1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Les Alexander and Mark Cuban switched teams, would the Rockets be better?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 18, 2015.

?

Who would be a better owner for the Rockets?

1. Les Alexander

267 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Mark Cuban

209 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Equal

31 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They got rondo. He was high on our list

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If indeed Les is responsible for the second one, then build him a statue and move on.

He was clearly younger back then and not as profit driven.

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Stop wrapping yourself up in Olajuwon's jersey and have this debate honorably. Hakeem Olajuwon is Houston's Babe Ruth (maybe Babe Ruth is New York's Olajuwon). He led the University of Houston to three Final Four appearances and then led this city to its only major pro sports titles. There is nothing to argue about there.

Would other teams' fans want Les? Yeah, winning titles and acquiring top stars in pursuit of titles probably sounds great to a number of cities.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Les hired the best GM in the league.

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol at people thinking an owner is great just because he pays the tax, it is quite funny really

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Do the spurs or lakers want les?
    When rudy t went to the lakers the first thing he said was how was so happy to work jerry buss.

Why is Barkley saying we owe him money? What about philly or phoenix?

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, but it was also concern on his back issues, unfortunately Cuban rushed in on that decision by about ~5 years (give or take some). Unfortunately Les will do the same **** too, obviously he didn't let an MVP go (other than hakeem) but some of the players the Rockets have let go have been stupid, Cuban does it and still gets out of the first round, and oh yeah wins a championship... I think the Mavs have made the playoffs every full year Cuban has owned them except in 2013... That's a pretty good record.

I don't like Cuban, but definitely wouldn't mind an owner like that, hell any owner willing to call the NBA on their bull**** is a good one. Unfortunately for the Rockets only JVG was willing to do it in 05 (and not the owner of the team, he probably was making wine or birdwatching, haha).

Another point is that Les extended McHale before we even see if he can get out of the first round... Uh??? I don't think Cuban did something that stupid, of course the reason was to provide stability to the team because everyone is an asset unless your last name has an H... Then Les makes a comment like "we only let players leave that we want to", what about coaches?? Les has never fired a ****ing coach, instead he let's them run their contract out and not renew them, wow that's great!!! So basically if McHale doesn't do **** he's still getting paid and will be here because our frugal owner doesn't want to pay twice... Note I'm not a McHale hater, but so far he's a great regular season coach that hasn't done anything in the playoffs to warrant an extension.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Les is a talker. Never liked him.

He has been singing the same old song every year for over a decade about how the Rocket teams are going to be great and are going to make noise.

Go ahead and look at the Rockets playoff record for the last 15 years or so and laugh away.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We weren't interested, we drove up the price.

He's not really a star, may have been at one point.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

To add above... ^An extension for a coach during the regular season!!! It's not like McHale was a big FA and going to leave for a new team, ROFL. Hopefully we can lock up Dorsey too...

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Arguing against a mental patient is going full r****d. Never go full r****d!! OP never learned that lesson.

1 person likes this.
  12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

You went from asking if any fans, in general, want Les as an owner to asking if two of the most successful franchises in NBA history want him... The question concerning the Spurs is obvious. I'm sure they're happy with their current situation. Considering the Lakers' current front office dysfunction, however, maybe they would find Leslie's stability appealing.

I am not at all concerned with Barkley's most recent streak of petulance. At his best, he's an entertaining clown. At his worst, he's a boar that spits on children, throws men through windows, and drives drunk. I consider the acquisition of Barkley one of Leslie's mistakes, but I have the benefit of hindsight on that.

#112 dc rock, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Le$ inherited a championship team that was built under the previous regime. His tenure as owner of the Rockets has been a failure in terms of winning for almost the past 20 years. Now combine Le$s with Maury and McFail and you can see why the Rockets have continued their mediocrity for about a decade now. There's no question Cuban is a better owner.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He's good but how in the world do you could come to that conclusion? James Harden trade? One trade doesn't define a GM, success does...which he severely lacks. I really like Morey as a person but people need to stop with this nonsense.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Barkley was a great Rocket, he was nice to fans and said great things about the city of Houston . He got us past Seattle, which was the reason why we got him. Plus he brought us publicity.

Don't forget he also signed for the minimum so we can sign a Max Free Agent (Pippen).

So let's just say, Barkley might be lying that the Rockets owe him $3 million. Why would he mention it all the time then?
    why did a former player have so much personal grudge that it would spill into his professional life as a commentator?

I understand why you are defensive of Les. Cause you don't like Cuban on a personal level.

But if you even remember the laughing stock that was the mavericks, then you know he did a miracle turn around.

Apparently the players were eating hot dogs before Cuban came in, now they have personal chefs.

People who are happy at work tend to be better at their job and also STAY.

Why did Rick Adelman , JVG, and Rudy T, all fantastic coaches leave on a sour note?

Did les say he didn't care if the Rockets didn't get pass the first round recently?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

And about 50% on this board feel like you do.

Hakeem and Rudy T didn't end their careers as Rockets, that's a shame.

I respect Jerry Bus for signing Kobe, even though it has screwed their team in the short run.

Hakeem only played 1 season , Les could have paid him for that season as a big thank you. It's not like we were contenders at that point.

The Last time were contenders was with Barkley, we were literally 2 games from the finals.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Les chose a terrible plan for a stadiium. The seating options at American Airlines are much better.

I'll never forgive Les for his stupid two levels of luxury boxes pushing all of the upper deck to the rafters like the Forum. He also had the opportunity to eliminate unlimited purchasing of adjacent seats in the lower bowl like the Texans did, to stop corporate hogging of the best seats in the house. And why the hell did he choose to support Hockey dimensions when Houston still has no NHL team. We could have a very tight bowl like Utah, SAC, Indiana, etc, in true basketball dimensions. But no, we need to spread everything out to support a stupid hockey rink.

it is imo, the worst choice of stadium plan I could have imagined.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Maybe he meant best "regular season" GM. ;)

19. tinman

Supporting Member

heypartner,

when I was in denver, I saw a nuggets game and the fans were more involved in the game. you had much better access as a regular fan. It felt like the Summit.

when I was in Houston, I luckily got the Tundra suite and it was great, but I felt if I got a regular seat it wouldn't be as good.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does not matter. Sports is success orientated. So many years just one second round showing is just poor.

Reflects on team, FO, GM, owner, Coaching staff, everyone is involved.

Cannot single out one guy