1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hyper Sensitive News] NYC Spanish Teacher Fired For Using 'Negro'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, May 24, 2013.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Imagine if she would've used '*****rdly' in a sentence.

Seriously. there is no uniform word in the Spanish speaking world that has the same weight that '******' has in the English speaking world. Each of the 21 different countries might have a colloquial word/saying but nothing uniform. Negro = Black, Blanco = White, Rojo = Red.

Sometimes, depending on the country, context & tone 'negro' can take on a negative connotation.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Pronounciation is also key.

Maybe the teacher pronounced the "e" in the word with the short vowel sound, instead of the long vowel sound, causing everyone in the SPANISH classroom to be butthurt.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Who cares, it is the Bronx.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

No civilized society should use the word negro.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

He should have said norteamericano africano.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

negro por favor

1 person likes this.
  7. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

gracias, obama

8. Dei

Dei Member

You know "negro" actually means "black" in Spanish right?

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

The word "negro" and "black" shouldn't ever be used in a civilized society.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Depends how you pronounce it.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also isn't the term "negro" to refer those of African descent not consider offensive or dated in some Latin American countries?

In my Judo class we had a student from Brazil who one day wore a shirt that said "100% Negro" we had to tell her that here in America some might take offense to it.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

hhhmmm. . . white kid goes off on a teacher. . . AUTOMATICALLY HAIL HIM AS THE SAVIOR AND VOICE OF THE MODERN FRUSTRATED STUDENT

Minority Kid makes claims against a teacher . .. AUTOMATICALLY BELIEVE THEY LYING AND THE TEACHER IS RIGHT!!!

Only in America

Rocket River
    Why exactly do you ask the 'students that failed the test to go to the back of the classroom"?
    In Fact, In school I remember that our grades were not suppose to be known to other students.

1 person likes this.
  13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

As a teacher, I was asking that same exact question after reading the article. All she did was single out everyone that failed the test and subject them to teasing from their classmates.

Never do something like that... ever.

14. supdudes

supdudes Member

You're joking right?

What's wrong with black? Black things are beautiful. Black people are beautiful.

There's nothing offensive about calling someone black.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I must have missed in the article where it said the reporting student was white. Also, I read in the article that the teacher actually agreed with what the student apparently reported, so the report must be accurate.

That being said, no reason to fire the teacher, and, if they did fire the teacher for using the term negro, all of the students who belittled her using much more offensive terms should be expelled.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He was talking about the video of the dumb white kid with long hair trying to pull a slow clap from the classroom.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Negro", for example, in Portuguese, refers to "black" when you're talking about a living, breathing, sentient thing. A black swan, a black cat; negro is the adjective defining its color. A black person is a negro or negra. ("Preto" is black in the sense of color of inanimate objects, and is pejorative when used for a person.)

Someone help me on this. I admit my Spanish is a weak second to my Portuguese, but isn't the word for a black person also, simply, negro? "El negro está un poco demasiado 'politically correct', huey."?

I think it's the case of self-censoring because people are relating the two words, Spanish being so closely tied in to the U.S. now.

On a side note, in my life, for whatever reason, some of the most racist toward black people have been people from Mexico and El Salvador. I mean, damn! I think they see me, tall white guy, and assume I'll agree with their use of the term "n----r". Really floors me.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZpdPTN4bmL0#t=0m17s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, negro in Spanish can refer to the color black or a black person just like the word black in English.

20. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

She is Spanish so...