1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE Austin Rivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 24, 2019.

1. s3ts

s3ts Member

manage your expectations, foo

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

He really needs to get help from a shooting coach to get the kinks out of the form. You can usually tell which of his shots are going to go in and which aren't just from the release.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't hate either House or Morey in the situation. Both are trying to get the best situation they can. What I push back against is the idea that Morey is outrageous for not wanting to give House more money.

YOLO, topfive and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rivers is still playing a TON of minutes and playing well defensively. Yes his shooting has gone down hill. I am still wondering about the finger he jammed in the Bucks game and then again in a game following. Is that still bothering him? We don't know.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Apology accepted.

I think Harden has to play this way with what he has right now, I just hope it mellows out a bit once CP3 and Capela get back and Faried acclimates.

And I love Harden, I just want him to play a little more D......

DD

6. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

I think he's playing with an injured hand.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I guess I got confused. You said you didn't think he could sustain the level of ball he was playing on his 'run'. He didn't shoot 50% from 3 on the 'run', he shot 50% from three for one game. I can apologize as I did interpret your reaction as having a more pessimistic outlook on his abilities.. In my opinion he is worthy of more than a minimum contract. Where you on the other hand seemed to see him as a good minimum level player to have. I was just saying that I disagreed with that assessment because the numbers he pulled in during that 'run' weren't even up to the numbers he has averaged for the last 3 seasons. That leads me to believe how he played on that 'run' is fully sustainable, even expected.

This is why I was saying to not worry for the recent downtrend as his play has coincidently and conveniently dropped to concide with the return of Eric Gordon.. what that just means is he needs a few practices with Gordon to adjust and get back into a good sustainable rythm.

For sure we are being like Steven and Max, but meaningless discussions about a sport and team we're passionate about is what makes clutchfans great :D. By the way, in this relationship I deem you the Max to my Steven.

#48 Realjad, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    IvanLCPM and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Zergling

Zergling Member

He was called for an 8 second violation for failing to bring the ball past midcourt and it was completely overshadowed by Tucker's gaffe.

If Tucker still needs a date, Rivers owes him big.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

hahaha I'm fine with being Max! I also apologize if I sounded rude, I guess I was a little bit. Maybe I expressed myself the wrong way (I'm a brazilian who lived in Houston for 2 years and now I don't practice much). I think he could be an MLE type of player if he continues to play well and I actually feel less hesitant about trading Ego for a good wing. Hell, if he plays like he played in his first games, he would be worth at least 8-10 million. I just hope he can be a contributor come playoffs time.

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

His defense is valuable

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I don’t know. Maybe I’m being naive but I feel like a guy like Rivers does not put up enough 3s in workouts and that’s all he should be practicing.

Harden said when PJ first signed on that summer he came into the gym and saw PJ putting up tons of threes for practice. It obviously helped with something. I feel some players think they do enough but really waste their time on other parts of their games.

Rivers has enough athleticism and skill. He should just be chucking hundreds and hundreds of threes in practice.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. rockets13champs

He’s being asked to do too much. When Lou Williams joined the rockets he was really hot to start but when post season and late season came around he was really cold. Austin Rivers mins will go down a ton when cp3 returns. He’s gonna trim hardens mins down to 34ish and some of Gordon’s mins. Rivers in reality will be playing around 12-15 mins a game and give us better efficiency

14. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Hey man, don’t talk to him like that.

Jk, I agree, he does need to stfu.

topfive, hakeem94 and arabrocket like this.
  15. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Well said man!!

16. Hmc415

Hmc415 Member

I think that just like pj, he's a lil gassed. Remember Austin has usually been a bench player but he was playing 40+ min every game when eg was out

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

To be fair, it was always sad that we were resting our hopes on Austin Rivers and Danuel House for that matter. Even with the injuries, at some point the doing more with less approach by Morey has to land some singles and ideally more triples. We have some successful role players but our rotation is worse than most NBA teams even healthy. We need a starting 3/4 that can score to counterbalance Tucker’s lack of offense. Morey is accountable and recognizes the need thus our waived player signings which are kinda no-brainers for both the player and the team.

18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Austin needs an uptempo style to get his rhythm. The pace he likes is not the same pace that james harden plays throughout the game. When the real second unit rotations are solidified and the 2nd unit plays a little faster he will get into it. For now he needs to work on in his catch and shoot game because he in particular is going to get more shots like this in the future.

DanO 337 and hakeem94 like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL
    The same goes for entire freaking squad....they are SIMPLY not practicing shooting 3s
    give me 500 makes a day and no chance in hell you will be missing wide open shots in games
    SACRILEGIOUS

DanO 337 likes this.
  20. DanO 337

DanO 337 Member

Wow, that was fast... I think its going to be aight. I could be wrong but he's better than what we had. I think getting Gordon back kinda messed up the feel. Not saying it's his fault. But rivers is a facilitator and sometimes so is e.g. I think we can figure this distributing thing out. I hope! A lot was put on rivers quick. I don't think its that bad though. That's just me.