1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ilhan Omar tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 18, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The FBI isn't going to start an investigation based on a post on a forum and conservative blog.

Be happy that she was raised in a Somali refugee camp and became successful even if you disagree with her ideologically.

Should Congress pursue an individual with much more clout(the President of the United States) for tax fraud given the significantly more stronger evidence?

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Unless it was for the immigration status of the Brit...

I've tried reading up on it. Mostly seems conspiracy theory crap, but I suppose you never know anyones motivation. For all I know they were having a poly style relationship, which to each their own.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so you’re saying what about Trump

Astrodome likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

Yes I am and it's well warranted given that the poster I'm responding to all of a sudden cares about tax fraud from an individual with signficantly less clout with less evidence relative to the President of the United States who has been documented to lie about how much his father's properties were worth when he inherited them.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The article you quoted says she already cleared up the legal issues around her mis-filing her taxes. If you're not aware, if the IRS finds a problem with your tax return, they don't always immediately go to the tax fraud prosecution angle. It sounds to me like she bounced between husbands, thought she could file her taxes a certain way, found out she was wrong, and corrected it. We're talking a few thousand bucks at most.

As for the immigration angle, I can't see one unless it was to get a green card for Elmi. But wouldn't it be pretty easy to sleuth it out instead of publishing some innuendo? And, I still see no reason at all to speculate they are siblings.

And for the other stuff, I don't care. Her faith marriages are irrelevant to me. The only marriages of hers that counts for me are the legal ones, and they don't overlap. Faith-based marriages can be relevant for bigamy if they're a vehicle for abuse, like for Warren Jeffs. But if there isn't something really terrible being perpetrated, it'd be wrong to call the twists and turns of her marital life bigamy. If the Muslim community has a problem with it, they can vote against her, bring mosque discipline, or whatever. I don't have a problem with it. Her having children by two different fathers makes her a pretty average American. Trump has children by how many different women? Was it bigamy when he maintained all these concurrent sexual relationships?

durvasa and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Minnesota Lawmaker Calls For Ethics Investigation Into Rep. Ilhan Omar

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A Minnesota state representative and leading critic of U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar is on the attack again, calling for an ethics investigation into Omar.

Omar has found herself in controversy over her personal life as well as state campaign finance violations. She has admitted to the campaign finance violations and has agreed to pay back over $3,000.

The investigation also revealed she had filed joint tax returns with her partner and father of her children when she was still legally married to another man.

Rep. Steve Drazkowski (R-Mazeppa), a persistent critic of Omar, held a press conference Tuesday alleging that she may have committed various forms of fraud as well as perjury. At the press conference, Drazkowski asked for Omar’s colleague, U.S. Rep. Angie Craig (D-2nd District), to call for an ethics investigation in Congress.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I’m appalled she’s still here.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

How come I’m not surprised her comments were not denounced? but anyway..

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not surprised her comments weren't denounced either. There wasn't really anything to denounce.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Of course this type of talk is stupid and inflammatory from either direction, but if you're worried about terrorism, then statistically speaking she's right.

So, if you're not bothered by people saying Muslims or ethnic minorities/immigrants are dangerous, then you should have no problem with this statement either.

finalsbound and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yes.

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Of course not.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Really?
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/476456/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-shooter-s-race/
    Looks directly proportional to the population if you ask me.
    But now lets talk about murders and crime in general if you want to talk statistics.

15. fchowd0311

He wasn't referring to crime, he was referring to terrorism and right wing terrorism is by far an away the most frequent form of terrorism in this country that results in actual deaths.

Islamic extremism is far less frequent but with one outlier that produced mass casualties that puts its death toll in the past 30 years the highest but in terms of statistical probability of a type of terrorist act occuring that results in deaths in this country, right wing terrorism leads the way.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

You missed the part where the poster you just replied to isn't here for sincere debate.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Lol did either one of you look at the link? I was referring to mass shootings.

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I figured that, but I wanted to let them prove it to the rest of us on their own first.

20. fchowd0311

You linked data that categorizes by race not ideological leanings and you linked data that refers to mass shootings, not terrorist acts. Mass shootings are defined as any shooting that involves more than one death. A mass shooting can be a robbery gone wrong or work place disgruntlement and have nothing to do with political or religious motivation. Also mass shootings don't involve the a common means terrorists use to inflict casualties, explosives..

You already knew this when you linked that study and tried to make a claim about terrorism which either means you are dumb or insincere.

#380 fchowd0311, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019