1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"I Just Want to Be Friends" - I Have too Many Friends Already!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Don't you hate this line?

Interesting story that happened to me: last year around this time, I made a big mistake. I had met this girl and I could tell that she was interested in me. As luck would have it, we worked pretty close to each other (she was practically down the street in another building). I was able to get her to go to lunch with me, and thus began a "series" of dates. I felt a physical attraction to her right away, and I felt a comfort zone around her, as well. I started out saying all the right things, but I was curious of course, and I wondered if things would ever go past a friendship.

So, a little after a month of going out, I wondered if there was a chance of our relationship going to that next level. I kept thinking that if I just was a little more patient, I would definitely get an answer; however, I wasn't patient. I got some bad advice from a guy, and I went ahead and asked her, straight up, if there was any hope of our relationship going to that next level, i.e. becoming more than a "casual" dating thing. I figured she said that she needed more time, but it could happen. Well, she told me that it would never happen! Needless to say, I was pretty deflated the rest of the conversation.

I will level with people here. Believe it or not, I'm nothing like "Manny Ramirez" in real life (well at least not around women that I'm attracted to). One woman that I recently dated that knew me from work said that I acted completely different when I was with just her compared to being around other people. I have always been a shy person, and one way to compensate for that is to try to act silly or "show off" my knowledge (something that I was bad about it when I first started here). So, it is hard for anyone, no matter how old, to call up a woman/girl that you are interested in and have her tell you that there's pretty much no chance in having anything with her other than a friendship.

Believe it or not, we still went out 1 or 2 more times after that phonecall, but it wasn't the same and I think she felt bad about it. Fast forward to this year: I had called her a couple of times (maybe twice) just to keep in touch, and we are both doing this concert again this year (that's how we met last year). We had made plans to see a movie (as friends - I had just ended a relationship and I didn't want a new one at that point) and continue to talk a little bit. Well, last week I wasn't able to come to practice, and I hadn't really seen her the week before that. But last night?? I saw her and it was like WOW!! This chick had lost about 20 pounds, it seems, since I last saw her. Don't get me wrong...she wasn't fat or overweight, but she wasn't skin and bones either. Now, she just looks awesome (at least to me). I said hi to her as I was leaving and then became a deer in headlights after that. However, I did call her on the phone and complemented her on her appearance (she appreciated that). We are still going to go back out...but I had already told her that I wasn't expecting anything other than a friendship.:( Of course that was before I saw her last night!:p

So, to make a long story short: how many people here have had that excuse given to them. Has anyone ever dated someone as a "friend" and was able to eventually get them to look at the relationship as more than friends? How do you overcome this dreaded excuse?

Sorry for the long post.

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Not much to say about this one. I feel for you, man. One word of advice: never do anything over the phone. Go eye to eye. It sucks and it's painful and you'll die a little bit, but that is the only way to do things.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I once got rejected by a cute girl in a bathroom at a party. She actually was taking a piss and rejecting me at the same time :rolleyes: . We were just friends before that and did some stuff together as well. Then, trying to take it to the next level, she rejected me. She went to the bathroom in my presence and then sat there on the toilet while rejecting me. Basically, I wasn't crazy or wild enough for her tastes was the gist...i.e. she wanted a biker with tatoos and a criminal record.

Looking back...it's kind of funny now. I hear she died in a wicked motorcycle accident......just kidding.

"I feel your pain!"

Surf

4. The Voice of Reason

Oh yeah,

been there done that wrote the book, filmed the movie, sold the tickets.

It always sucks, but i guess i almost always atain signifigant intimace. its funny. i say gee, i like you. she says i like you too, but as a friend. a week later we are nekid together, and after that the friendship is well more fun, but awkward. and in a matter of a few weeks. we are just casual aquaintenances. and im on to the next friend. im made of teflon. They al;ways call, but it eventually becomes a pain in my ass, and i stop returning them after a year or so.

one friend however has been gorgeous, flirtations, and well involved with ass hole after ass hole for years. and she wont let me rescue her from them. oh and of cource the guys are all jealous of me, and she can only really feel comfortable with me, and even sleep over, but it hasnt helped me get past that friendship.

and weve danced together like you wouldnt belive. and all she does is drive me nutz. i sincerly belive that she needs me to make a move (my normal style is very forward) but that damn respect and friendship thing. Who ever thought kissing a girl would be so hard??

and to top it all off she knows a great deal of my sexual history now. did you know it is impossible to charm a woman who knows how you operate? who has picked out girls for me. man she's evil.

feeling the pain

PEACE

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Brian: I hear what you are saying, but I think it would crush and devastate me more to have that done in person than on the phone. However, the last relationship that I was in, I WAS the one who ended it and I ended it in person becauese I thought it was the right thing to do. Of course, that didn't make it any easier.

