1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inside the Racist Republican Voter ID Sham in North Carolina

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's just so disappointing that in 2016 a major party would actively work to strip away the right for blacks and hispanics to vote and then try to package it as preventing fraud.

And yet this isn't even major news as the media doesn't even care. This is the most important thing for people to pay attention to - far more important than emails or what a great guy Putin is or even tax disclosures.

Why isn't this plastered on the front page of every media outlet?

This is the kind of stuff that pushes me so far away from the Republican party. This is why I can't trust that party. Because this kind of behavior at a party level is acceptable. It's not conservatism I fear - it's this level of cynical politics.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Speaking of conservatives, these are the types of posts we saw in the original North Carolina Voter ID law thread. Mocking of minorities and the court's decision to strike down the law.

Then there was the thread, posted by bigotexx (what a surprise), where the Supreme Court weakened the Voting Rights Act which has led to all these voter ID laws. He took his cues from weirdo Scalia and called it an antiquated racial entitlement. Doesn't look so antiquated now.

Antiquated racial entitlement about to get hacked by the SCOTUS

3. dmoneybangbang

Typical All Hat and No Cattle Texx.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U9c_KttvQPU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man I've been waiting for all the people that say black people have no grievances and everything is perfect now to show up and share their POV on this...

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They will ignore this set of facts that points out the injustice just like they've ignored all the other studies and facts, and still claim that it doesn't exist anymore.

6. CometsWin

I got this anonymous rep from one of you mensa dudes on here. Apparently the person is not familiar with the term racial discrimination and how that's derived from racism. Unreal. Not only do we have to bend over backwards to show over and over and over and over again that this exists, because there are actual live human beings who continue to deny it, now we have to explain the intricacies of racism and racial discrimination. Lazy and ignorant. LOL

Please learn the difference between racism and discrimination and stop using the word racism so often and inappropriately. It's lazy and ignorant.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So sad that Republicans put restrictions on voting at the polls where there is no fraud but don't put any restrictions on absentee ballots where there is fraud. Just further shows that the true aim is to win elections. But that's obvious.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

This is something most commonly heard from the left, specifically the "black people can't be racist" crowd.

9. CometsWin

There's nothing sweeter than you invoking the black people can't be racist card in a thread about white legislators trying to disenfranchise black voters.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What do you have to say about the thread's topic and not anonymous rep comments?

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Guess he has nothing to say then.

12. CometsWin

StupidMoniker has voluntarily segregated himself from the facts.

13. StupidMoniker

I just thought it was funny that someone used the old "learn the difference between racism and discrimination" line against you. I have only ever seen that line pulled out by the people arguing that insert minority group can't be insert appropriate -ist/ism because they don't have power, and thus while they can discriminate, they can't be (for example) racist.
    I don't particularly care a lot about Voter ID. I think the difficulty in getting government issued photo ID is negligible. I would prefer we more substantially limit voting (for example, limiting voting to land owners, disqualification of anyone receiving public benefits, maybe even limiting voting to veterans) because fully half of the people are dumber than the average person (and the average person probably isn't smart enough to have a worthwhile opinion on most issues of governance). Such radical changes would require a constitutional amendment, and by the nature of the process would require that people actually vote away their own voting rights (or forego casting a ballot when such is on the table) so it isn't going to happen.

I would not gameplan around race, though I can understand why a party that gets less than 10% support from a particular voting bloc would want to limit said bloc's participation from a purely mathematical perspective. I draw a distinction between things that are facially discriminatory (black people can't vote) and things which have a discriminatory effect (felons can't vote). If the rule is facially race neutral, I am okay with it. See above re: Voter ID.
    I'm sorry I didn't see two one sentence replies in a thread two days ago. My response is above. You're welcome.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

By your criteria, I can make the point that no one should be voting. Unless you are completely off the grid in some completely isolated place with no interaction to anyone, you are receiving some type of public benefits. Might as well be a dictatorship.

