1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Would You Treat Yao Ming if US and China were in a military conflict over Taiwan

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by jxu777, Mar 21, 2003.

1. jxu777

jxu777 Contributing Member

This is not a science fiction. Here are some simple facts:

1. Taiwan wants to declare independence;
    2. China will use military if (1) actually happens;
    3. US will likely come to defend Taiwan if (2) happens.

I am not interested in political or military aspects of this scenario. I am only interested in how you, as the Rockets fans and the local community, would treat Yao Ming.

I was very relieved by the way the Dallas community treat Wang Zhi Zhi when the air collision event happened in January 2001. People were able to separate the sports from the political incident half globe away.

But, A military conflict over Taiwan would be a whole different story. How would you treat Yao Ming under that scenario?

2. ewfd

ewfd Member

I don't give a damn, as long as he gets us into the playoffs.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I don't think the Chinese government would allow Yao to be here if there were a war over Taiwan.

I'm sure some ignorant people would lash out at all Chinese if this situation were to occur, but the more intelligent would realize that Yao isn't calling the shots in Chinese politics and they would treat him with respect.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yao Ming would in all likelihood go back to China if a war broke out so it's a moot point how anyone would treat him. If he stayed, then it would probably depend on his actions how I treated him. If he started dissing America, then I wouldn't plan on treating him well. How would he even know? I wouldn't approach him and say anything. I just may not clap during his play and not buy his t-shirt or something.

Yao Ming doesn't represent the government of China. He is not their foreign spokesperson. His actions dictate how he deserves to be treated. Nothing else.

5. ewfd

ewfd Member

Yao would probably make the Chinese government kiss his ass if they tried to pull him from here..

6. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

I never blame the people of a particular country for what their government does. I wish other countries did the same for us.

I would cheer for Yao just as much no matter what the situation was.

One question, though:

Would China force him to go home if there was a situation between China and the US?

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

jxu....i don't think any americans would give a crap. they already love yao and that kind of situation wouldn't change that. i mean overall americans are pretty nice people, so its not like political stuff that has nothing to do with you is going to change their opinion of you.

8. Timing

Timing Member

Let's be honest, he'd get a lot of glares and might even become a target for harrassment. That's reality.

9. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Well this conflict won't be brought up anytime soon.....unless you want two wars at the same time. :(

Yao would probably have to return to China. :(

10. treeman

treeman Member

Why would anyone treat him differently? As far as I can tell he's a really nice guy, and I doubt that a conflict between the Chinese and US governments would change that? :confused:

11. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

I don't think it is only other countries that mix the politics of a country with the people of the country. Unfortunately the people of the US do that all the time. The last incident in Kingswood is a example.

I wish more people had your view and realized that the actions of an government does not necessarily reflect the views of that country's people.

12. sinohero

sinohero Member

When that happens, Yao should talk to Vlade Divac and stay in America.

Not that the war's ever likely though.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I think it depends on Yao. He may be very loyal to his country/government and if he is that could cause problems. I think Yao would determine what the reaction is.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm sure that lady that had her garage door sprayed is a really nice lady too. I would act differently to someone because of where they're from, but there are those that will.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That should have "I wouldn't treat anyone different because of where they're from..."

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Very speculative, unlikely scenario, but...ok...some idiots might have a problem with Yao, the great majority of Americans would not and he (and other Chinese nationals) would be defended in the media.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No, that is not reality. What is up with your constant American bashing? Do you think we're all a bunch of rednecks who will start acting irrationally whenever something political happens? I have to wonder if you even live in this country, which is the most racially diverse country in the world, and people of all races get along pretty darn well, especially Chinese people.

Not only that, but it's just defies logic to say that people will give a famous 7 foor 5 NBA player evil looks. Normally people would ask a superstar athelete for his autograph. But I guess if you want to bash America, go ahead and suspend all logic.

18. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I dont treat any of my Arab friends different nor would I treat him different....You see, in this country we have this right to express our opinions without having to worry about it. I hear different views from friends and some agree and some disagree with the US removing Saddam or going into Afghanistan. We have that freedom.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone could say for sure until it happened. Primarily because leading up to it, the U.S. would start a propoganda campaign to gain support for the military action. There would be details of countless Chinese human rights violations, the way that Chinese don't want democracy, and all that stuff. It would make some people very angry and probably would change they way they believed.

Look at what some people's reaction to France has been, and we aren't even at war with them. All they've done so far is disagree with the U.S.'s war. Sure they were kind of pain in the way they've done it, but now all of a sudden there's a huge anti-French feeling among many Americans. Once the propoganda starts rolling more than likely people will change the way they feel.

20. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

But wouldn't you feel torn if Yao agreed with China rather than us? I mean, would that make him insane,irrelevet, or just another USA hater?