1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I just wanna say...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I checked out on this franchise. The owner, the GM, the past two coaching searches, Easterby... I don't need to rehash it all - you know their history, probably have your own (long) list and get the point. They had driven me away with years of bad decisions; just one after another.

I'm here to tell you: I'm back. But that's not the point of the post - who cares what I think? The point is: I'm pretty freaking certain this is my favorite Texans team ever. I'm not arguing best - but favorite. In the past, something always kept them at arm's length (I think some of it is that there's really no clear-cut dominant team to make us aware of our ceiling. The Kubiak era was always in Manning/Brady's shadow and Watson's era was always clearly in peak Reid/Mahomes' shadow. But the AFC feels so unpredictable and wide open this year.)

Anyway, as I was saying: I *LOVE* this team. They are giving me strong "2015 Astros" vibes - just a great group, top to bottom, of good but also incredibly likeable guys, starting with what is shaping up to be one of the greatest coaching hires in the city's history.

Winning is always fun - but this year feels different from any other Texans' season. This Texans team feels different from any other Texans team. I really, truly believe they have something special here.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

First time in Texans history that I feel they have a chance to go all the way. Maybe not this year but the foundation is in place.

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

This team is just so fun to watch. Even losses I haven’t felt as defeated as I have in the past. And yea, probably not this year or anything, but definitely the first time I thought, we are building to a champion contender.. and I thought we were years of rebuilds away.

I said it somewhere earlier in the year, but it’s crazy, when Stroud releases the ball, my assumption is that there is someone pretty open for a big completion… every time. I have never felt that, even with Watson because the playcalling was so bad. Slowik has his issues, but he’s still better than BOB, Tim Kelly, and Pep.. it’s the same feeling I used to get any time Mahomes threw the ball, you just knew Kelce was sitting somewhere wide open for the catch. It gives a feeling that we can always make something happen. Couple that with Stroud leading 45 second game winning drives, something it felt like we could never do… just such an exciting time to be a Texans fan… FINALLY.

TheRealist137 and Hey Now! like this.
  4. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I never really checked out on the team but my fanaticism was reduced to watching only games the Texans against local TV market teams here in upstate NY. I always lurked on the board to check the temperature of the posters on this forum and chimed in on occasion.
    This year I had a feeling the floor had been reached and only place to go was up. So I bought the Sunday ticket on YouTube TV. Just to hopefully see improvement.
    That was the the best 300 bucks spent this year.
    They have exceeded all expectations.
    We may or may not make the playoffs, but I guarantee they win the division next year if we only have 1/2 the injuries and the free agents come to town.

Yesterday was a GOOD DAY!!

Hey Now! and houstonstime like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed
    It's been a winding road

Rocket River

Uprising, Hey Now! and javal_lon like this.
  6. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

I’m right there with you. Even more so than the 2012 squad (minus the dumb letterman jackets)

this is what i love.

Hey Now! likes this.
  7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I concur.. Still not 100% on board , but I'm happy to see the excitement in the city..

Hey Now! likes this.
  8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's the 2011 squad and this 2023 team at the top and everything else is way down the list.

Even when Watson was at his peak, there wasn't a well-rounded team and the playcalling and game management was abysmal.

I love how smart this team coaches and plays. There are always going to be questionable calls, especially on the offensive side when they don't work out, but this is another level of coaching that we haven't seen before.

9. conquistador#11

I was a victim of having 2 thread pages opened at the same tiime.

Easterby was 3 years too early. Can you imagine Stroud and Easterby, they'd be raising the dead after the games.
    hhehehehe you'll laugh at that later.

Viol8r and Verbal Christ like this.
  10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s good to actually care again because I hadn’t the last few years.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This is a Dynasty Team. We have elite level young talent at critical positions locked up for the foreseeable future. This team can go buy some Tier 1 free agents and conceivably be in the Super Bowl hunt next year and for years to come while cycling the contracts accordingly and maximizing the window of contention. Its really laid out well in our favor. Exciting times lie ahead!

edit: I didnt even mention DeMeco. He's just as big a reason for the turnaround and future success. Born to be a good coach.

#11 Verbal Christ, Dec 18, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Exactly the same. That 2011 team was my previous favorite. But, like I said: they always felt in Manning and/or Brady's shadow. Their ceiling was very clearly Wild Card/divisional round.

Watson's era had Hopkins and Watt - but it just never quite came together for me. I thought O'Brien was a fun coach in '14, and then... I'm not sure what happened. I never thought BOB was a terrible coach - but there were too many games where he was clearly the second-best HC on the field. And regardless of the result, he was so ****ing unlikeable. Watson was promising - but I never bought into him fully. I thought he was very good, and he had transcendent moments - maybe it was coaching, I don't know? It always felt... off. Maybe that's hindsight?

