1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In fit of irony, Scalia's words are used to expand same-sex marriage in two states.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Conservative-justice-s-words-boost-same-sex-5093049.php

I guess you give the man a point for being astute.

Then maybe two for karmic retribution.

2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

What Fedral or State benefits do married couples receive in the USA? Just curious.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ones that should be rethought and removed if necessary.

4. itstheyear3030

"Married" status affects a lot of things. For most people, it mostly affects taxes; the US tax code is structured to give married people a fairly significant advantage over single people. I would assume it also affects most state taxes. In addition, the definition of "married" also affects other government-related things such as immigration, adoption, availability/amount of certain government programs/financial aid programs, etc.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I believe probate and insurance protections are provided to married couples... eg, assets may be automatically transferred to the surviving spouse that would instead be held up in probate.

6. NewRoxFan

Wow... you would prefer a significant increase in federal income taxes and probate taxes than to provide equal rights to gay people?

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I took it that he was saying Married people should not get any tax breaks just because they are married.

8. NewRoxFan

Understood, and posted previously. But the question remains. Our laws already provided the benefits to married couples... so, does the poster want higher taxes? Or does he want to continue to discriminate against gay people?

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Also the right to consult with doctors about spouse's medical condition and make decisions if necessary.

10. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

https://www.hrc.org/resources/entry...ts-and-protections-granted-to-married-couples

be careful about being spiteful about equal rights, there's a whole lot more entrenched then most people could ever fathom. Why be petty, and deny a group of citizens such unequal access to fundamental protections?

I suppose that is if you believe families are beneficial for society, which is the current of thought that permeates American politics. Regardless, nobody should be excluded from a category of rights reserved for groups for arbitrary and irrational reasons. That is the anti-thesis of what America is about.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You want to argue for the sake of arguing. Believing that a bad idea should not be further shared is not discrimination. And its not just about taxes.

The 'traditional' marriage was geared towards a man, a wife and kids. Again, traditionally, the man went to work, the woman stayed home and took care of the kids. This tradition is not as common.

That said, when you have a family (ie. kids/dependents), I do believe there should be extended benefits. I really don't care if they are Christian, Muslim or Athiest. Or if they are straight or gay. Black or White. Or any other hot topic.

If you have two adults who are completely capable of taking care of themselves and no dependents, then there are some benefits that should not be extended, regardless of sexuality.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I agree with you, Space Ghost. My wife and I would even fit under your example.

But, wow, the timing of the suddenly pro-tax stance comes off as politically tone deaf as the anti-voter fraud shenanigans.