1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm a dad! Welcome the world's newest Rockets fan!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This is going to be a long post, so skip down to the TL;DR if you don't care about my sappy story :) . It's very personal, but Clutchfans is like an extended family to me, so I want to share it.

My wife and I have been trying to conceive for almost 10 years. We're high school sweethearts and got married back in 2001, with the expectation of starting a family soon. Needless to say, after trying for a while we realized that something was wrong and went to get checked out. They eventually discovered that we both had some issues, with mine being the more serious of the two. They found that I have something called a balanced chromosome translocation, in which parts of 2 of my chromosomes broke off and attached to each other. I'm otherwise healthy, but it causes big problems when trying to conceive. We soon learned getting pregnant naturally wasn't going to be in the cards for us, and that IVF would be our only option.

I was lucky enough back then to have insurance coverage for IVF (an unfortunately rare thing among providers), so we dove right in for our first IVF cycle back in 2003. We were young, naaive, and thought for sure it would work. Obviously it didn't, and we were crushed. Not only did the cycle fail, the doctors said things looked so bad that even IVF would be a longshot for us, so we should consider other options if we really wanted to have kids. Those other options would be either adoption, or using donor sperm, both of which we would consider very seriously over the years.

Infertility puts a strain on relationships that is unimaginable. It's heartbreaking to have doctor's shatter the dream you've had your entire life of starting a family. The stress that this put on our marriage was the major contributor leading to us getting divorced in 2006. That's a long enough story for a whole other post, but we spent a couple years apart and eventually found our way back to each other. In 2010, we married each other for a 2nd time.

Last year in March of 2012, we decided we were to the point that we wanted to try IVF again. We were living in Austin then, and found a new doctor and a fresh sense of optimism. We went through our 2nd cycle, which was another failure and we got to experience the heartbreak all over again. This doctor also told us it wasn't going to happen, and that we should move on. She said we could try again, but don't expect different results. Soon after that we decided as a couple to try 1 more cycle of IVF. We were sure it would fail, but we needed one more try in order to move forward with the other options of starting our family. We went into our 3rd cycle in August of 2012, highly cynical with no hope of success. We only had 1 embryo to transfer, and it was really poor quality and the lab gave it their lowest grade and very little chance of implantation. As you might have guessed, it worked :) .

Last night at 11:54 PM my wife gave birth to our daughter, and I still can't quite believe that this is real. Our little girl is great, mom is great, and we can't wait to start our life together.

Please join me in welcoming to the world our little girl, Ms. Olive Marlowe Harrison.

[​IMG]

TL;DR After years of struggling with infertility, my daughter was born last night!

14 people like this.
  2. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Congrats! Happy for you, she's adorable.

1 person likes this.
  3. Swag

Swag Member

grats dude!

1 person likes this.
  4. bucket

bucket Member

Congratulations! Have an internet cigar on me.

1 person likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Badass!!! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Congrats, dude. Very happy for you and your family.

1 person likes this.
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Awesome news. You must be over the moon. Congrats.

1 person likes this.
  8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

That's so awesome! I'm glad you and wife got a second chance. She is a beautiful little girl. You will have so much fun being a dad. Best day of my life besides our wedding was the day our daughter was born.

1 person likes this.
  9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Congrats, virtual cigars all around!

1 person likes this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I am sincerely so happy for you!!! What great news!!!

Congrats to you, Harrisment!!

1 person likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Nice going breh!

Make her a CF moniker this very day. Jontro13.

1 person likes this.
  12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Congratulations! Great back-story too!

13. gambingo

gambingo Member

Gratz man!!!

1 person likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Babies are always awesome! And doubly so since you guys have been plugging at it so hard for so long. Congratulations!

1 person likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Awesome! Congrats. I can't imagine how happy y'all must be.

1 person likes this.
  16. arubato

arubato Member

Grats bro! Pretty sure you'll be a good dad. Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  17. the shark

the shark Member

thanks SO much for sharing your story.

She's a beautiful little girl and glad to hear that both her and your wife are doing great. God has a wonderful plan for this little girl, and what's awesome it took the two of you getting back together after divorcing.

Went through a similar situation with my wife where they didn't she'd be able to conceive, and by the Grace of god we have two wonderful/healthy kids.

I thought I knew what love was, but NOTHING compares to the love for a child. It will change your life beyond anything you could ever imagine.

God bless to you and your new family and thanks again for sharing your story.

2 people like this.
  18. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Great story. Congrats. Oh, and good job on picking a nice name!

1 person likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Congratulations :)

1 person likes this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Great to hear, congrats and all the best to your family. :)

1 person likes this.