1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If things remain the same and averages hold up....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bongman, Aug 7, 2004.

1. bongman

bongman Member

I tried to picture our team if there were no trades made and based on pure numbers, we are not looking too bad. I know that the dynamic will change because in essense this is a new team. The 3 new additions will have to learn a new offensive and defensive scheme. But if we can play a similar type of defense as last year where we can hold oponents to an average of 85-90 pts/game, pure statistics say we will win a lot of games.

These are my prediction on how each individual player will average next season:

Yao, 19 - conservative estimate even though I feel that he will average more than that
    Tmac, 24 - needs to sacrifice personal stats for the good of the team
    Juwan, 12 - even though career average is 17, he will not get as many touches on this squad
    JJ, 10 - Yao and Tmac will have the ball most of time and most of his points are assists from either stars
    Lue, 10 - can retain last years average because he will get a lot of open looks.
    MoT, 11 - will have the same role as last year so I don't see his stats changing
    Boki, 4 - slight improvement from last year
    Pike, 5 - hoping to be his comeback year

That amounts to 95 pts/game. I feel that for the most part, this is very conservative and quite possible. Comments?

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if all of those guys played a full 82 games.

That said, I'd also be surprised if our roster looks like that at the start of the season.

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Overall, sounds about right. Some things will get a lot better: cleaner passing, lower TO and higher FG% (due to double-teams by Yao and Tmac). TMac's defense will also improve.

One part that we need very bad is better REBOUNDS from Howard. If he becomes a 12/10 guy, I'd love that!

#3 DavidS, Aug 7, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  4. New Jack

New Jack Member

Unless Taylor is used as Yao’s backup, I expect his point average to drop to about 8 a game.

Weatherspoon should also average a few points as well. Their paying him 6 mil a year, might as well play him.

And I hope that Boki’s scoring average is at least 6 points.

5. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Has to be some points from another PG, like Gaines I guess.

6. Phizz3l

Phizz3l Contributing Member

...Weak rebounding wont be a problem if we barely brick a shot, and reducing the opponents shot attempts..:D :rolleyes: