1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I will shut down the government. I will take that mantle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 11, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

... and believe it or not, coyotes."

[​IMG]

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump: I will say and do a bunch of stupid things, I will take that mantle.

3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

lol

...I don't think anybody could take that mantle out of the Donald's cold, dead hands...

4. biff17

biff17 Member

He has already had several read my lips moments.

To busy to golf.
    Fixing Obama care
    Mexico paying for the wall
    North Korea stopping there nuclear program
    Not having anything to do with Russia.

I could go on.

5. NewRoxFan

6. NewRoxFan

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would disagree that any of those are true "read my lips" moments, but going back on not keeping the government shut down until he gets the funding for the wall would absolutely be a true "read my lips" moment that would turn his base against him.

8. NewRoxFan

Senate GOP stiffs Trump on filibuster border wall demands
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/21/senate-trump-wall-1072331

R0ckets03 likes this.
  9. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

It's on POTUS. #Boss

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

In the week since I posted this the brilliant maneuver/negotiating tactic has gone from:

Trump: I own the shutdown
    Trump: Never mind the shutdown, let's deal with it later
    Trump: I'm going to shutdown forever
    Trump: Democrats own the shutdown

There is no strategy. There is no ploy. There is no plan. There is no there there. It's all stupid random emoting, not designed for anything at all.

We functionally do not have a President. This has been obvious for some time.

#130 SamFisher, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We must appease the crazy man or he will just get crazier. That's Trump's plan.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What is comes down to is the question of if it is worth it to permanently shut down the government just to prevent Trump from getting a small victory. To many Democrats, that answer is probably "yes", so when they cause the government to shut down, i don't want to hear anything about it. The ONLY reason they are causing the government to shut down is because they don't want to give Trump a victory, it's 100% political, so they'll have to own that.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Eric Riley likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Trump sticks to his guns, and the Democrats refuse to allow him a small victory, then it would be a permanent shut down until that changes. Perhaps the better word to use would be "indefinite", but that's nothing more than a semantic argument so that you can ignore the substance of the post which you can't argue.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Trump's shutdown. If it's such a small thing then maybe he should let the adults in Congress/Senate prevent the shutdown and forget about his useless wall that will cost the US billions...not Mexico...who was supposed to pay for the wall.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, it's a campaign promise he intends to keep. He further promised to do this after he signed the last CR that didn't include it. We've all known this was coming for months now if the congress decided to be childish just to prevent Trump from getting a win. The house passed it, but the Senate will likely choose to be childish, so shut it down till they change their minds. IMO it's better to have the government shut down for the next 2 years than to cave on this issue. If congress can't figure out a way to make this happen, then they can't govern and don't deserve to. There won't be any real pain from a government shutdown for at least a year because nearly all of the important stuff is already funded.

The way the system is set up, it is supposed to completely lock up and do nothing in situations like this. It's time to force the left and right back towards the middle and if they refuse to get along, lock everything up and prevent them from doing anything.

17. havoc1

havoc1 Member

So it’s the Senate’s job to make sure that Trump can keep a campaign promise? And why is Mexico paying for the wall suddenly no longer apart of the promise?

And maybe they aren’t trying to prevent him from getting a win. Maybe they just don’t think it is a good idea.

I agree that it would be nice if both sides came back to the middle, but it is not incumbent upon the Senate to accomplish this by giving money for a wall that they think is unnecessary.

joshuaao and JayGoogle like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, I disagree. I think the people that will work without pay will be majorly affected, that includes people that work for Homeland Security and other Law Enforcement agents.

It'll be sad but it'll be Trump's shutdown. It's not on Democrats or anyone in the Senate or Congress to buckle to the president's demands...that's exactly part of the reason of why they are there, to check the president...not give him/her whatever they ask for.

If they think it's a bad idea that will hurt the country then it's their duty to prevent it.

joshuaao, seemoreroyals and mdrowe00 like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's their job to keep the government running and to work with the other branches of government. If they are unwilling to do so then the government SHOULD shut down.

When it comes to this expense, we're not talking about some kind of albatross, it's relatively inexpensive compared to the other stuff that gets pushed through so the ONLY valid reason to not just do it is that you want to prevent Trump from getting a win. This isn't some kind of Obamacare or single payer situation that would cost trillions, this is a first payment of 5 billion dollars, pennies by comparison.

If the congress can't find a way to work that in, the right thing to do is to keep the government shut down until they are forced back to the middle and legitimately compromise, either by overcoming the veto, or by making the small concession that allows the president to sign the bill.

20. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...and wasn't this the thinking when House and Senate Republicans did this to the Kenyan usurper in order to keep his closeted Musliminess from running the U.S. of A. into the gutter like Chicago...?

JayGoogle likes this.