1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I.D.I.O.T. - Offensive Inefficiency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sorry but this deserves its own thread.
    This came up in the Daily Jalen Green wrecking session but this is concerning

@zeeshan2 Posted

Am I the only one concerned that we have 4 people on that list.
    1. Jalen Green
    2. Dillon Brooks
    5. Jabari Smith Jr.
    7. Fred VanVleet

2 of them are our VETs/Big Splash free agents?

WTF are we doing . . .. Just hoisting sh*t up and hoping for the best??
    I guess I been in the thick of thin things and could not see the forest for the trees
    I'm sorry but this should be unacceptable!

24th in Offensive Efficiency
    Ahead of the TITANS OF THE NBA:
    Detroit - Washington - Charlotte - San Antoinio -- Portland and the G-Leaguers of Memphis

We maybe Railing on Jalen Green but this seems to REALLY BE A TEAM SPORT!!!

Rocket River
    It seems we are #6 in defensive efficiency but what does it matter if you hold the other team to 60 pts but can only score 20

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What exactly is the Udoka offense? Where are all the Popovich screens that generate easy baskets? Udoka won a ring as an assistant with Pop - he saw first hand how successful motion and multiple screens are. Parker and Ginobili working off 3 sometimes 4 screens to get open looks. Here we have Fred/Sengun PNR and a bunch of chucking. Its absurd especially when you know you have a bad outside shooting team and yet he still tries to hammer the round peg into the square hole. The issues go WAY beyond Jalen Green being unplayable.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody wanted to really believe that Freddy and Dillon were huge chuckers with their previous teams.

Nook and Rocket River like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe he needed Joe Mazzulla as much as Joe needed him.
    Celts defense may have fell off but their offense seem elite
    The basic structure/fundamentals of defense is there for them to coast on it
    here
    We have not installed that for our offense.

Rocket River

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. MystikArkitect

Clearly it's because of Sengun's defense

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Any warm body would be a good coach when they have Tatum and Brown to defer to.

edit: BOS slipped from 1st overall D to 5th - not exactly a "we miss Udoka" sign.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This dude had one coaching season and he went to the Finals but before that he had one of the most inefficient Offenses......

He showed he can coach in Playoff series but getting there without Tatum&Brown is the key.

Imma just say it .......Smallest Sample Size.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I expected an improvement on defense, but the defense has far exceeded my expectations.
    Offense has been about what I expected from a roster like this. Not much offensive talent whatsoever. Only 1 player above league average efficiency in the starting lineup(Sengun) and he’s just barely over.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you remember, this was my concern when they signed FVV and Brooks.... what's funny is that they are both having career best or near career best seasons when it comes to scoring efficiency... yet they are still on this list.

harold bingo likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just like you can coach around defensive ability . . .you can coach around offensive ability
    I like IME . . .and I'm sticking with him but I think we need someone to run the offence
    Mike D . . . SUCKED AT DEFENSE but we have BIG Jeff Bzdelik to work that side of the ball
    Ime *maybe* the opposite. . .we need someone to run the offensive side

Rocket River

Dobbizzle and BamBam like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Paying max to FVV and $90 mil to Brooks. wooohoooooo

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

D*MMIT!! It just hit me
    THAT's 4/5ths of our STARTING LINEUP!!!

Rocket River

Imanimal, Dobbizzle, topfive and 2 others like this.
  14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Well I can assure you IME isn't concerned. Jalen Green is here to stay bub.

15. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

They fixed the defense. Now, we need to fix the offense over the next 1-2 seasons by... A.) Moving on from Fred, Jalen, and Dillon; B.) Bringing in 2-3 shooters this offseason.

Bonus C.) Bringing in some more rim projection on top of Adams (need to keep Adams + add 1-2 younger bigs).

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. invocux

invocux Member

4 of our 5 starters are there. Notice who isn't there? This is expected though. Fred tries the most ridiculous layups you would ever see in your life. Guy tries to finish over 6'10s 6'11s every single night. The ball touches the ceiling of the arena and doesn't go in as expected. Brooks likes attacking to the rim but has terrible touch so he literally shoots it to the glass instead of finger rolling it. Jalen keeps getting blocked and he can't finish either. Our offense literally sucks gorilla ass. Other than Sengun post up we don't have any go to play. Nothing else works consistently. Sengun post up and Fred 3 is our entire offense.

#16 invocux, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Correct.

We have to install a system that is built for the long haul.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

the one who doesn't shoot 3s and jumpshots. he has no reason to be there when gets most of his shots at the rim so he better not be there

topfive and PeppermintCandy like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I have to remind myself that the Spurs were a 40% 3pt shooting TEAM --- sigh.

Strawberry Gum and harold bingo like this.
  20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While that list is kind of alarming, you also need to be aware that it is just measuring overall FG%. FVV and Brooks are both decent-to-good 3pt shooters, and both take more 3s than 2s per game. That drags their FG% down while actually making them more effective shooters.