1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Little Buss has his way, its Adelman

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by leebigez, May 11, 2011.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This has been the rumblings since the lakers were eliminated. They are thinking about breaking from the status quo and getting a coach with a more uptempo brand of ball.

Conventional wisdom says Shaw is the successor to phil, but Lil Buss wants a faster pace. Instead of getting system players for the triangle, they have been very impressed by Adelman and his passing game and the tempo in which his teams play at. When you really get into it, the triangle and what rick runs are very,very similar anyway.

On a side note, I really would like to see adelman coach a team like the lakers. I think their core, aside from maybe artest kinda fits what he wants to do,plus he will have a stacked team for once. If they were smart, and they have been for awhile now, they will hire adelman. He's not perfect, but he will be a breathe of fresh air and the players will love to play for him.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I hope they choose a coach that dumps the triangle and changes things up. It would make Kobe uncomfortable and accelerate their decline. He's an old dog that doesn't want any new tricks.

I don't think Adelman would be a good fit for the Lakers, probably no better than Rudy T was. But it does seem to me Adelman has more left in the tank than Rudy did. If I were them, I'd hire Shaw or another ex-Laker that fits into their culture. They shouldn't make radical changes in style next season (in fact, maybe not until Kobe severely declines or retires). IMO, the logical thing they should do is probably hire Shaw, upgrade their PG position, dump Artest/Barnes/Blake if possible and refresh their bench. At least Shannon Brown brings athleticism, though I don't think much of him either.

The only way the roster should be "blown up" is if they can get Dwight Howard. I just hope they don't make another "Pau trade" that vaults them again instantly into championship contender status.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If I were them, I'd hire Adelman. It'd be nice to see NBA conspiracies work in Adelman's favor instead of against him.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Shaw would be a few steps back. The Ricker would be at least even, possibly better with the way the Lakers gave up.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

If I were them I would hire Adelman too - he's clearly the best coach available....BUT, there is some merit to considering the future of the franchise and if LA is basing that future on Andrew Bynum(Or Dwight Howard), then Adelman probably isn't your guy. I don't think either of those big guys as your cornerstone piece would be a good fit for Adelman's system (although Lamar and Pau would be perfect for it).

I think they should just hire Adelman, and assume that they aren't going to base the future of their offense around Dwight(long shot) or Bynum(injury history). Whatever happens with LA, they are going to need start looking for a wing creator anyway to take over for Kobe.

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Sometimes Kobe and/or Ron tend to be <i>ballstoppers</i>.

It will take quite a bit of effort to change them to an Adelman style offense.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If they do hire Adelman, I'd be torn. I hate that the Lakers can be good again. But I also want to see Adelman given a talented team without the refs working against him. That team will probably be the only hope for stopping Miami's superfriends. It just sucks that it's the Lakers.

8. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

they better find a way to rehaul their roster and get more athletic guys for adelman to be succesful.

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Rick Adelman would be a good fit for that team. I doubt he'd like Kobe Bryant going isolation 30% of the time he has the ball, though. Maybe Adelman would be able to get Kobe Bryant to play within his system.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

+1. people underrate how the triangle really is prolonging kobe's career. the year he didn't play in the triangle in 04-05, he had his worst shooting year. hes no longer good enough to go 1-on-1 and create for himself and others, which he doesn't have to do in the triangle offense.

however, i do think adelman would really benefit the lakers. pau gasol and bynum are both above average to pretty damn good passing big men and playing with adelman i think will elevate both of those guys' play. kobe will also benefit as adelman's offense encourages ball movement than isolation play; and that's what kobe needs at this stage of his career.

getting adelman still should not prevent them from refining that team. if anything, they really should tell dfish to retire and get another PG. no one is going to want artest really.

11. Asian Sensation

This post is spot on. Especially the bold part. No matter what the Lakers do unless they get a better starter than Fisher and a better backup than Blake they will go nowhere.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the Lakers but I think they'll go back to mediocrity. They're old, slow, unathletic, their big men are soft and Kobe was good enough to mask those things in the past but he's lost a step or two as well.

12. gah

gah Member

For Adelman's sake purely, I'd rather see him on the Heat because that's a team on the rise where he most likely would claim the success he deserves. Yes the Lakers are still title contenders but they're over the hill, and they still are scrappy seconds for whichever coach land's that job.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Kobe would buy-in once he starts getting more shots off less work and finds out he'll still get the iso players when it matters - all while having more energy in the tank. The problem is he might nix an Adelman hire on that thought process you mentioned.

14. Asian Sensation

This post is spot on. Especially the bold part. No matter what the Lakers do unless they get a better starter than Fisher and a better backup than Blake they will go nowhere.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the Lakers but I think they'll go back to mediocrity. They're old, slow, unathletic, their big men are soft and Kobe was good enough to mask those things in the past but he's lost a step or two as well.

15. Asian Sensation

Oops. Refresh button my bad.

16. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

At the end of the day, I think Kobe will have a big influence as to who he wants as a coach...

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If he doesn't like their new offense he'll just break off and do things on his own. Kobe controls the franchise, not the new coach.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He has had stacked teams most of his career and has no ring to show for it.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I understand that Adelman and the Lakers makes sense, but who knows if Adelman would really want to coach the Lakers.

The main reason Adelman wanted to stay with the Rockets is that he loved coaching that group of hard working, blue collar players who made coming to work a joy for him at his age. With everything I saw and heard from him, he enjoyed coaching the group of players he wanted to coach. Managing personalities was something he was not interested in.

To coach the Lakers is to basically manage personalities and put a major spotlight on yourself as the superstar coach. If it doesn't work, get ready for some major criticism.

Phil Jackson fit the mold because he was never really considered a great coach as far as X's and O's are concerned. His strength was managing superstar personalities and getting them to work together to benefit the team. Only until this season did Phil finally give up on managing those personalities and obviously the strife in the lockeroom and the constant drama was too much even for him.

As much as Rick deserves a title, Im not sure this is the right fit for him at this point in his life. Is it worth the headaches and the spike in blood pressure that surely will come with the job???...

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

At least that would finally get Fisher outta the league.