Surf and VOR: thanks for feeling my pain. It always sucks to hear some woman or girl that you have the hots for to look at you like a "brother". :rolleyes:

What Surf talked about being a nice guy makes me ask why do girls like to be treated like ****? Why is it that the assholes have all the good looking ones? I have had people try to explain it to me, but it still baffles me that a "nice guy" can't get a break with a hot girl (most of the time).

I could try to change my personality, but then I wouldn't be myself if I started acting like a jerk around women.

6. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

The fear is always worse than the failure.

You'll have ten times more success face to face. Everyone gets turned down at one point or another, so take the plunge and don't dwell on 'being crushed.' When i first started traveling I used to think "man, the women in NYC are so hot" "man, the women at LA as so hot" "man, the women in Paris are so hot" and as the list got longer and longer I realized there are gorgeous women EVERYWHERE. If you don't hit it with one it is OK, they are EVERYWHERE. Strive for success and accept there will be failure.

7. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

The woman I'm dating right now was first "just a friend". I wish I could give you some more advice but there really wasn't any technique though. We were both getting over a great deal of realtionship unpleasantness and just took a chance at it. Of course, there was a emotional connection the first day we met.

If there is anything I can leave you with it would be to go with what would make you happy. A friendship isn't always detrimental and through time things can blossom, so I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Although, if you honestly think this isn't what you want, then looking elsewhere might be your best action. Either way, good luck and I'm always here for whatever insignificant counseling I can provide.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I remember when I was dating my wife during college, and I had a part-time job at the mall,... that is when I met the very sexy Vickie S., she had gone to a different college (UofH), but we struck up shared interests and conversations...She had a body and beauty that would turn heads and recently available,...I guess we had "friendly" signals since we had went to lunch (with a group) together, held hands (in a playful way), and flirted a bit, like her telling me that when she quits, she hopes no one takes her place...
    I don't know if she intentionally did this to test me or whatever.. (she knew I had a serious girlfriend), but I have to admit I started getting confused...she had said she was "available", yet I see her with two different guys at times that she claims is just friends...Then she asks me to go to a dance club together as "friends"...It is then that I realize I need to take control...As attractive as she is (with the best backside you ever saw...;) ) I had commited to my "less exciting" now wife, but a person not only attractive to me, but seemed to match everything I needed in a relationship (as a then girlfriend)...As much as I hated it, I had to stop the "friend" relationship that could have destroyed the relationship I had for 3 years to that date...To my relief she quit, but gave me her number to stay in touch...I never called and was glad because I was definitely tempted.

Manny, this might not relate so much with your plight, but just beware the "friends" of opposite sex...It can often lead you to being confused about their intentions and about your needs and wants...

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

All I have to say is (and I know you don't wanna here this cause I never did) that it will work out.

I was devastated when my last girlfriend and I broke up, I even posted about it a few times on this board. I thought I'd never find love again, then come to find out, I didn't even love her. I thought I did, it felt like it, but what I have now doesn't even compare to any emotional feelings I've ever had.

You'll find it soon.

10. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I wish I had something profound to add here. I don't.

girls are the enemy. they're all sisters.

okay, not really. my intent is not to wax misogynistic.

the simple truth is that you never control what a girl is going to do, say, choose, etc. and usually, if you're like me, you really can't control how you're going to feel about something.

I think the best you can hope to do is to control what you DO. I agree with Kagy: eye to eye is best. I agree with HayesStreet: the fear is worse than the failure. I've been subjected to ample amounts of both, and the failure is just not as bad as the fear.

say what you mean to say. ask for what you mean to ask for. call when you mean to call.

don't try to plan your words and your actions around what you think she wants you to do or say or what you think will get you what you want.

in my experience, that just doesn't work.

and when all that fails, write a song about it.

11. University Blue

Life imitates art and this point in your life reads like a scene from the script of "Ally McBeal." John Cage, "the Biscuit," is a funny little man/lawyer who wanted a more intimate relationship with the title character. She didn't find him physically attractive. What did he do? Run away.

[For fans of "Ally McBeal"]:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Only to return later.

It might sound immature, but it will surely make you feel better: find a hot date and introduce her to your "friend." Most people want what they can (no longer) have.

