1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many deaths are acceptable to save the Economy?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mr.Scarface, May 5, 2020.

?

How many deaths are acceptable to open up the Economy?

Poll closed May 12, 2020.
  1. 100,000

6.3%
  2. 250000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 500000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1000000+

18.8%
  5. There have been too many already!

75.0%
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Shietttt, you put 100k up there? We'll hit that # regardless of what we do. Easy pick. I'll make that deal, sir.

Sanctity likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Where's "If you pay me five million bucks, I'll say anything."

Sorry Gran, I'll buy you a respirator...if you don't disown me.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Culture of life... If we talk about sanctimonious many of those same people who were railing about "Death Panels" and talking about a culture of life from conception to grave are now not just fine but insisting that we allow many to die for economic reasons.

4. raining threes

Unless they're the N-95 masks they dont work for more than 20 mins. Medical professional on the front line told me this.

Believe me if you wish, or do some research. Ever wonder why when the pandemic 1st struck the govt told us we didn't need to wear masks and then changed course?

5. raining threes

The numbers that have been put out by the CDC have been grossly inaccurate from the jump. That makes citizens not trust what the govt is telling them and they're ready to get back to a normal way of life.

6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Whatever the population is times 99%

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

About the # of dead caused by the flu. Much bigger than that and the economy turns south. You can reopen all you want and even force ppl to choose between zero gov benefits or working, the economy will still be sh*t if you don't solve the national health crisis. Maybe you can wish it away and convince enough Americans that it's just going to vanish tomorrow... or, the Jan/Feb playbook. Good Luck, the people and the Economy need it with that strategy.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is your mother living? Your father? You grandmother? Your grandfather?

Nook likes this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

I have 1 grandparent in a facility and yes, my parents are alive.

#29 HTM, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If they get the virus and, heaven forbid, die, will you feel the same way?

11. Buck Turgidson

The Spanish flu?

12. HTM

HTM Member

Feel what way?

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

culture of greed, hate, selfishness, and hypocricy

Rocket River and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Which way do you think I mean?

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

Had the WPE listened to the people that knew how to handle this the economy would have been just fine but we have a unhinged leader that only cares about himself.

vlaurelio likes this.
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

if we only had a true leader and not a backup

edwardc likes this.
  17. edwardc

edwardc Member

More like a 4th stringer he is just not a good dude.

FrontRunner and vlaurelio like this.
  18. HTM

HTM Member

How do people feel every year when a loved one dies of an infectious disease? I imagine they feel pretty bad about it.

Could those deaths have been prevented if we all socially distanced as a rule always and wore ppe ubiquitously? Yes, there would be less infectious disease deaths every year if we did.

As a society, a certain number of people die every year of infectious diseases because of how we have decided to interact.

We could live like we've been living the last six weeks permanently and less people would die annually of infectious diseases. It would come at a different cost though.

There is an annual cost associated with how we live regarding people dying of infectious diseases. This year, obviously, it will be worse then most but to act like it wasn't true in 2019 is nonsense. People died in 2019 because we didn't socially distance and because we didn't wear PPE. That's a fact. The million dollar question is what price is acceptable.

I think people should be prudent, calculated and reasonable in the midst of pandemic but when the sanctimonious claim some are costing other people their lives. I think it's apt to point out that, based on our decisions as a collective, we cost people their lives every single year because we don't socially distance and we don't wear PPE. That's apparently, an acceptable amount of deaths. I think the sanctimonious fail to recognize that.

King1 and JuanValdez like this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The numbers put out by the POTUS have been grossly inaccurate from the jump. And now he wants to relax the mitigations.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The internet is about two things: humor and sanctimony. With apologies, you yourself seem to express moral superiority to those you criticize, no? That's the definition of sanctimony.

The big difference about the current outbreak and business-as-usual (where, yes, people die of infectious disease, almost always via complications leading to pneumonia, etc) boils down to this: we at least know how to treat and fight these other things. Very, very few healthy 45 year olds just walk around in your average year and end up dead of influenza or the common cold after a couple of horrific weeks on a ventilator. So, it is qualitatively different. It is scaring people because so much is still unknown.

On thread topic, I actually agree with you to some extent. We have to find a way to coexist with this horrible virus b/c it is damned near everywhere now, and at least in America, we simply lack the infrastructure and will to test and trace it accurately. It's looking like most Americans will "accept" 250,000-350,000 deaths along with some way forward that allows the economy to limp along a little better, versus 100,000-150,000 (which we'll definitely have anyway) with even more catastrophic job losses.

It would definitely help if we had a functional federal government right now, one that shot straight and acted in the clear public interest, but we just do not have that, at all. So we have to do what we can via local governments, coexist with the virus, support our PTSD-suffering medical workers the best we can, and make sure we vote for competent, intelligent people at all levels of government anytime we have the chance.

No Worries and Nook like this.