1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE Austin Rivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 24, 2019.

1. ImMikeV

ImMikeV Member

This... He jammed it against MIL.

Pizza_Da_Hut and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Went from people drooling over giving him the MLE to a hate thread in less than a month lol.

Remember how quickly things change when you wonder why Morey doesn't want to give the MLE to the less accomplished in his career Danuel House.

Patience, Pizza_Da_Hut and YOLO like this.
  3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

what he brings every night is defense, which is why he is in there....and playing that many minutes does effect someone's shot on the other end....he's still a steal for us and the best defender at the 1 spot that we have on this team.

#23 jcmoon, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

and all I'm saying is I believe you're wrong. Of course I don't expect 50% from three, however, unlike you I DO think his 'run' is sustainable considering what he was providing during that 'run' overall wasn't even as good as what he's averaged the last three years. He is known to have that good defense to boot. I guess I just don't see why you wouldn't believe what he was doing could be sustainable.

There is a reason we along with everyone else hated him. Dude is annoying & whiny as hell, like a villian. But a villian that is a pushover whom sucks is not really a villian.. we hated him because he was annoying, but in crunch times and big games he was absolutely competitive and possessed an adequate big boy NBA level basketball IQ.

#24 Realjad, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Where's that damn "Never go full Ashleyem!" gif when you need it?

BeBreezy and DreamShook like this.
  6. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

I guess we are saying the same thing... I said his 50% 3pt shooting wasn't sustainable, you said I'm wrong but agrees with me. I said he can't play lockdown defense like that, but I believe he can be above average in that department. I guess I have the same opinion on him as you, but I actually never hated the guy, I actually felt sorry for him about having to play for his dad (it creates a whole new level of pressure). I think he will be a solid guy off the bench (like I said before) and you seem to agree with me, only to say I'm wrong. We look like Stephen A. and Max having meaningless discussions just for the sake of it!

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

When Austin Rivers is hitting shots, he's a steal. When he's not, he's plugging what would otherwise be a massive hole in our switching defense, and keeping James Harden fresh by shouldering the backcourt defensive load. For that, he gets far less credit than he deserves. This thread is an example.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Rivers ranks in defenseive rpm as far back as the numbers go among qualified PGs.

18/19 = 83/97
    17/18 = 71/79
    16/17 = 53/66
    15/16 = 42/54
    14/15 = 35/49
    13/14 = 33/40

Not pretty. He had a great start for us, but the shooting has normalized and the numbers say expecting much out of him on defense isn’t very smart. His biggest value to us is his ability to handle the ball at an NBA level. Something we sorely are lacking.

saleem likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

not even sure where the notion of rivers being on the floor for his defense came from. thats never been his calling card. he's on the floor mostly because it gives hou another capable ball handler, who is versatile offensively as far as being able to iso and being a playmaker

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

11. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Yeah I think his problem is he thinks he is better then what he really is. But on the other hand once Chris Paul comes back then he will come off the bench.

12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

once again you are wrong. but its ok dude cuz you don't know much. lol. he guarded the best perimeter defender in pauls last year with the clippers, and has done much of that in his career. he has good postional defense with quick feet.

Will and hakeem94 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

coming from someone who thinks melo is still good, that's how much i value your post and what you actually know. next "lol"

Madmanmetz likes this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I understand the limitations of the available defensive numbers and hell maybe this is another instance where they have it completely wrong, but almost every one you look at rates Rivers as one of the worst guard defenders in the entire league. It might look like he’s playing effective defense( ie Westbrook), but the results aren’t pretty.

YOLO likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, with Harden shooting 32 times a game, not much else for him to do.

DD

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Because shooting is the only thing expected of role players, right? :rolleyes:

Last night, though, Austin was definitely off his game. It seems to me that when he struggles with his offense, he gets down on himself and plays poorly across the board. When he's in a slump, he needs to play defense harder and things will come around.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, but this was about him not scoring as much, I would bet most of everyone's scoring is down a bit with Harden on his tear.

DD

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The issue is, (fallacy of middle ground aside) I also hate the people attacking House for not just taking whatever Morey puts in front of him. The best move for the rockets long term has always been offer House a minimum longer deal, if he doesn't bite wait until the buyout market dries up then offer a bit more. As it stands, just like we saw in the Capela standoff it would be illogical for Morey to bid against himself. As much as I love this guy, out of sheer curiosity I just wonder what he would have done with that Knicks team and Melo. He has shown time and time again he can do more with less and play to both short and long term goals. Is every hit he makes a home run? Nope, but base hits also help a lot.

dmoneybangbang and justtxyank like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Gotcha. Apologies. That was my kneejerk reaction to what appeared to be yet another DaDakota attempt to find a James Harden flaw.