I know you don't mean it that way, but that's the level of dangerous in that type of thinking. I think your statement is full of ignorance and reflect that you are dumb. Certainly dumber than half of the people. Thus, you shouldn't be allowed to vote. I'm not deluded and never wrong.

15. StupidMoniker

Many people pay into the government for services. I am of course talking about the people that are getting direct benefits, not those that benefit from societal goods. If the government is paying for your food and shelter, you don't need to have a say in how the government is spending other people's money. If the government collectively uses your and other people's money to maintain a military and build roads, it is perfectly reasonable for you to put your figurative two cents in, as they are relying on your literal two cents.
    You are welcome to your own wrong opinion. :p

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well hey, thanks for at least commenting in the thread and not doing your best to completely ignore its existence.

What's funny is his criteria would make a lot of sense...for Democrats. If the Democrats were trying to control voting then it would do so exactly as he planned out, that is trying to make sure more educated people vote.

It's simply a fact that the more educated a voter is the more likely they vote democratic.

Let's also remember that how the GOP treats minorities isn't lost on minorities. It'll always be less than 10% if their minority outreach is to marginalize their vote. When you add this to the decades long Southern Strategy you have to ask yourself who really is behind the racial 'division' that so many conservatives would like to put at the feet of Obama.

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Europeans use photo ID's.

#bemorelikeeurope

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What do you think about the contents of the thread and not a hashtag you made up?

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

My opinion is never wrong. If it can be wrong, I would never suggest who can or can't vote.

Over 100k houses in Baton Rouge and bunch of businesses just got flooded. Some community completely destroyed - resident can't return and businesses gutted. These are people of all colors, all incomes and all "smarts".

They ALL are eligible for government DIRECT assistance and most of them already have at least some level of assistance. Some of them will also get government sponsor loan that is up to 25 years at very low rate to rebuild their home and businesses. Some will get up to 2M loan to help restore their business. Some get up to 200K to help restore their house. Some get $2K for a temp housing. Some get grants up to 15K to rebuild 1 bath, 1 kitchen, 1 BR to a livable condition (because there is no housing left to be had in BR area due to wide spread damages). Some get grants up to 33K to rebuild their house over the long term. Everyone get extended time to file tax because it's recognized that the whole community, whether individual is impacted is not, can help each other and shouldn't worry about paper work for a few months.

You think these 'unlucky' people shouldn't vote - that's your level of crazy.

There are folks that build their business from ground up, work long hours and hard, then medical disaster strike a family member. They go bankrupt and are now living under government assistance.

You think these 'unlucky' people shouldn't vote either- craziness.

There are plenty of folks that work hard and long for minimum wage. They have to support their family. They take on a 2nd job but unfortunately it's still not enough. They get government direct assistance for food.

You think these hard working people shouldn't vote either - more craziness.

Go ahead and re-tune your criteria to find the 'dumb' people. But I already made my decision based on my internal logic that can never be wrong. You are dumber than average and should never vote.

20. CometsWin

Obviously anyone of any race can be racist, it's stupid to argue otherwise. This argument you're referring to is based on racism and power. Those racists who collectively have no power pose little to no material threat to those who hold power while those racists who collectively hold power pose a dramatic threat to those who don't hold power.

This is why it's laughable when white people complain about black racism when the Black Panthers walk around with their rifles or Quanell X dares to take an issue that affects black communities to the media. How does any of that affect your lives in much of any way? Not at all. Whereas when a bunch of North Carolina white legislators intentionally target black voters to disenfranchise them it poses a material threat to their freedom. They're marginalizing minorities, very intentionally so and that's a lot bigger deal then some black guy with a sign saying whitey sucks.

Honestly, it's completely laughable that the most racially charged posters on this board are deaf, dumb, and blind when it comes to documented instances of racism against minorities are the first dorks to complain about black racism. What? Yeah.