1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Im trying to cut the cord, but the obstacles are too great.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is interesting
    I am looking into it. . . my wife is not so much a techy
    but
    she does not watch alot of TV either

Rocket River

2. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Anyone have Gears TV? Its an IPTV service. I'm thinking about trying it out.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I cut about a month ago. I couldn't stand Directv's garbage service and them nearly doubling my rates after refusing to negotiate (they did once I called to cancel but I couldn't take it anymore). I went with the Xfinity 250 plan. I'll have to add the no-cap fee since we now only stream and I work from home. I chose PSVue and Philo for my live tv streaming. I have Netflix, Amazon, and access to Hulu, too. Missing the live games right now but my dad is likely to bump up his current Directv pacakge to access ATTSN. Once he does that, I'll just use his account...hopefully before Opening Day on Thursday.

I started with Hulu live but I was missing too many channels I love and I found their interface difficult to use. I like PSVue so far and I essentially picked up Philo for the Viacom channels (Comedy Central mostly). The 2 combined are a little more than Hulu but it was worth it to get the channels I wanted.

If anything, I'm just enjoying not losing service when a cloud passes by. I absolutely hated Directv. Their boxes were complete garbage. They also put me in a 2-year contract that I never knew about. They did it when I had a box replaced that failed. Apparently that was part of the deal of them replacing the box. Plus, the 1000mb service isn't available in The Woodlands and won't be for some time. I won't even get into the terrible coverage in my house I got from the AT&T router. Was paying for 100 and maybe got 50 most of the time. I'm paying for 250 with Xfinity and getting ~260-275 download.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The big thing is you have more freedom. I'm trying Hulu + Live TV this week. If I don't like it, i'll try another. My big thing is no one but me was watching Comcast Cable, everyone was streaming and I started to blow thru my data caps. Going to the Gigspeed and then paying for Unlimited solve the data cap issue. Any streaming + Live TV service will be about equal to what I was paying and cheaper than the increase for the Bundle Comcast was trying to do. Since I get HBO free thru my cell plan, the ONLY thing I missing is AT&T sport net SW. I still tempted to use FuboTV.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How much did they give the 250 plan to you for? They wouldn't give me new customer pricing and they wanted $80 for 150mb download. After I mentioned ATT fiber (in the area, but not live in my neighborhood), they offered GigSpeed (1000mb) for 2 years at $89. Ill take that.....and re-visit in 2 years...lol (Hopefully, AT&T fiber is live and I can REALLY negotiate by then.).

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

$69 but I also took their gateway. I'll probably get my own soon..though I do like the parental controls through their app. With taxes, I'm around $85. $89 for gigspeed would be a good deal. Since AT&T fiber is nowhere near coming to my area soon, I couldn't use that threat. AT&T has claimed they're close...for 4 years.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

ATT literally laid Fiber 3-4 years ago. I talk to their sales manager in the area as he was notifying residents about it. Yet, they I have not seen it active ANYWHERE in a 10 mile radius.

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Att fiber 1gb unlimited in the clay Tanner area for 60 bucks 1 year .That's a great price . I'm currently paying 80 cut the same plan . Promotional as well.

9. body slam

body slam Member

Simple question why are you cutting the cord?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

just got the Google home hub for the kitchen and it makes youtube tv even better.

I can wash dishes and watch Harden get fouled no whistle at the same time!

J Sizzle likes this.
  11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I had direct TV for years and was always happy with everything but the cost. 2 years back I finally cut the cord. I bought a TIVO OTA DVR and an antenna for local channels and NBA Team pass to catch the rockets games. I recently started with Youtube TV to catch the TNT games etc but I'll stop that after the playoffs are over. I don't miss those $200+ DTV bills

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Because 2 kids left the house in recent years and the last on games. My wife watches Netflix and Amazon...for the most part. The TV part of the bundle was being neglected and we kept bumping up to and going over the datacap. Upgrading the internet and getting unlimited, while getting rid of TV saved money (Comcast was trying to jack up the price of my bundle by $60.). Now, i can choose the streaming service I want for live TV.

body slam likes this.
  13. jacoby

jacoby Member

A few people mentioned live sports.

reddit.com/r/nbastreams
    reddit.com/r/mlbstreams
    reddit.com/r/nflstreams
    reddit.com/r/mmastreams

14. body slam

body slam Member

this what I been doing for close to 10 years.

antenna for local channels
    NBC, ABC, FOX, CW free apps for shows I missed. Screw CBS because they want me to pay for their service
    radio for Astros and Rockets
    I keep Netflix year round
    once or twice a year I'll add HBO or Showtime for a month and binge the shows I want to see
    plus a few other free apps

I went from $90 a month for cable to less than $200 a year streaming

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

They will eventually shut those down like they did /r/soccerstreams. Bottom line is OP is right. Package based service is outdated and the market doesn't want it anymore. We want a-la-cart consumption and these leagues need to get with the program. Problem is most of their tv deals run for dozens of years. The NBA TNT/ESPN deal for example was recently extended to cover 18 years I think. Doesn't end until 2026. It sucks and the truth is I watch sports a whole lot less then I used to for a lot a reasons including product availability. I'd consume more if they would let me. That said, over the last few years I've attended more games in the arena for the same reasons so not all bad.

16. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

my bro got it last year ... gets every channel , including hbo, showtime, starz etc... Hd too.
    But as I said earlier. I can hook up clutchfans with sling tv.. hit me up if you want more info

#56 tochiee22, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How? Started a conversations....PM

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Sling tv
    no problem... enjoy.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Shoutout to @jacoby for this. Now, I can survive the lack of AT&T sports net SW until they expand their streaming availability.