1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Will ............

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, May 31, 2000.

Tags:
  1. popeye

popeye Member

For the record:

I am a die-hard and unabashedly biased fan of the Houston Rockets. I AM NOT a member of the Rockets Organization, nor am I associated with them in any way. But they are my family.

However, it appears I may have harmed them recently in my exuberance and haste. That was neither my focus nor my intention.

I will do this:

1. I categorically withdraw my claims of knowledge that any communication or contact took place between any player and the Houston Rockets that would violate the terms of any agreement that exists between a franchise team and the NBA League.

2. I will not post on this BBS again.

popeye

------------------
    Thank you to all my brothers and sisters, who helped me make a bad day good and a good day better. In Rockets We Trust!

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited May 31, 2000).]

2. davo

davo Contributing Member

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Popeye-
    We need your insights on this board, even if you can't give us an privy information again. It is great to hear an "insider" let us know at least what the team is thinking about even if you can't give us any details.

Any way you could reconsider about not posting again? If not we will all miss you, but I hope you reconsider and find a way to give us some insights.

------------------

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

NO NO No Spinach Man!

Please don't go away!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

C'mon, popeye! Is that really necessary? I think you know as well as everyone here with any sense that making remarks that could potentially be considered tampering puts the site and the Rockets in an awkward position. You are obviously a very intellegent guy who knows his stuff. This should come as no surprise.

Just because the site protects itself on this doesn't mean that you are not welcome or that you should leave in a huff. What would you do if you were Clutch?

Do what you must, but don't you think you are being a tad melodramatic!? Everyone here looks forward to your posts and respects your opinion. The only thing that hampers your credibility is your inability to handle some criticism.

I'm sure this too shall pass.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Popeye, the proper way to pull a Jenna is to take a vote first. You didn't give us our say in the matter.

------------------
    "Yes, I came from the 80s...but I didn't kill anybody. Give me a break."

-Mike Tramp, former lead singer of White Lion

7. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Oh great...

Though at times I don't agree with some of his points, I've always enjoy reading Popeye's posts (not just the ones where he has speculation of trades.)

He is one of the few posters here that have both QUANTITY as well as QUALITY posts.

Jeff, I don't think Popeye is pulling a "Jenna" (though I've enjoyed her posts too). I truely think Popeye was sorry for the events that had occured.

Maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes people show remorse simply by walking away. I think Popeye just wanted to say goodbye before he leaves.

I don't know what was exchanged between Clutch/Rockets/NBA/Popeye, so I may be wrong here. Just my 2 cents.

8. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Popeye:

Please reconsider your decision regarding posting on this BBS. I have a huge respect for your posts, and don't want them to stop. I have a similar respect for Clutch's posts. He called the Rockets and was told what he was told, and after all the mess he already had with the NBA and the respect he's gained with the Rockets head office, he had to strongly state a legal position on this matter. Surely you, of all people, can understand that.

This was bound to happen sometime with the "insider" posts of yours, DocRocket's, and others. I don't beleive what you had to say wasn't true, but I do believe that you weren't aware of the position you were putting the Rockets in by reporting it the way you did. You had to get your hand slapped. But this site has almost become family. It's like your brother getting disciplined. We all grit our teeth with a little embarrassment, and look to our own selves a little, but we'd never want the brother to quit the family. Try to respond in a way that get's the Rockets out of trouble, rather than quit posting. There's got to be a better way to resolve this.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

I missed it. What happened?

------------------
    Stay Cool...

10. rblh

rblh Contributing Member

It is a sad day when one of clutchcity's most famous and respected poster decided to quit. I have always enjoy Popeye's articulate comments and insider info. Popeye, you will be sorely missed!

11. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

------------------
    Check out the new and improved
    Draftsource.net

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Popeye-
    Perhaps you could continue posting but just not dish out any more speculation, rumors or the sort, ala heypartner. That way your valued opinion on many issues can still be heard.

------------------
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

13. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

Now this just SUCKS...

[​IMG]

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

14. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Aww... come on Freak!
    I know you are cynical, but Popeye don't deserve that???!!! As I stated before, I don't think that was Popeye's intention. I think (and I hope) he is above that.

What Popeye did was wrong (at the time I didn't think about it either). I think Popeye was just trying to spread what he thought MAYBE good news for us Rocket fans. Yes, he may also wanted to be the FIRST one to pass on the POTENTIAL good news, but that is not wrong. Everyone of us has a little bit of wanting to be the first one to do "something".

I don't fault Clutch for doing what he did and saying what he said. I would of done the same if I was in his shoe. On the other hand I don't fault Popeye reacting the way he did either. Maybe he should have taken the slap on the hand and just go on posting like Jeff had suggested, but not everyone can react to a given situation the same way.

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I think you're overreacting.

I also think this subject needs to disappear completely off the BBS--starting with Clutch's "The Rocket's cannot sign Cuttino until August 1st" thread closely followed by Popeye's "Number nine" and "I will..." threads.

If this is bothering the brass--which it certainly could--make it go away. Don't start new threads that point to the original offense--even if the offense is only a perceived one.

Popeye has come to us with great information before, and IT'S ALL VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. For those of you who haven't heard him before, his information comes to him though a somewhat convoluted trail. Stories can get mixed up. Things can get exaggerated. And because some of his stories have come true, we tend to take his word as gospel.

Popeye was trying to do the right thing and share a tidbit that he heard without fully realizing that the rumor could be somewhat incriminating. Clutch was trying to do the right thing by covering his and the bbs’ collective ass, so that we can all have this great site to come to tomorrow. Now the subject has gotten out of hand, so make it go away.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

16. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

You have been a great poster and your comments will be truely missed. But if that is your final decision.....

Its been real man,
    Peace

--Rocketman

------------------

17. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Hey Popeye, I don't care about you being able to or not being able to post trade scoops and all that other stuff; what I do care about is you still posting your opinions about the common occurences involving the Rockets games, life, ect... Your intelligent and fluid communicating style will sorely be missed; and I for one could care less about inside scoops, but don't desert posting your individually unique insight toward the Rockets and....life.

------------------

18. PhiSlammaJamma

This is the "Real World", Clutch City, a cast of several thousand members who share a BBS together.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Popeye-
    You're possibly the best poster on this whole BBS. You've helped make this BBS what it is, and all of us greatly respect and admire you. You made one mistake. One. Don't give this up because of one mistake. Even if it means you can never give any inside information again, that doesn't mean you have to leave for good. We love to hear your thoughts and opinions on Rocket games, trades, etc. I know this may be a big deal, but it was just ONE mistake. You've done so may positives here- don't outweigh them with one bad thing. Even if you can't give any inside information, please come back.

------------------

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Moonbus -- I was actually more poking fun at Jenna than Popeye. Like Pole said, too big a deal is being made of this. Nobody wants Popeye to stop posting, he should know that.

------------------
    "Yes, I came from the 80s...but I didn't kill anybody. Give me a break."

-Mike Tramp, former lead singer of White Lion