1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I apologize UH.....

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by hlmbasketball, Sep 5, 2021.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Not just no but HELL NO!!

Tomstro and Fulgore like this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Apologies not excepted

King1 and vince like this.
  3. vince

vince Member

Herman can take his big program pedigree and latch onto another top tier school, UH isn’t his dream job - the longhorns gig was his destiny calling. Anyway Cougars don’t want him or his pompous rump.

Herman got buckets full of Longhorn money, he’s gotten his payday to last him a lifetime.

Tomstro and Fulgore like this.
  4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Does UH have an opening to discuss Herman? I’m confused.

5. Buck Turgidson

LOL

I'm sure Fertitta has openings, yes.

Nook likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He could have gotten away with that at UCF or Memphis but not here. This city is big on loyalty and trust. Plus the amount of hatred for UT and disappointment from UT fans wouldn't work out well for him during intros.

He can kiss my ass coming off the bus.

Roc Paint likes this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

yes. They do.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Cougar fans always make a big stink about how they'd never take Coach X or Y back but the flat truth is that nearly all of them would absolutely take back Satan himself if it meant 10 wins a year.

Losing a coach every 3 or 4 years is a hell of a lot better than firing a coach every 3 or 4 years.

Nook likes this.
  9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I don't know how any UH fan can be happy with Dana Holgerson. I have dog cussed Herman and took immense joy in his failures since he left Houston, but he is better than what they have now.

Nook likes this.
  10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Herman's an assistant with the Bears and a championship-level coordinator. He built what relationships he could with Houston high school coaches and left once a drastically better opportunity came along. Now he's in the league and doesn't have to deal with bs from entitled alumni or third party fan bloggers.

Nook likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'd take him back in a heartbeat. He's one of the bigger reasons the football program is currently even looking the way it is now as far as all the facilities. Sure he left, so what. It's college football it happens. But he was the right coach for UH. He left the program 10x better than what it was before he coached there

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Herman failed at UT and was a jackass with how he left UH... he trashed the car that the booster gave him and left it parked on the "no parking" area by the airport. He really was not a good guy at the end of the UH portion of his coaching career. Having said that, Herman will never have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to.... his UT buyout alone was $15,000,000. He has by all accounts a good wife and family, he is relatively young and in good physical shape... so he has it better than 99.95% of people in the world.

He is working with the Chicago Bears and will likely try his hand in the NFL for awhile. His game planning is excellent when given time, he is also very bright... so I wouldn't be surprised if he is successful in the NFL.... and he doesn't have to act like he is a mentor to "young men" in the NFL, he can be the ruthless, win at all costs type he really is.

As for UH.... they need to get into the Big XII with the rest of the "not quite good enough for primetime players" in that conference (Everyone but UT and OU) and see if they can start winning and possibly hop conferences down the road or get enough coverage and money to attract better coaches and athletes.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would he go back? is their fanbase desperate?
    DH is not a bad coach, he's got to deal with the cards he was handed with.

Where's Sumlin?

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Should be noted that he did not leave any of his last three jobs on good terms. All accounts was that he was a jackass during his tenure at UT as well pissing off admin, players, parents, HS coaches, etc...

Nook likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

LOL so that story is true? I remember hearing he "left in the parking lot", but not that he lit it on fire and crashed into into a "do not park here" zone.

It's year 3, dude. They're his cards. He's sleepwalking his way to an early exit here with that pathetic checkdown offense.

Behind closed doors Herman was always doing this blustery, big dick, "my way or the highway" stuff. Which absolutely works when you're winning, but gets real dicey when you're losing. In public he made a big effort to embrace the culture of the fans and players.

You don't get to the top of the heap in any business without stabbing a few people in the back, but it's kind of a bummer hearing how much of an ass he was for just no apparent reason.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, he drove up to the drop off spot at the airport.... parked the car, got on the plane and left the car there. The car was obviously immediately ticketed and towed. The car also had damage to it and was full of trash and dip stains (I didn't even know he did dip)..... he also broke the white board on his office wall by punching it and pulling it off the wall, and he flipped his desk over and left a massive mess for the cleaning staff to clean up.... it was so bad that photographs were taken and send to the administration. Basically he did everything possible to end the relationship on bad terms when that really wasn't necessary as the Regents knew he would leave for an offer from UT or Ohio State...... I know that one administrator that knew him well said they felt he did it all to justify his leaving.... it was shocking to them. They did not see him acting that way at all because they felt they went out of their way to keep him happy. After he left there were whispers of some issues with coeds and covering some stuff up but I have no idea if that is true. I do know for a fact that the car story and the office story are true.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Holy ****. That's so insanely stupid. I can understand being a slob and trashing a car some mouthy booster gave you to tool around in, but trashing your office... the **** is the point of that? You're leaving dude, you don't have to make your current employer hate you. There has to be more to the story there. He and Tilman probably got into a pissing match or something. Can't imagine our AD at the time (Hunter Yurachek) did anything to him.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

last year was a strange year, especially for UH because of the all the game cancellations.

So did the fanbase expect UH to beat Texas Tech?

19. Nook

Nook Member

My understanding is that Herman wouldn't talk to anyone at UH about it right after it happened and later denied that he did it when finally he did respond. The fact is that he left UH, and the attitude that the Regents and Administration took from it was that Herman felt he was too good for UH and they were not beneath them. That speaks to the size of his ego.

So while anything is possible (UH has some decision makers that would make a deal with the devil to win at football), it is very unlikely that UH would want Herman back, and very unlikely that Herman would suck up his pride enough to comeback. It seems that he has pivoted to the NFL anyway, and that is more inline with his real value system. In college Herman has to pretend like he gives a **** about his players, in the NFL it is everyone for themselves. Herman is very smart and capable of doing some great things because of his intelligence, ego and complete lack of self doubt.... but he just doesn't really give a **** about people.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The primary problem is that Tune sucks and he's been our QB for the entirety of Holgo's tenure and even half a season prior.

It's on Dana to bring in a transfer who can actually throw the ball more than 5 yards down field, especially after 18 games worth of data to look at.

[​IMG]

We have 6 (SIX!) QBs on the roster and we're somehow in this spot. It makes no sense.

There's no reason we shouldn't beat Tech any given year, but there's no excuse for getting outscored 31-0 in the second half.

#40 DonnyMost, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Poloshirtbandit likes this.