1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I got my first one

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Stevierebel, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Nice article. Congrats!

3. Stevierebel

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

way to go!
    good job... is this a regular gig for you?

rH

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

perfect article Stevie!

"Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. That is the only secret of style." - Matthew Arnold (some random quote in a writing textbook).

You write coherent and concise. Congratulations. I hope to write that well at some point in my life.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Stevie,

Congrats! Looks very nice. I do have a couple of suggestions:

— With playoff trips the past three years, the Klein Bearkat football team looks toward extending their playoff streak with new and old players that are going to see playing time as the season begins.

Try to avoid the terms new and old when discussing sports at the high school and college level. Incoming and returning players, or something like that, just makes it look a little more professional. Also, keep most things in active voice. You did an excellent job in this throughout the article, but adding a word such as will in the lead in place of "are going to" would make it sound even better. I know both of these suggestions are pretty picky, but the only reason I mention them is because you seem to have a lot of talent. If you work at it, you seem to have a lot of potential. Good luck! :)

P.S. I've been a editor-in-chief, managing editor, and sports editor at the HS level, so if you ever need any help, let me know. My email is on the forums page next to the fantasy forum.

BTW, is this a permanent job for you?

7. Stevierebel

Yeah, they want me to recap every game for the Kats this year. I am very excited. Journalism is a great thing that I have picked up while at Klein. Achebe and rockHEAD, thank you for your praises. I just hope the rest will come this smoothly for me. I am also open to writing for this site if needed. :) Thank you for the advice Cat. I am now the Sports and Orgs editor for Klein.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Cool stuff Stevie. Now get to work and get into the Rockets training camp and during the season so we can get "inside stories". Stop resting on your laurels! :D

Congrats, d00d!

9. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Sweet deal. :)

10. Stevierebel

I wish I can go to Rocket camp. It is probably my dream goal to broadcast for the Rockets or to be a team doctor.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Nice article. :)

12. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Hey Steve - Where's the article on our school? ;) You know, the school with the tradition of getting our @ss kicked by you guys!! :)

How did you get that gig?? I work with our football team as "Stat Man" and if our school could do the same thing on that website, I'm sure I could get Coach Johnson to give me the job. He already wants me to set up our website on ihigh.com. If you could give me some info about that, I would really appreciate. And BTW, good job on your first article.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Sweet. I didn't know there were other sportswriters in here.

14. Stevierebel

Greg, just wait 'til we play you. :) I don't think it will be pretty this year.
    I was asked by my yearbook advisor if I wanted to do this because a guy from channel 13 called her and asked if we were interested. I was, so I did it. Email me if you want his name.

15. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

I e-mailed you for the info.

This year, we'll stuggle against The Woodlands, Westfield, and Baytown Lee along with Klein. To make te playoffs, we have to beat Spring (which will happen) and beat Klein (not likely at this point) or Westfield (we have a chance). One more thing...we can't choke at Homecoming against Tomball for the umpteenth year in a row. :)

16. Stevierebel

Don't count you blessings with us. We will treat you for years to come the way we are making Oak squeel like a pig now :). Good luck, I hope y'all win 3 games this year.

17. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

I beg your pardon!!! We'll start off 4-1 most likely and probably finish 6-4 or 7-3 if we're lucky. We'll still cream Klein Oak like we have the past 2 years and the playoffs aren't completely out of reach.

18. Stevierebel

haha, I am just teasing with you. But expect no mercy against us.

19. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member