1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impeachment???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Nov 6, 2018.

?

Impeach Trump?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

From author/commentator/lecturer David Gerrold:

"The report clearly outlines the circumstances of a political party cooperating with a foreign government, followed by efforts to cover up that cooperation...

It's this obvious -- the conversation about impeachment is no longer about if. Now it's about when and how."

From Professor Steve Dooner:

"Here is a single sentence summary of the Mueller report that is way better than Barr’s four page obfuscation:

'The conclusion that Congress may apply the obstruction laws to the president’s corrupt exercise of the powers of office accords with our constitutional system of checks and balances and the principle that no person is above the law.”—Robert Mueller' "

I've been reading comparisons to Watergate/impending Nixon impeachment. What Trump has done is far, far worse than attempt to cover up, after the fact, a third-rate burglary attempt. Support percentage for Nixon at the start of impeachment consideration was in the high 50s, support for impeachment in the teens. As the House hearings progressed and the general population learned of the details and evidence, support for impeachment was in the high 50s and support for Nixon at 19%. Those who are accepting of the Trump administration after the publication of the Mueller report essentially don't read. They aren't seeing the facts of the situation. But when committee hearings begin, televised, they will see the meat of the matter, just as the general population did during the Watergate affair, and when they see the corruption, the cooperation, the eagerness for help from our paramount geopolitical enemy, sentiment will inevitably change.

#241 quikkag, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The report doesn't outline any collusion. Let it go

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Trump-haters questioned how Barr and his group of attorneys came to their conclusion so quickly after the report was released — while they themselves had drawn conclusions two years before the report was released.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is unfit for office, but politics are not about being fit or unfit for office. Dems have to do what they think is best for their party and what's best for the country - and those things are not independent.

If Dems impeach, that's it, the Senate will not take it up and the whole thing is over. The advantage of waiting is that there are ongoing investigations will make a stronger case for impeachment which may pull in more of a bipartisan effort. As the economy cools, more Trump scandals come out, and the nation pays more attention to things with an election on the horizon, it may be the force necessary to unify the nation against Trump.

While Pence would be a nightmare of a president on many levels, he is not the bungling near criminal Trump is. And for the sake of the nation, a hollow impeachment that goes anywhere is not the goal. The goal is to remove Trump one way or the other. And throwing impeachment too soon only risk even further polarizing this country and making our democracy even weaker.

biff17 likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree here so you are basically stating impeachment accomplishes nothing.

Then why impeach? Moral prerogative? Trump has successfully created doubt in this country that he committed obstruction. And there is no way to know if that was his intent or merely his way of protecting himself from what he truly saw as a witch hunt. There's not enough to nail Trump to the wall - that is have enough Rs in the senate turn against him., but it's lurking somewhere out there.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Nobody should pre-judge the outcome.
    2. You should do what is right and live with the consequences whatever they may be.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

What is correct about impeachment?

What purpose does it serve?

To further expose the fact that Trump is corrupt and incompetent?

That is already known by people who are reasonable.

Even if the Senate was on board he would still be president in 20/20, I would rather vote him out and let the criminal courts deal with him after he is voted out.

8. biff17

biff17 Member

What exactly are the benefits of he still remains president?

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I believe it serves to show that corruption has its limits. Not impeaching sends two signals.
    1. Criminal behavior is to be excused.
    2. The Democrats are too weak and ineffective to do anything about criminal behavior from the Executive Branch .

AkeemTheDreem86 and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. biff17

biff17 Member

Actually this is incorrect the Democrats gained seats in both the Congress and The Senate and Gore barely lost.

and we all know Republicans have become the party of grievances it's what Trump won on, democrats don't usually vote on emotion republicans definitely do.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

but that is my point. Gore did lose. There was no punishment for impeaching a president far more popular than Trump.

12. biff17

biff17 Member

the fact you miss is impeachment can drive folks to vote that, curtailing the Trump fatigue that would make people stay home that definitely hurt Hilary.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I get it. It is not certain. It may or may not hurt. Either way that shouldn't be a determining factor.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

Impeaching does nothing to limit Trumps behaviour he would still be president.I

Democrats are doing something about his behaviour by investigations going on currently and will continue.D

voters are the ones who have to show that criminal behavior won't be tolerated, the Democrats can only do so much.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why impeach? I think it's because it's time for the Democrats and Never-Trumpers to put up or shut up. Either the obstruction section of the Mueller report is as bad as critics say, in which case impeachment is the only morally justified course of action to take, or it is not--in which case Trump opposition voices need to shut up and wait for the next Presidential election to serve as a referendum on the Trump presidency.

16. biff17

biff17 Member

Republicans lost seats in both houses of Congress and Bush ran a better campaign than Gore.

You are basing your whole argument on the fact that Gore lost when there are many other variables.

You have yet to give me any tangible benefits that will come from impeachment.

17. biff17

biff17 Member

So you are ok if Trump gets elected again and this country is further divided so that the house impeaches Trump?

I don't understand this logic.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I believe that not acting out of fear is the wrong thing to do.

Nobody knows what the result will be of acting unless they actually act.

Meanwhile simply restraining oneself from acting out of fear is a weak move.

In my opinion, and I admit it just my opinion, nobody will be more likely to vote for Democrats because they refused to act. "Gee, I'm going to vote for a Democrat. I wasn't sure, but after they failed to hold the president accountable, I believe that's the kind of leadership we need."

I realize it won't stop Trump's criminal behavior but it sends the right message to future people in the office of President. Not acting sends the wrong message.

I was in favor of waiting for the report. I waited. I read it. I think the time for waiting is done.

No matter how much people might be annoyed by it now, so much will happen between now and the election more than a year from now that it will be an afterthought. I don't believe it will weigh heavily on the voter's mind.

AkeemTheDreem86 and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm kinda with @FranchiseBlade on this one.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. biff17

biff17 Member

I think a stronger message to figure criminal actors is criminal court and the ongoing investigations that can contribute to that.

I think impeachment does not have enough yet to really deter anyone who does not have a conscience like Trump.