1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were Les, after last season's debacle...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vlaurelio, Aug 11, 2016.

?

Would you? Please choose the first thing you'll do or at least the closest thing to it and explain

1. Sell the team

15.2%
  2. Replace Morey

8.3%
  3. Replace coaching staff

27.3%
  4. Upgrade roster (parts of it) around Harden

36.4%
  5. Demote Harden from being #1 and acquire new #1

1.5%
  6. Trade Harden (for who/what)

3.0%
  7. Change nothing and demand Harden to do a far better job

2.3%
  8. None of the above

6.1%
  1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Would you? Please choose the first thing you'll do or at least the closest thing to it and explain how

2. bmd

bmd Member

I wouldn't do anything. I would leave it up to the basketball people I hired to come up with a plan of action.

I would for sure want to replace the coaching staff, but I'd leave it up to the basketball people to figure out who they think is the best fit.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

- Keep counting the money
    - and then celebrating with Ted Brown while watching and laughing at fans waiting on line to buy the season tickets.

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if i was less i would sell the team after this offseason's debalcry

5. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I am confused:confused: Didn't he already fire the coaching staff and bring in a couple of overpaid "free" agents? I am going to go with he will fire the coaching staff for my answer. Let me know if I get it right:p

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would rebuild around Harden (not upgrade).

7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

[youtube]7R1vT87nrUQ[/youtube]

I would try to build on the team you have but, this is the way the world is in the movie... Im just saying .. Les and morey at it there.. lol

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's not what he will do / did do - it's what YOU would have done in his shoes, if I'm reading correctly.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

This.

That's why i think he should sell the team, but eh...

10. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Coaching staff is a given considering how poorly the JBB experiment went, but I'll go ahead and make that my answer anyways considering I wanted McHale out as well.

I wouldn't have picked the coach they did, I was definitely chomping at the bit for Frank Vogel, but certainly step 1 is getting a legitimate coach with a legitimate system in, and they did that.

It was also clear a player upgrade was necessary. I would have pushed Morey to pursue the shards of the team breaking up in Atlanta (which Morey basically did). Given that pretty much every team in the league had max cap space, it's a really tough time to be a team with a visible chemistry problem. When you can go anywhere, why roll the dice with a big chemistry question mark like the Rockets?

After missing on Horford/Bazemore/Millsap/Teague, I probably would have preferred to shut it down, suck for a year, and throw big money around in 2017 rather than committing long term money to two veterans from a perennial loser.

Bottom line is that the Dwight experiment failed so hard that there was no right move for Les to immediately get back to contention. Either you have to completely rebuild, find another big player of Howard's caliber, or settle for being high-scoring and likely making the playoffs, as we actually did.

If I sound mad about the actual path, I'm really not. I was aware of how tough getting a star would be coming in - our ticket was punched to unattractive-ville when the team started actively (if quietly) feuding with each other last year.

I wouldn't be too inclined to change management. Morey's track record of luring talent and winning trades is solid; his only serious offense was building around Dwight and James, which at the time I would have risked too.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I wouldn't have panicked and fired McHale then signed two above average guys to 4 year deals that kill flexibility for all 4 years. We're basically less than 1% to win the championship in the next 4 years.

I would have brought in JVG (if we're assuming McHale is fired, or if Morey wanted to fire him anyway) and not meddled with Morey plans. I'd let Morey sign super short deals if necessary to retain flexibility.

If the team again sucked this year with guys out of shape and not playing defense, I'd let him trade Harden just like he did Francis for TMac (hopefully for another star) and we'd start over.

Alas, we aren't starting over until these next 4 years of mediocrity are over.

12. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Kill Corey brewer

Commit suicide

1 person likes this.
  13. thething

thething Contributing Member

I think I'd be a great GM so I'd go all Jerry Jones and make decisions. I'd keep Morey to do the legwork and give me information but it would be me making the decision. And that would feel great.

Problem is, without being on the inside, we can only speculate about what options are actually available.

14. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

I would fire Daryl Morey...his system is not working

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is actually what happened.

16. StevieCrossover

Trade harden for lebron james

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I would fire the coaching staff, but let Morey and co. do their damn job and not influence who gets hired.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This so hard.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

no get new jersey's option? :cool:

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Gotten a brain transplant.