1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much is Dwight worth to the Rockets if the NBA implements Hack-A penalties?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 23, 2016.

?

How much is Dwight worth to the Rockets per season in2016-2017?

1. $20-$25m

6.0%
  2. $15-20m per season

33.0%
  3. $10-15m per season

39.0%
  4. Less than $10m per season

17.0%
  5. Minimum or less

5.0%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Let's say teams are penalized enough for the strategy to be worthless and we get a coach who knows how to use Howard and knows how to get his head focused for regular season and playoffs. For example, JVG speaks highly of what Howard still can do and what would be the best way to use him.

At the same time, nothing is going to change the fact that Dwight lacks the agility to guard perimeter players and it seems like we'll be seeing more of that in the NBA's future rather than less. His health has been great this season, but can it hold up? Can he get over the narrative that media and fans are making up about his relationship with Harden?

Also consider realistically for one second that the chances of us getting Durant or Horford or Conley or any big name FA is low. There are lots of teams with cap space this summer, the home teams can offer a lot more and our players/mgmt have performed worse than easily 20-25 teams compared to expectations.

How much is Dwight worth to the Rockets?

#1 Mathloom, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

any defensive and rebounding center that can start and avg a double double is never gonna be cheap. 10-15m. you see what tyson got and he had a down year. since this will be his last big contract should be closer to 15m per

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well...damn...if this happens over this off-season, then it feels like the NBA is out to screw the Rockets yet again with the timing. They know Howard is likely leaving for another team. I wonder if Cuban is behind this before he signs Dwight. This is really only an issue because of Howard. Yea...lets do it now that Dwight is ready to leave the Rockets.

Who's behind this conspiracy? Where is Mulder and Scully at?

#3 Surfguy, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Howard can still play at DeAndre Jordan's level. The question is, is he willing to play that role and can he be focused enough for the whole season. Not to mention the concern about his health.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have no idea what Dwight's expectations are about his role on any team

Rocket River

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He can't play at Jordan's level. Jordan is in his physical prime and can still jump and move.

Dwight is more skilled but as of right now I don't think it's close as to who is the more valuable player in the NBA. I think every GM would pick Jordan over dwight even for just one series. Not to mention he plays his role and doesn't want to do anything other than rebound defend and roll to the hoop for dunks.

7. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Actually in the case for the rockets, hacking Dwight doesn't really have much to do with Dwight anymore and has more to do with getting the ball out of hardens hands. I honestly can't really remember an instance where it was because Dwight was too dominant to stop

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

League just goes back to hacking him before a layup, he's a 50% FT shooter new rules or old.

9. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

This is a good topic.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dwight still does really stupid stuff that can't offset that. He plays with no interest and heart way too often/

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is sad. the entire game of basketball shouldn't be punished because a few dudes can't shoot free throws.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The response is actually more optimistic than I thought. I would happily give him 18 IF he likes the new coach and the new coach likes him.

However, I'd be weary of giving him more than 2 guaranteed years, I doubt the market for him is higher than that, and if Cuban wants to outspend that to get him I would be happy for them to swallow that contract.

It would absolutely have to be a declining scale contract.

Drummond and Jordan are going to be monsters though if they come into next season lighter and quicker.

13. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

centers dont deserve max dollars

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Dwert still has no offensive game .... sets bad screens and doesn't really care to run the pnr .... He makes everyone else easier to defend on that end and has fallen off defensively.

I wouldn't give him $10m per under the current cap , next years cap that's about the max I'd give him.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What? Howard is definitely on the decline. DeAndre is a younger version of Howard.

16. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Howard at DeAndre Jordan level!? :eek:

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe a younger version of current Howard, but is nowhere near Howard's level when Howard was his age.

18. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Someone or some idiot team will pay him the max.