1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I come here more than the GARM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockbox, Apr 7, 2022.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I really don't visit the GARM much anymore after the Harden trade. The Astros and Rockets prove that ownership matters in pro sports. Owners are the ones that evaluate and hire GM's. Crane proves that he can identify a good GM and manager.

I'll be sad when this run is over but I will be a forever Altuve, Correa, Morton, Gurriel, Springer, Verlander, Keuchel, Bregman fan. They are my Dream, Drexler, Horry, Ellie, Mad Max and Cassell.

2. Buck Turgidson

I caught good-natured crap in the GARM yesterday:

I actually haven't been here much at all this offseason, started browsing again last week or so. No idea why, really, but I just didn't get into the offseason and ST like usual, but now it's go time.

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Buck Turgidson in mid-season form, you love to see it!! :p

Here's to another fun summer and extended run; cheers!!

Buck Turgidson, cmoak1982 and rockbox like this.
  4. rockbox

I'm not even a huge baseball fan. This organization has made me one. They haven't really made any dumb moves other than letting Morton go. Click was smart enough to sign him in Tampa. I'm not saying that every move worked out well but I can't really fault any of their moves. Sometimes players just end up sucking or blowing up like JD did.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've got back into the GARM this season, but still a bigger Astros fan. Westbrook was it for me for a while as I had no interest in watching the team crumble based on a self-inflicted wound.

I'm liking Jalen Green and Sengun (though, he's not been as good as he was the first 20 or so games). Rockets feel like the Astros did around 2013-2014. A lot of promise, but I doubt they have the same success the Astros did.

No Worries, awc713 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. rockbox

What the Astros are doing is pretty unique for a small market team (football is still king in Houston). How many teams have had a decade of contending not named Yankees or Dodgers? The 90's Braves are the only team I can think of.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Boston looked like they were on their way to a rebuild but their young guys have kept them going pretty well. Tampa and their budget are still the top of the class pound for pound.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Cleveland had an 8 year run starting in '94, Cards had 7 starting in '00. It's hard to do.

Also, the days of Houston being a small market team are over. They're not megamarket level but are solidly in the tier below.

They've also finished last in the AL East 5 times in the past 10 years.

#8 Buck Turgidson, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    rockbox and jiggyfly like this.
  9. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

This is the way

cmoak1982, awc713, msn and 2 others like this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've been avoiding GARM for years. My posts are overwhelmingly dedicated to this forum and D&D. Occasionally go into NBA Dish, Hangout or Football sections.

11. msn

msn Member

Me, too (in reply to thread title). Always have. I'm a baseball guy. I know this is primarily a Rockets forum, and I am a Rockets fan (back in the early 80s the twin towers got me interested in hoops and won me over to the Rox), but I'm a third-generation baseball-is-king guy, and I found the baseball chat here on this basketball forum to be better than most of the other forums I found out there (with apologies to OWA). I occasionally crawl out of here and venture into GARM or Texans, but not much.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The more people that get involved in a discussion, the lower quality the discussion becomes. People revert to screaming to get their point across. It's not just the GARM, it's everywhere. This is primarily a Rockets forum, so naturally the GARM will have significantly more traffic, and less quality.

FWIW, I was a Rockets fan before I was an Astros fan, gun to my head I would probably still pick the Rockets over the Astros. But over the last few years, the Astros are simply a far more competent organization, and the Rockets fell apart due to a disasterous self inflicted wound. It's admittedly put a damper on my fandom recently

#12 sealclubber1016, Apr 7, 2022
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

There is some good content in the GARM (few and far between, but it’s there, and I will occasionally peruse), but yeah I agree this forum as a whole is a much better read (esp w ignore on). I’ve unsubscribed to the athletic (in part because I’m bitter and found their coverage to be a bit slanted, but I’m a picky journalism major), and also because I get all my free intel from Snake, TellIt, JoeJoe et al

#13 awc713, Apr 7, 2022
    Snake Diggit and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I have been posting more here for some time. The Rockets have some hope now though. Paying more attention as the season wore on.

But the Rockets are not winning anything anytime soon other than the lottery.

The Astros remain the only hope of winning for the foreseeable future.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm even worse. I go to the D&D more than the GARM.

16. HeyBudLetsParty

Yep, it’s funny that probably the best most active community for Astros fans is on a Rockets forum

msn and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. rockbox

Don't know about the most active, but the definitely the smartest. The astros subreddit is pretty active.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I definitely think being on a subforum on a Rockets forum weeds out a lot of the people wanting to just troll.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This was an even better forum when they were bad.

msn, arkoe, rockbox and 1 other person like this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Really was. Only those of us that were here to discuss baseball and keeping up with the minor leagues were here. Still pretty good, even with some posters who can't keep their politics out of a baseball forum. Though we seem to manage to weed out the dumbassery better in this sub forum than the others.

I almost never am in the GARM anymore. Maybe 2 posts this entire season...which is probably close to my average over the last 10 years or so (lord I've been here a long time).