1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ilhan Omar tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 18, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's more irnkic coming from Obama.

Ilhan has never said something as damning and exclusive than saying that conservatives cling on to bibles and guns. Talk about not being inclusive to others. Hypocrisy at its finest.

And I've never seen posters like @rocketsjudoka condemn that statement from Obama as divisive and hurting our electoral chances.

There is no high horse here. No one deserves it including Obama.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You do lose people with "defund the police", because it comes across as portraying the police as the enemy. There's a right and wrong way to create conversation over budgets for public safety. He's also right that conservative voters often cling on to bibles and guns. I don't see how holding both views is hypocritical.

3. fchowd0311

I agree with Obama on the content. I disagree with a president saying that as it causes distrust amongst Christians and gun owners who are also Americans citizens. I wouldn't want my president also doing open criticism of Quranic text that are violent even though I agree with him because I don't want my president to make large parts of the population feel like their leadership isn't in office for them also.

That's the hypocrisy here. He's saying "defund the police" turns off voters when at the same time, Obama saying "conservatives cling on to their guns and bibles" also pushed away voters.

Other topics establishment Democrats push for also turns away voters such as "assault rifle" bans. Why no criticism of that platform?

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't agree with Obama saying that conservatives cling to Bibles and guns. I thought that was divisive. I didn't agree with Obama's statements on "Trayvon could've been his son" I also thought he shouldn't have injected himself in that situation. I was very critical of Obama's Beer Summit with Henry Louis Gates and the Boston LEO.

That said Obama hasn't said we should "Defund or Abolish" the Police. He's acknowledged how difficult and fraught that rhetoric is and it's likely going to cost a good chunk of Minneapolis' city government in the next election

There is a real political costs that is coming from that rhetoric here in Omar's own district. While Omar won her election it's telling that her primary opponent got 42% of the vote which is very rare. Usually those races are won by 80%+.

tinman likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

She also had to reimburse back $3,500 too and yes that her House colleagues criticized one of their own is telling.

And if she didn't wear a hijab or was white would you be defending her so much?

You're quick to accuse others of bias but have you considered your defense of Omar, even to the point of throwing another non-white politician under the bus is being motivated by bias?

King1 likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brother you are a true intellectual
    You are more Hakeem than Steve Francis

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

"Defund the Police" is a big issue here in Minneapolis. Minneapolis was the first city where the City Council publicly jumped on this. This has been a very rough summer and fall in Minneapolis for crime with a spike in violent crimes. In the meantime there has been no clear plan and many councilors have had to back track on their rhetoric. While Omar isn't in city government this clearly is an issue that affects her district and constituents. Just the other day there was a car jacking a few blocks from where her campaign office was located.

Instead of showing thoughtful leadership on the subject she is now quarrelling with Obama over the term. As another poster noted she's far more interested in being an activist rather than being a Representative.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I see what you’re saying, but his comment was more off the cuff, one that in retrospect he perhaps feels wasn’t wise, while “defund the police” is a political slogan. So it’s not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. I still wouldn’t call that hypocrisy.

9. fchowd0311

Eh was Obama ever criticizing Democrat establishment for using "assault weapons ban" rhetoric because that putts off many voters also, many of whom might have liberal views in race and healthcare but think that it's a fundamental right to own a firearm. There are many people like that just like I guess there are many people who think there are good cops who don't like "defund the police" who still might like Biden and are moderate.

What about abortion? That's also a issue that might disuade indenodent moderates to vote Democrat. There is a lot of selective outrage at what scares away potential voters.

10. fchowd0311

In that hypothetical she wouldn't need defending. That's the point. White politicians are going to have signficant more benefit of the doubt than a hijabi Muslim woman in congress. My defending individuals has nothing to do with color of their skin or religion. A white woman saying what Omar said will simply never be accused of being anti-semetic.

I don't hold water for politicians. I praise and defund Obama when needed and critics him when needed. What he is doing here is hypocrisy and selective concern. He won't say the the same thing about weapons bans or other wedge issues that Democrats have that can scare potential voters away. Obama doesn't need protection. He's got enough of that from our established networks. They do an excellent job of holding him above reproach.