University (Turning the Corner) Blue

12. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Manny, Manny, My Poor Manny...

Don't ever get stuck in the dreaded FZ.

The FRIEND ZONE

If you like a girl you just have to go after her from day one.
    Forget lunch...say we're going to dinner. Evening has an
    affect on girls.

13. Ninja Sauce X

Ninja Sauce X Member

My girlfriend broke up with me cos she's Muslim and im Buddhist. The worst part is we still care for each other a lot, but she said dating somebody of a different race and religion would cause too many problems within her family. Ain't that the stupidest sh?t ever. Look at all the problems in the world caused by religion, its very depressing.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"Just want to be friends" sucks :D .

But sometimes it also happens the other way around - I am just trying to say the same thing to a girl and she is not really buying it either...it gets more difficult to go back there once you have gone further... ;)

---------------

Another question about something that happened to a hypothetical person (let's call him...GermanRocket or something :D)...what if you had a serious relationship with a girl (btw, Spanish, Penelope Cruz look-a-like (REALLY similar)), let's say for a year, and then it ended (by more or less mutual agreement, but in reality you still want her...) and she very quickly started a relationship with a new guy (you suspect that perhaps it started even before it "officially" ended with you...). Then she wants to be friends and tries to be nice, but you still want more...what do you do... I think it's kind of difficult because you would always be frustrated being around her (if you feel that you might still be in love with her...) and mad because she started a relationship with another guy when yours had not even really ended...

What is better? a) Showing her you are angry (that she kind of lied to you about her new guy) and insulting her and pissing her off completely so that you will not have to do that "friend" thing which will only drive you crazy or b) really trying to be a "friend" although that is not what you really want??

GR chose option a) because he WAS angry and still jealous and didn't want to pretend that he was mature and could handle things like a grown-up :p. It made him feel better to tell her how he really felt and I think it saved him from suffering by having to be a "friend".... Was it bad or mean of him to do that??

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Really kind and encouraging words. I think that in that moment when one breaks up, one is so down that one cannot even imagine being happy again... but I believe you are right, one should not lose the belief in love because of a failed relationship. Sometimes things are just not meant to be...

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Don't let the moniker fool you....women confuse the hell out of me. For instance, a few weeks ago I met the hottest girl where I work. She was 26 had long blonde hair, blue eyes, a body of a goddess and was wearing a plaid skirt and stockings like a school girl. We were both giving each other the eye when I decided to go over and talk to her because her friend told one of my coworkers that she was interested in me. When she was leaving, she stopped and gave me her number even though I never asked for it. So I waited a couple days and gave her a call. We talked for a short time, but she was at work and was preparing to go out of town for a few days, so she said she'd give me a call when she got back. I waited a couple days after she was supposed to get back....no call. I decided to give her a call, we spoke for a little while and at the end of the conversation she said she'd call me later. About 5 days passes, still nothing. Thanksgiving is approaching and I knew I'd be busy and figured she would too, so I give her another call. After another 15-20 minute chat about everything from her kids to the upcoming holiday, she again says she'll give me a call after the holidays. That was last Wednesday and still no call. I don't get it at all. I understand she works and has two kids that occupy alot of her time, but why can't she take 2 seconds to call and say whats up if she is so interested that she gives me her number and wants me to call even though I never brought up the subject???

:confused:

17. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

:D YESSS!!!!

Exactly, not like you gotta get into her panties the first night (although thats nearly another thread!) but geez, be flirtatious as hell if you really like a girl. Be a fool even! Shiiieeet, I'd at least try and give a sweet kiss after too long. I've let it go too long when I was younger and its just frustrating! I know better now!;) Keep at her if you really like her that much but not for too long and don't compromise who or what or where you are.:)

BTW:ROXRAN(with the best backside you ever saw...;))

Congrats on the marriage mate!!:D

18. ROXRAN

mr_oily, I didn't pick the one with the biggest butt, but I did marry the one I knew would be true to me and love me....as gorgeous as that Vickie girl was, (believe me she's a knock-out. she had the backside I was referring to...) I certainly was tempted, but I already had true love...and for all I knew that girl just may have wanted me for her collection, then dropped me like garbage after she was done...I kinda got signals she was like that...besides, my hunny held her own and homey/noble ROXRAN wasn't gonna throw it away...

19. ROXRAN

I appreciate the congrats, though mr_oily :)

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Guess who decided to call almost exactly an hour after my post??

Yep.

:D

The Pimp lives!!

Ok, just kidding with that comment, but really, should I call her back tonight or play the stupid game and wait a few days?