1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Illegal Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HookemHorns1250, Apr 22, 2009.

1. HookemHorns1250

This is my first thread ever, and it's something that has bothered me for a while now. I noticed that many..many times Yao posted up, they had Pryz fronting, and LaMarcus behind him in the paint. Isn't that illegal defense? Scola would be camping out a few feet in front of the three point line and got quite a few open jumpers but just couldn't knock them down.

Am I the only one that noticed this? Or did some of ya'll see that LaMarcus was playing illegal defense for most of the game when Yao was in?

Sorry again if this was not thread worthy, I was just wondering if maybe I was missing something.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, Aldridge was in the lane for more than the 3 seconds allowed..but I guess the refs were out of breath from all the other whistles they blew.

DD

3. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Yep..I noticed this SO MANY TIMES and yet no whistle. Hopefully this will be brought to the leagues attention and be more closely looked at for the rest of the series

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

With the new rules you can double team a player without the ball now. They really need to figure out a way to lob the ball over the fronting defender. yao is not athletic enough to get to the lob unfortunately. It's worked a few times but it's almost gotta be perfect with Yao whereas Hakeem was able to improvise a lot of times.

5. Pocket Rockets

aren't you allowed to be in the lane as long as you are within arm's length of an offensive player?

6. HookemHorns1250

But I thought that the player was not allowed to be in the paint?

7. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

we need an avid owner like mark cuban for this issue to be brought to the league's attention.

8. Pocket Rockets

or just have scolandry make their jumpshots

9. HookemHorns1250

Well, I guess they can say that LaMarcus was the one that was guarding Yao, and Pryz was just doubling (But not in the lane) so they could get away with it. But again, I thought the rule was that you can not double a player when one of them is in the paint.

10. HookemHorns1250

But your not allowed to double a player while still in the paint. Pryz was guarding Yao, and LaMarcus just sat in the line behind Yao in the paint, which I thought is illegal.

11. MD_in_Training

I think you still can't stay in the paint for more than 3 seconds.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

The old illegal deffens ruls used to be you could not double a man withought the ball and you cannot be located in the lane withought being an arm lenght of a guarded player.

13. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

From my understanding is he can be in the paint as long as he's within an arm's length of the player he is defending. If he's not within that range that's when the 3 second defensive rule comes into effect. They are pretty liberal with it but not with Yao. You can always see Yao doing his best to get out of the paint in 3 seconds.

14. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

You can't stay in the paint if you are doubling a player, that rule being within arm's length is for one on one.