11. fchowd0311

Where's Obama's criticism of Beto advocating for weapon bans and confiscations?

I would say that scares far more potential voters away from the Democrat platform than "defund the police".

God damn, "**** the police" is often shared by rural conservatives and liberals. It's a more common sentiment than wanting to ban large swaths of firearms.

So where is you concern there? Hence why I call it selective concern from a predisposed biased hatred of Ilhan.

#591 fchowd0311, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  12. fchowd0311

I would say Obama's comment is far more damaging because to religous Americans or people who own firearms, that gives a much more deeper insight from their perspective of how Obama thinks of them and therefore creates more mistrust than advocating to "defund the police".

"Defund the police" doesn't disrespect a large religous group or signficant cultural aspect of America.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"STATEMENT ON CONGRESSWOMAN OMAR EQUATING THE UNITED STATES AND ISRAEL TO HAMAS AND THE TALIBAN":

https://schneider.house.gov/media/p...r-equating-united-states-and-israel-hamas-and

STATEMENT ON CONGRESSWOMAN OMAR EQUATING THE UNITED STATES AND ISRAEL TO HAMAS AND THE TALIBAN
    June 9, 2021
    Press Release

WASHINGTON— Today, Representative Brad Schneider led Representatives Jake Auchincloss, Ted Deutch, Lois Frankel, Josh Gottheimer, Elaine Luria, Kathy Manning, Jerrold Nadler, Dean Phillips, Kim Schrier, Brad Sherman, Debbie Wasserman Schultz in releasing the following joint statement:

Equating the United States and Israel to Hamas and the Taliban is as offensive as it is misguided. Ignoring the differences between democracies governed by the rule of law and contemptible organizations that engage in terrorism at best discredits one’s intended argument and at worst reflects deep-seated prejudice.

The United States and Israel are imperfect and, like all democracies, at times deserving of critique, but false equivalencies give cover to terrorist groups. We urge Congresswoman Omar to clarify her words placing the US and Israel in the same category as Hamas and the Taliban.

###

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So this is based on a recent tweet of hers on Monday where she said:

What she said is factually accurate, so not sure that is the same as equating the US to Hamas

15. fchowd0311

Hamas was democratically elected by Palestinians. And they didn't need an electoral college or gerrymandering to win legislative seats.

Also why not actually link what Omar said?

The only difference between Hamas and countries like the US and Israel in terms of atrocities committed is military strength. The underdeveloped entity with a weak military will use more unconventional methods to attack their enemy. Israel and the US are far more efficient in killing civilians though but since the US is the world's hegomonic power, when we say "but we kill civilians responsibly", the world just nods their head knowing there are 10 US nuclear powered Naval carriers around the world ready to invade any country at a moment's notice.

Too many Americans such as yourself have a fundamental issue with understanding perspectives outside their bubble. You don't think a kid who had their parents killed from a badly placed airstrike in Afghanistan or Iraq doesn't think of the US as a terroristic entity?

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

17. fchowd0311

Assuming the articles you share with zero commentary you endorse as your views.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Certainly the US has done horrible things but this is again one of those statements that she frequently makes that are meant to be inflammatory. I don't find if much different from Trump saying "We're killers too" when asked whether Putin is a killer. While yes the US has killed people that said the US isn't Putin's Russia nor is it Hamas.

JumpMan likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

Ya the US is far more efficient at killing people outside their "tribe" or sphere of empathy than Russia and Hamas.

Also the reason Trump should be criticized for that statement is because his motivation or alleged motivation to say that was because allegedly Putin had influence over him.

Illhan Omar said that not because Hamas has control over her. It's because that's what she sincerely believes and she has reasonable grounds to make that statement if you look at this from a pure analytical perspective of how many civilians each group here have killed.

As Americans we have a difficult time stepping outside our bubble. It's a good thing we have people like Omar to shake us out of it. There are millions of victims of US foerign policy in terms of losing loved ones. They all rationally believe the US is terroristic. How about we acknowledge their perspective. If not for bleeding heart reasons, maybe just the pragmatic reasoning to prevent more future enemies?

#600 fchowd0311, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Jugdish likes this.