1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Drayton faints.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

True. But talk is cheap. How much will Moreno push the price to before Crane/Luhnow say No? At how much should they say No? I don't think 250-275/7 is unrealistic for how crazy the price may go.

I will say that Crane has been infinitely better than my very low expectations for him when he bought the team. Really wish that Fertitta would follow in Crane's footsteps.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think our front office runs circles around others in all aspects... including contract negotiations.

Their cut-throat style, arrogance and shrewdness can also backfire (especially in the PR department).... but when it comes to running all aspects of a baseball team, I do not see them either negotiating against themselves or falling pray to any of the other Boras tactics.

They know that regardless of what Cole decides, they're still the favorites... thus they'll approach all negotiations as such.

BigM and Gray_Jay like this.
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

does not sound very promising. Sounds like Crane has a firm price and assuming we’ll get outbid, but will make our offer nonetheless.

Marteen and Gray_Jay like this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Screenshot_20191104-123746_Google.jpg

lw17 likes this.
  6. AstrosRockets1818

If not us, hope for the Giants

texans1095 and everyday eddie like this.
  7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Got to love Crane willing to go over the luxury tax. I wouldn't be willing to pay that for Cole however.

Marteen likes this.
  8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I still do not get the ignorance of national media. They want him to be a Yankee SO bad. Even Steinbrenner came out and admitted they will not be in the market for a high dollar arm. See below. With only 10 players signed right now they're at 170 million which includes pension and insurance. MLB Trade Rumors predicts 34.6 million in arbitration which would put them at 204.1 million NOT including others players needed to fill out the roster, so right there they are almost in luxury tax which Hal has said he wants no part of. We'll see I guess...

https://nypost.com/2019/11/03/the-luxury-tax-implications-of-aroldis-chapmans-yankees-extension/

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Baseball gets more revenue when the Yankees are "in it." The Red Sox have already declared themselves to no longer want to pay top dollar for sub-par results. The Dodgers won't be too far behind unless they win a WS soon.

The luxury tax has accomplished its intended purpose. And baseball in general has progressed to a market where only the teams in contention, or on the cusp, are spending money.... but short of the luxury tax penalties.

The biggest loser in all of this is the players... which is why an impending work stoppage in 2 years really concerns me unless the above average free agents start getting more money and longer years this free agency (which is doubtful).

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Jim Bowden doesn’t know ****.

lw17 and LonghornFan like this.
  11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Seems like mlb players are doing the best out of all the major sports and they are banking so I wouldn't call them losers.

Luxory tax needs to stay. Otherwise the Yankees and Dodgers will price out the market. Maybe a luxury tax on teams that don't spend a minimum amount could be imposed.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not calling them "losers"... just saying they are losing out on future earning potential based on market trends that is raising concerns within the players union.

They do play 162 games/year... and a solid 8 months of playing (playoffs, ST included). They're not making that much more/game than any other league out there, and there's still the issues of pre-free agency players making very little for 6+ years and now potentially no longer getting the huge payday for post-prime years that they once counted on,

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I thought he just did that Fantasy show on Sirius? Yeah...I take his speak with a grain of salt.

lw17 likes this.
  14. BleedsRocketRed

Not sure if anyone posted this already, or what his current FA status is, but if we strike out on Cole should we kick the tires on Madison Bumgarner?

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Bowden projecting 288m for Cole all but validates the notion that my original projection (same ballpark) is woefully incorrect.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I agree with this comment, I hate that the union has focused so much on the few above average free agents, and let the owners screw over pre-arbitration guys and minor leaguers.

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

We should get some good compensation picks for losing him right?

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It would be a pick after competitive balance round B. Between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Not as good as it used to be.

19. astros123

astros123 Member

I dont blame the guy at all. Hinch ****ed up and I doubt such "agreement" existed between Hinch and Cole. Ive said this a million times before that if anyone were at the game then all this would make sense more. Cole was ready to go and im sure he would've been happy to pitch in the 7th or whatever inning Hinch needed him to be. When Cole started jogging towards the bullpen the entire stadium rose to applaud him. This only shows how bad he wanted it and how disappointed he was for not winning.

Anyone who thinks there was some magical agreement between Cole and HInch after watching that video is a moron.

REEKO_HTOWN and BigShasta like this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Pass on Bumgarner.

I would rather have Keuchel back since he doesn't have a qualifying offer attached to him... and I don't really want Keuchel back either.