1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HuffPo: Obamacare rollout has been a complete disaster.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Oct 18, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Even HuffPo agrees

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/18/obamacare-train-wreck_n_4118041.html

Obamacare Website Failure Threatens Health Coverage For Millions Of Americans

Posted: 10/18/2013 7:43 am EDT | Updated: 10/18/2013 12:21 pm EDT

A broken website imperils the largest expansion of the American safety net since the Great Society.

More than two weeks into the disastrous rollout of HealthCare.gov, the website created by President Barack Obama's health care reform law still isn't working right.

"The website that was supposed to do this all in a seamless way has had way more glitches than I think are acceptable," Obama said during a Tuesday interview with KCCI television in Des Moines, Iowa. But the administration won't disclose exactly what's wrong with the health insurance exchange website, or when consumers can expect to see the promise of convenient, one-stop shopping for health benefits and financial assistance fulfilled.

Time remains for these problems to be resolved, but not much. "If things aren't resolved in three weeks, we've got some serious, serious problems," said Timothy Jost, a law professor and health care reform expert at Washington & Lee University in Lexington, Va., and an Obamacare supporter. "I don't think we're anywhere close to there yet, but if the whole thing collapses, it'll be another generation before we get this problem fixed."

The stakes are high for uninsured people, individuals and families who buy their health insurance directly and the entire health care industry. Without a functioning health insurance exchange, many people too sick or too poor to get health insurance under the old rules will remain shut out of the system. The millions of Americans who already buy their own insurance will face major disruptions. Health insurance companies could experience a nightmare scenario where the bulk of the individuals who brave the frustrating sign-up process are those who are sick, desperate for coverage and expensive to treat.

And anyone who isn't able to get coverage because of the exchanges' problems could confront the prospect of tax penalties through no fault of their own.

For Obama and the Democrats who've stood behind Obamacare during four years of relentless attacks from Republicans -- including a face-off that led to a 16-day government shutdown and a threat of U.S. default -- failure of this magnitude would discredit a core premise of this presidency, that government can do big things to improve Americans' lives.

2. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

HuffPo...biased media said by who?

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Doesn't thus stuff gets thoroughly tested before going live? That's embarrassing to say the least. Better get that chit together.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Probably some wingnut hackers trying to gum up the works and crash the site.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is true that the Federal government website rollout has been disastrous and it looks like they failed to do proper testing on it before it was done. Some of the state exchanges though have gone pretty smoothly though for example the Minnesota one appears to be working well.

6. Major

Major Member

I think it would be worth the Feds looking at all the state sites, see which works best, and simply asking to buy it and use it out for other states. Hopefully it wouldn't be too terribly hard to switch out the plans and make other smaller changes.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

The source code is crap. I read a story the other day talking about how the Canadian company contracted to write the code is having trouble keeping existing contracts due to their shoddy work.

Code monkey forums online have been going thru the source code and are pretty much shocked at the mistakes being made and at the thought they didn't bother to beta test it before going live.

Usual government incompetence rears its ugly head.:rolleyes:

Personally, we have had no problem getting signed up and using the site, but we didn't even try till several days after it went live.

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Dang R2k, this only gives more ammunition to the wingnuts to undermine the ACA. The way I see it, it will be at least a year before we know this whole thing works. The ACA will either be ultimately successful or Obama's Achilles heel.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

CHANGE THE SUBJECT!!!

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'd rather they b****ed about something real than keep making crap up all the time.:rolleyes:

Besides, I don't particularly care who it gives ammo to, it is yet another example of them wasting our time and money because they can't be bothered to do things the right way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for the ACA, but for purely selfish reasons.

I haven't been able to afford insurance for most of my life and as a 1099 contractor for most of my working career, I have not had the luxury of company supplied insurance. From what we can tell so far, this law should finally make it affordable for me.....and really, that is all that matters to me.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

That's all right, man. Life is not a Hollywood happy ending movie, so altruistic reasons be damned.

12. TheresTheDagger

Hey Hakeem... (like the name)

Since you believe it will be a year before the whole thing works, doesn't it make sense to suspend the individual mandate for 1 year?

Doesn't mean Obamacare isn't running. Just make it optional and not mandatory during this whole for you and I to sign up.

13. KingCheetah

Recently, major video games SimCity, Diablo, and GTA5 had serious online problems -- those are massive computer companies who understand demand vs. server output.

All we know at this point is that ACA is very popular.

14. TheresTheDagger

I'm gonna have to ask you to provide some proof of that. From everything I've read/heard since the beginning, this has been very unpopular.

Heck, even one of the authors of the bill (Senator Max Baucus D-MT) warned SIX MONTHS ago he saw a "huge train wreck" coming and asked Sebelius what was being done. Apparently, nothing.

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatc...-huge-train-wreck-in-obamacare-implementation

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

No, I meant to say we will have to wait about a year before we know how successful (or not) the ACA will be.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

KungCheetah - I agree with the esteemed homme above. I recently downloaded SimCity onto my c64 emulator and experienced no such problems . The sprites were nice and angular as God and Gates intended.

1 person likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

C64... so good...

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Simple solution, let individuals buy from other state exchanges that are working. Increase competition.

19. Major

Major Member

That's not what he said - he said we won't know for a year if the whole things works. In other words, if it's really making an impact on health care - not the website itself.

That said, they really have about 2 months to get this working. Health care plans on the exchanges don't go live until January 1 anyway, so a delay not is not ideal, but not too damaging. However, if it's still not working in December, you've got a real problem and have to make accomodations. If it's not working in January, you have to start delaying the mandate because you can't mandate something be purchased if people can't purchase it.

So nothing major now, but there has to be a lot of progress in the next 4-6 weeks. That said, the site works better today than it did 2 weeks ago, so they've made at least some progress, though it's fairly badly designed regardless. I'm going to check out some of the state websites tomorrow and see how they are done - as I noted earlier, the Feds' simplest solution might be to buy one of those and adapt it for other states.

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Poor testing before the rollout.

People seem to be trying to use this as an indication that the ACA as a whole is bad. That's just stupid.