1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I can't believe I am asking this question!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by countingcrow, Jan 17, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

What exactly does a player have to do to accumulate an assist? I know that the only player than can be accredited with an assist is the player who last handled the basketball before the player that scores. Now here is my question:

*Does it still count as an assist if the player that scores dribbles the basketball after receiving the ball before scoring?

*Or does an assist only take place when there is no dribbling by the shooter before he scores?

I feel really stupid for asking this question

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by countingcrow (edited January 17, 2001).]

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

No dribbling allowed. Assist-A pass that leads DIRECTLY to a basket.

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, but there's the law and the "interpretation of the law". In this case, what Bobo said is right, but you often see players take a couple of dribbles before scoring and the person that passed to them still get credited for an assist.

------------------
    "I personally don't think Jordan would have enjoyed playing with himself." -- JeffB lets us all know that Popeye and Clutch aren't the only ones with inside sources... (also an example of a BBS "sound-bite")

4. RENDIGGLER3:20

You are really stupid!!!

ASS

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the why in the Hell isnt Langhi playing club!!!

5. Heath

Heath Member

Ok, when we are about to ask stupid stats questions - when is a rebound a team rebound and when is it a personal rebound? I know it is a team rebound on missed 1st FTs, but is there other rebs that goes in the team rebound column? As an example - player A tips the reb to player B - Is it then a rebound for the team, player B or player A. And does it count as a team rebound or a personal rebound if the ball falls to the floor first?

------------------
    Heath
    -where have all the spaces gone?

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A team rebound is any missed shot that nobody on the court gets. For example, someone shoots the ball, it bounces off the rim and goes out of bounds. Whoever did NOT touch it last before it went out of bounds gets credited for a team rebound.

Another example : a jumpball is called, whoever wins the jumpball gets a team rebound (I'm iffy on this one, but I think that's right).

Still another example : you shoot the ball and it bounces over the backboard. The ball turns over to me and I also get credited for a team rebound.

How about yet another example? [​IMG] The ball is shot, the buzzer goes off, the shot doesn't fall... the defensive team gets credited for a team rebound. There are probably more, but I guess you get the idea...

------------------
    "I personally don't think Jordan would have enjoyed playing with himself." -- JeffB lets us all know that Popeye and Clutch aren't the only ones with inside sources... (also an example of a BBS "sound-bite")

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited January 18, 2001).]

7. Heath

Heath Member

Thanks that really cleared it up for me, and everything else goes in the personal column, however easy they are. [​IMG]

I guess picking up rebs that falls to the ground under you - or being tipped to you by a teammate everyone can manage without leaping and fighting like the hustling rebounders.

------------------
    Heath
    -where have all the spaces gone?

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

UNLESS it is Stockton, Kidd, or Payton.

He he

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."