1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How Would You Treat Yao Ming if US and China were in a military conflict over Taiwan

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by jxu777, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is that really all France has done? What about all the protests comparing Bush to a Nazi and the smashing of American "symbols" like McDonald's.

It's funny that you thik that there is more hatred coming from our side. Maybe you don't remember that best- selling French book which claimed that the 9/11 attacks were an American and Israeli conspiracy?

2. Mr. Clutch

Macbeth, why do you put up these dumb straw men. No one is saying that someone who disagrees with the USA is a USA hater. But if it makes you feel better to make bogus arguments, then by all means continue.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would treat him like any of the Rockets. I hope others would do the same. Let's hope it's never an issue. That's a nightmare scenario.

4. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

No one is saying that someone who disagrees with the USA is a USA hater!?!?! Are you serious? Have you heard about our response to France's disagreement with us?

5. Mr. Clutch

Give me a break. France did not have a principled disagreement. It has been well reported that many of their motivations had to do with their role in the world and politics. Oh yeah, and don't forget the general anti-American sentiment running rampant through that country.

There are plenty of other countries that have disagreed with us, but our anger is focused on the unprincipled position of France.

6. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

LOL! Thanks for proving my point...

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It wouldn't make him insane irrelevent or a U.S.A hater. It might mean I disagree with him politically.

My own stance on such a war isn't decided yet. A lot would depend on the circumstances surrounding the hypothetical war.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The McDonalds was smashed long after the Freedom Fries and people smashing French bottles of wine here. I'm currently in Portland right now, and some demonstrators smashed the windows of McDonalds here. I don't hate Americans for it though.

That book was also written by a citizen, and the Stance of the French govt. isn't based on that book.

Of course there are xenophobic books by Pat Buchannon that were written by an American here, but that doesn't mean America did something bad to other countries. Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and others have books full of ridiculous theories, but I hope nobody judges our whole country based on those books, or at people stupid enough to think that calling French Fries "Freedom Fries", boycotting Le MAdeleine or dropping out of their French classes. They disagreed and some ignorant people can't tolerate any disagreement. Sure the French were pains by the way they did it, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

kind of irrelevant. Why would you bring this up?

I would disagree with Yao's political thoughts...(communism)

but not hold anything against him unless he has something to do with it. War.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What's Yao's stance on this war? I'm just curious since China was with France and Germany. So if Yao said that he thought this war was unjust blah, blah, etc., would people boycott Apple, American Express, Yang Jing beer, the Rockets, the NBA, Pulltab for writing a song that celebrates Yao, etc...

Also, what was the timetable for this war. I'm not sure, but we were building things up the whole time that we brought this up to the UN. I imagine that in that time span we had to plan, gather intelligence, move our forces into position, talk to Iraq's neighbors like Turkey. Anyways, did the French really hinder us? I'm asking seriously.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think France only hindered us in the UN. Personally I'm not for hating someone or boycotting anything with that country's name because they have a different opinion.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Attacks against French Cleaners shame us all
    There will always be idiots who will do some form of harassment just to be patriotic and make themselves feel like they're doing something.

But it is the majority who let these hateful acts pass without attention that are the ones who are going to determine how our country looks. Those who disagree with the hate crimes might look the other way because they are the ones too afraid or ashamed to speak out against their own people in fear of looking like a "traitor" or "unpatriotic".

It happened with the Japanese and it is still happening with Arab looking people.

One impression that a minority carries about the obstensibly White American society is that you're friend today and possibly an enemy tommorow. Because in times of crisis, that is when our true colors are revealed.

13. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

it's been reported in the Chinese media that when asked about the war, he said something to the effect "everybody wants peace. war should be only used as a last resort." He didn't actually say whether he supports the USA to go to war or not(at the time of interview, the war hadn't begun). I think that's sensible although I'd prefer him to say something like "I don't want to talk about politics. Let's talk about basketball". Yao's a smart guy. I think he'll always say the right thing that won't offend US people even if it means it's not his real opinion.

as for the senario proposed by the thread starter, I think Yao will stay if summoned by the Chinese government. I highly doubt the Chinese government will pull back Yao, though. He may be considered as a traitor for a while. but he'll be forgiven when all is said and done. just look at some former USSR pros in the US.

14. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

I doubt it will get into this situation (I mean war between US and China). At least that's what I hope so.

15. Iceberger

Iceberger Member

"Because in times of crisis, that is when our true colors are revealed."

100% agree with you on this. More, it's highly unlikely that a major war breaks out between U.S. and China. it's true that some people in Taiwan want Independence, and some idiots in Both of U.S. and China want to see that happen too for their own interests. But, again. neither American people nor Chinese people can benefit from it. We all suffer to certain degree. The thing is that all problems and issues between Taiwan and China can be resolved peacefully if U.S. wants to. Period.

16. Mr. Clutch

Macbeth, if you are just going to be condascending then you arent going to convince anybody. I was only giving a critical opinion of France. You have done the same about the US numerous times. There is no need for silly comments.

17. Buzz1023

Buzz1023 Member

Here's a spin on the question: How would you treat Chinese-Americans if the US and China were in a military conflict over Taiwan? I ask this because of the incident involving Japanese-Americans during WWII and how some anti-french sentiments here are taken to the extreme.

18. chinawang

chinawang Member

It is wise for American not to do this!
    otherwise, No.3 world war occurs.

19. Buzz1023

Buzz1023 Member

Well WWIII would only occur if other nations are pulled into the war. Otherwise, it would not be a WW, just a war between two countries.

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

See. the thing is that it would prolly only take 4 or 5 nukes to go off where the pollution level would be high enough that most ppl would be affected. If U.S. and China goes to war, imagine much more than 4 or 5 nukes going off, it wouldn't take a world war to destroy the world these days. Heck, the bombs that went of in Japan isn't even close to the nukes of today and look at all the things that happened.