1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Bolton testimony is blocked, our democracy has ended.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Jayzers_100, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

https://www.heritage.org/constitution/articles/1/essays/17/trial-of-impeachment

B@ffled likes this.
  2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I'm one of the 75%. It may not sound like it but I really wanted to hear it all. I think there's way more to the story than the call for investigations or a quid pro quo. But I also think the House managers screwed up by insulting the Senators. One thing I learned is that an impeachment trial is certainly a biased, political process and is a waste of time unless you've got a smoking gun. And Nancy knew what the outcome would be. But she did it anyway to score points in the 2020 election AND to gain ground in the senate.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

4. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

The Senate should be above the fray though. While “insults” to senators may not have been wise, I still expect their better judgment to prevail. The only solution is to vote them out in subsequent elections. I’m glad you wanted more evidence though; if nothing else the American people deserve it. I never expected a conviction

5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

The senate has the sole power of trying impeachment. They did not conduct a trial in the senate. A trial without evidence is not a trial. There’s nothing vague about that lol. Admittedly there was a flaw in the Framers’ text to even allow the senate to vote on all the rules on the fly. We really need a more extensive guideline for this type of thing. A jury voting on evidence is pretty bizarre

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

There was talk of McConnell wanting to wrap it up because of logistical issues of security with the State of the Union address coming up. McConnell certainly strong armed the Republicans to fall into party line.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Every other court in the United States allows the presiding judge to make evidentiary decisions. Roberts making these calls should have been an agreeable compromise

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. tallanvor

yes they did. they vote Wednesday. They heard from 17 witnesses. They got to hear from almost nobody Trump wanted to call. What do you think has been going on for the past month?

Even if part of the Constitution had been 'violated' (it wasn't) that still wouldn't be the 'end of our democracy'. Hell the 10th amendment has been violated by every administration and nobody cares.

#168 tallanvor, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    cml750 likes this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL...whatever helps you sleep at night. They didn't hear from the key witness who heard the call.

Republicans are ****ing joke.

10. tallanvor

The house should of subpoenaed them as is their job.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....Trump wouldn't have allowed him testify. Actually, Bolton was subpoenaed...and he didn't decide to cooperate til after the hearing were completed. They ignored every house subpoena. It would have been different in the Senate. They couldn't have stopped him.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I'm glad you are ok with Trump using your money to enrich himself and using tax payer money to leverage another country to get dirt to help his re-election.

You are as much of a b**** as the Republicans in Congress. I hope you like being on your knees for Donald J. Trump. You get stains on your dress?

13. tallanvor

Yea , so when two parties disagree the courts decide. That's how it works with every trial. The dems didn't want to go to court so they dropped the subpoena.

GO be mad at your Dmes in the House for not subpoenaing people they later claimed they needed.

I think Biden is dirty as hell (so do Dems) and should be investigated. I'm cool with it, even if Trump withheld Ukraine support to get the investigation.

The Obama admin illegally wiretapped Trumps campaign and an innocent man and this is the **** you care about?

cml750 and B@ffled like this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Na.....you enabled a CRIMINAL to do more illegal ****.....because b****ES like you are like to suck his ****.

15. tallanvor

The House didn't claim Trump committed a crime so I am not sure how he's a criminal. Is he a criminal cause you wrote it in caps?

Also, gay slurs. nice touch. always compelling.

cml750 likes this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are not a man. You are woman.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ridiculous. Those two retrumplicans were offended, so they let a guy they otherwise would have prosecuted off. You really want to go with that story?

18. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

What? You can't face reality? What crime was he being prosecuted for? Pull your foot out of your mouth keep the retweets coming. And move on, man.

cml750 and Silent_Bob like this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Get back to me when you get a serious opinion.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Chill, your bobby side is starting to show more. I was trying to generalize this in a broader court trial setting. You prefer "being tried for"? Doesn't change the ridiculousness of the "Democrats were mean to republicans, so we will let the corrupt guy off with being corrupt." Again, you want that to be the story republican senators go with?

And sorry, the fact that we have a corrupt president, who even his defenders admit he is corrupt, well, hard to move past that. I know trump supporters like you are happy, but trust me, in the future when people are looking back and wondering how anyone ever voted for him in the first place, you and most everyone else will be returning to the "gee, I didn't vote for him/support him, but..."