But, yes - you hit the nail on the head, I think: I *never* feel like DeMeco is being outcoached. His staff seems really smart and they very clearly adjust throughout the game. Kubiak was very obviously a good coach - but maybe it was harder to see/appreciate him since it was sooooo system-based. And there was always at least one coach on Kubiak's staffs that made no sense and held everything back.

Ryans looks like he's diagramming plays in the dirt with bottle caps - not to say he's rudimentary, by any means - but you can really *see* them coaching. It's a more tangible experience. Tennessee looked absolutely unstoppable on the first drive, and I immediately had a bad feeling. But they didn't panic, stayed after Henry until they found a weak spot (the rookie LG) and they EXPLOITED. It was fun to watch.

#12 Hey Now!, Dec 18, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    Uprising, Mr. Dominant and MadMax like this.
  13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

@Hey Now! , Another thing I think with Watson everything he said sounded manufactured … I think it was hard to see it back then because we wanted to believe so much but the comparison is definite now that I look back …With CJ there is no social media nonsense …his smile and personality is more genuine

Of course he wants to be great but he has this right feel. I don’t know exactly how best to put it… He’s sincere. He’s a young man with the right foundation.

Having his religion is a great thing but there is also is a rare trait that I see (humility and a desire to learn) he constantly says “any blessings get I don’t deserve but I am thankful for it”…This is humility that goes beyond religion it goes to the make up of someone who is willing to do what it takes to be great (such as asking Brady a question about handling success and being real about it) but also knows that he has work to do that goes beyond expecting greatness.

Then you have Singletary coming out towards the end I was so frustrated with Pierce and this timing couldn’t have been better….

Then you have Greenard who is really turning out to be a premier pass rusher and so disruptive…He looks like a first round talent when it’s easy to forget only three years ago he was drafted mid third round..
    Then Stingley Is playing like he belongs at where he was drafted

Then you have a great coach it’s all coming together basically despite the injuries which makes it even more easy to love this team and I am right there with you this is one of my favorite Texans seasons

Red.Glare, MadMax and Hey Now! like this.
  14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This right here is why I am BEGGING AND PRAYING that the Football Gods allow us to squeak into the playoffs this year. With a healthy CJ and healthy defense, literally ANYTHING is possible in this conference. This group of guys deserves to experience the playoffs! And honestly, once they're in, I don't think anybody can look at them on the schedule and think "easy win". If nothing else, I want the young guys to understand what it feels like to get there, and understand what they are aiming for. This franchise has been lost for a large portion of its existence, but it finally feels like they have a compass and a Cap that can guide us to success.

Agent94, Mr. Dominant and the shark like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Got to sweep the rest of the games and hope TB can beat Jags in Tampa. No way they lose to Carolina or Titans.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

AFC is wide open and the Texans secondary with a Pitre playing up to his ability is really really good.

They have a shot. Nobody wants to play the Texans this year. They just need to win 1 of the next 2 and they get an end of year shot with Indy for an auto playoff spot.

Or they could win the next two and the Indy game could be for the division. Lets see.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Lawrence entering concussion protocol

Who gets out first Stroud or Lawrence?

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They very well could lose to the Titans. It depends on who makes more mistakes, Pecs Flex Boy or Swish My Hair Boy.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

2002-2005: honeymoon phase
    2006-2009: frustration but progress
    2010-2012: holy **** we could actually win something
    2013-2016: rebuilding on the fly
    2017-2019: pure unadulterated hate-watching
    2020-2022: the long dark
    2023-?: a new hope

It feels so amazing and weird to go from the most I have ever hated a sports team to one of the funnest to watch and most likable teams I've ever seen.

The coach, the GM, the QB on down... Even Cal has this lovable goober thing going on.

[​IMG]

upload_2023-12-18_13-43-36.jpeg

Attached Files:

vince, Uprising and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Usually I make fun of people that run from an organization but how could you not. It was the right thing to do.

• Texans trade Duane Brown for pennies on the dollar instead of holding out
    • Texans trade for Laremy Tunsil giving away a crazy haul despite not being close to competing for a ring
    • Texans bring in Jack Easterby
    • Texans fire Brian Gaine after a few months(reported Easterby decision)
    • BoB takes over GM duties
    • Texans trade Deandre for a washed RB(shortly after Minnesota gets a 1st Round Pick)
    • Jack Easterby reported disfunction
    • Texans lose to Chiefs after having 24-0 lead in first half
    • BOB fired after slow start
    • Nick Caserio hired(proved to be a good move, but fans exhausted from Patriot South idea)
    • Culley hire
    • Lovey Smith ineptitude
    It was a lot, and nobody can blame anyone for running away from this **** show.

Luckily for the Texans. The fans started to walk out the door and guess what... The Texans went out and did something about it.

Demeco Ryans
    CJ Stroud
    Will Anderson
    Tank Dell

A lot of Pro Fan decisions.

Texans fans wanted Demeco

Fans wanted a QB, fans wanted a DE, Fans wanted the UoH WR.

They ****ing nailed it.

Uprising, houstonstime and ROXRAN like this.