1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long should a GM get?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Beard, Jul 14, 2014.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think NFL is a little different though, easily the most popular sport, but it's once a week. Baseball is pretty much every day. Do think that matters when it comes to following individual players.

Obviously basketball fits in the middle somewhere. But it's still a sport that when following, you can watch those players 82 times instead of 16 (well, I guess some can but that's a whole nuther discussion)

2. houtown

houtown Member

Morey has been doing a good job so far. I dont think the rockets need another gm. Once he gets over mchale or builds around him in the coaching staff, if ever, then i think progress will shown. I would like to see mchale pick up a tech once in a while also. He is to freindly, the george bush of the rockets.

3. The Beard

Well, if McHale is a problem, that falls back on Morey. This discussion is about the length of time a GM should get to show results. Picking the right coach is part of his job, it's not just building the roster (although that is obviously the biggest part)

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Only real scenario:
    Any major injury to Dwight or Harden could cause this upcoming season to tail spin...and to top that...no 2015 draft pick...which goes to Lakers...if that pick becomes a high/lottery pick...DMorey will be fired. Guaranteed.

5. Possum

Possum Member

That's ridiculous.

6. The Beard

Les wouldn't fire him if it fell apart because of injury. If that was the case he wouldn't have made it through the Yao and Tmac years

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Morey's on the 15 year plan.

8. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

You can list many of good moves, and bad moves with players, but at the end of the day, the only thing matters is the results. You don't have to win a title, most of the teams never did, but you need to show the progress, and give people hope.

If this team cannot get pass 1st, and/or 2nd round of playoff in the next two years, I don't think too many people here still want him to stay.

As his selection of coaches, that's a total disaster.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The most important point brought up is that if you fire him you better have someone better and I can't imagine who that would be. Not that many different teams win championships, it's better to go in strong and be bold, particularly when a stud #1 isn't an option.

10. Remii

Remii Member

I think the clock should start (or started) on Morey when the Yao and Tracy era ended. It's not like he took over this team with a clean slate like Sam has in Philly. It's hard to say how long a GM should get before they show results, situations can be different.

The question should be how much longer should Morey get...???

11. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

At the end of the day, Morey is one of the best GMs in the business and our talent evaluation staff is second to none...Regardless of how many mistakes he makes, his job is secure. He went from a core of players including Hayes Scola etc to landing D12 and Harden. This can NOT be overstated. We were going nowhere and without his brilliance, I sincerely think we would have still been a middle of the pack meddling team without a bright future. Even though we are not the most attractive destination for free agents, yet Morey has gotten us TWO elite players as well as several very solid rotational players FOR CHEAP minimum salaries (several were even non-guaranteed).

We will round out the bench this off season using only short term deals and keep flexibility for the upcoming off season. This will allow us a solid chance at winning it this year (if we can land some solid players to come off the bench), and next off season, there are many more max caliber/elite free agents to lure to Houston. All it takes is one and we will be instant title contenders.

In the end, I believe in the strategy/plan Morey has set out for the team (and I am sure Les does too), and regardless of the results, he is doing one hell of a job. If championships were the only measure for the success of a GM, we would only have 4-5 GMs in the league...

12. The Beard

This is the crux of why I started this thread in the first place I suppose.

If the individual moves look good, is that enough to overlook a lack of results.

Again, i'm not saying fire him. Not saying there are better options sitting at the door.

Just wondering what the general consensus is.

I like Morey, and I like most of his moves....but at some point, i'd like some actual results other than "good moves"

13. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Already been to long

14. CertifiedTroll

Blood in blood out. Htown 2 trill for no p***y footing at gm.

15. Airdough

Airdough Member

Every GM makes mistakes. If we are saying that Daryl Morey should be on the hot seat, then Billy Beane should have been run out of Oakland a long time ago (only one playoff series win in his tenure). At the end of the day, only one NBA team gets to end their season in victory.

Let the process play out. If he was good enough to get the Rockets to this point, then he's good enough to see the team through one bad weekend (in the offseason, before any games have been played).

16. fattz

fattz Member

16 wait till next year

(all in fun he does a really good jod)

17. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

At what?

18. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Once he kept that dumb a** coach, I knew he was stupid

19. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

Well, he was a major factor in luring Howard to Houston and could potentially be a major factor in bringing Love or another elite player here as well. Players love playing for him for some reason, and if they will come to play for him, then his incompetence will have to be worked around by having top notch assistant coaches. We won't get rid of him if the elite players want to come here and play for him, it's really that simple.

20. do work son

do work son Member

it really varies. there's no timetable. i'm against axing a GM if they're making some progress. so long as they're not running everything into the ground. stability wins.