1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Pitchers are easily injured than other posi
    As a guest to throw out the first pitch in the World Series Game 7.

2. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Lol yeah. Maybe he can come back and win his first ring like Beltran.

3. right1

right1 Member

It's not like his Astros hat was too sweaty that he needed to switch it up. Kind of a weird move. How about just a UCLA hat or something. A Scott Boras hat? Jeez.

lw17 likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I actually interpreted his actions as that the team has probably already informed him that they won't be pursuing him in free agency once the season is over... and this is news he probably knew well before the final out yesterday.

Its not because they wouldn't want him... they just know he's earned the right to be the highest paid pitcher in baseball, and at this point in time with the Astros focused on contending for at least the next 3-5 years, they're not going to be able to optimize all aspects of the team with that level of a salary on board.

I actually felt they would do this with Verlander back in 2018, but they surprised me and offered him a large extension... but that's also because they knew he was more likely to accept a short-term deal as his elite years are coming to an end, while Cole's elite years are presumably just starting.

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

This is I can buy. All the nonsense about Cole being a puppet for Boras and treating his experience in Houston like a true mercenary, I don’t. He knows good and well that he wouldn’t be in a position to get the largest free agent contract for a starting pitcher in history without his time here.

BeBreezy and YOLO like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

In the end, he doesn't "owe" Houston anything other than gratitude towards the coaching staff that helped him further become the elite pitcher he always had the ability to be.

This will be his likely only big contract of his career. He's also well aware that he'll probably never have a season as dominant as the one he just had. While it sounds like a slam dunk that free agent elite pitchers automatically make a ton of money, we know that market forces collude together in recent years to stifle salaries... all it takes is for teams to say they don't want another David Price situation (with the Red Sox on the cusp of shedding salary now) and then Cole's market suddenly dwindles down to just a handful of teams.

dmoneybangbang and KePoW like this.
  7. AstrosRockets1818

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Damage control

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

"“I’m not an employee of the team,” Cole told an Astros spokesperson before continuing to reporters, “I guess as a representative of myself ...”"

Well, don't let the representative of yourself hit yourself in the back with the door on the way out, then, asshat (yes, a double entendre on the Boras hat. Why is their even a Boras hat?)

Boras is high on my list of people I'd shed no tears for if I heard they died suddenly. He epitomizes just about everything I think is wrong with sports currently.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bring back the slavery days AMIRITE? Good times at the sports plantation where people played because it was a kid's game!

Get a hold of yourself and stay out of people's pockets.

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No, you aren't. Not even close. But thanks for asking.

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

FWIW...if the athlete's want to do the same, all for it. Who's pockets does the money come from? The FANS. Yes, by all means indeed, stay out of our pockets. If you're going to get in our pockets, and yet wear a Borass hat to the press conference right after losing the WS, then yep, you're going to get fan criticism. Completely justified fan criticism. AMIRITE?!

Houstunna and right1 like this.
  13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Gerrit,

Thank you for two exciting years. Especially this year being so dominant. It was a pleasure to see you work and win for the Houston Astros.

BUT, just as you tossed that hat aside that represents the team that furthered your career and as a fan that paid X$ for tickets and $12 per crappy beer to fund that team that furthered your career so you could cash in I have one thing:

dtome.jpg

14. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

At least show some class Cole for walking out on the Astros. They re-vitalized your career and everything and you're going to get paid. At least thank the team, coach, front office, and such for getting to where you are now. I know he wasn't going to stay at all but at least don't be smug about it. That was tasteless what he did but whatever. We will find another pitcher to mold into another Cole.

Go Astros!

Houstunna and Jeremy Williams like this.
  15. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Feels like a farewell letter, but I hope he stays if he genuinely feels that great about the team and city. I’m not mad about his quote from last night. He was probably steaming mad/hurt after that gut wrenching loss. Heat of the moment kind of thing. I hope Crane can make it work financially and keep him. He is a special talent.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  16. AirPower

AirPower Member

That was my biggest issue.

Does he "owe" the team and the fans something? Yes he does... gratitude, respect, class.

Putting on that Boras hat IN the ballpark, IMMEDIATELY when the game concluded, right there in the house that helped him build this monster contract just seemed like someone that is a "me" guy.... no consideration towards how it looks to everyone that is watching.

Seriously, we are something like 20-30 minutes after a game 7 loss, at least act like you appreciate the Astros staff and players helping you get what might be the largest pitching contract in MLB history. Wear the damned team hat until you are off camera, or at least take that hat off.

"I'm not an employee of the team"..... there's just a better way to say that IF you HAVE to say it.

I just took him as a different person, the post game comes across to me like he's a "me" guy. Didn't seem like he cared all too much about the fans, the staff, the team, based on that post game interview.

A very disappointing interview after a very disappointing loss.

Edit: Just to be clear, the guy is an amazing pitcher, and I don't hold anything against him personally... he has to do what he has to do just like any of us would. It was just a "salt in the wound" moment for me.

#896 AirPower, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    H-Town Info likes this.
  17. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I would give him respect and best wishes if had just show some respect and class leaving the Astros. I have absolutely no problem going after the money. If it's there's for 7 years, 250 million...not going to kill him for leaving. But just after the game to say that garbage...turned me off big time.

Here, I'll take the higher road. Thanks Cole for two great seasons here of your pitching.

EDIT: Look at Keuchel and Morton. I know they won a WS for us but they didn't shame the team/organization on their way out.

#897 H-Town Info, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    HTown2017Champs likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

Hopefully that passive aggressive behavior was just frustration with how game 7 went.

Maybe Whitley will be our next elite, bushy haired, hurler.

19. AstrosRockets1818

Wow! Sorry if already posted but I just now saw the full part. Julia looks terrified.

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

This video provides great context. There is no question . Cole is furious he didn’t pitch. He knows this might have been his best and only shot at a ring because tomorrow is not guaranteed. I still understand Hinch strategy and my personal concern was that coles first inning is not clean a lot of the time. But I respect that he is pissed