1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long should a GM get?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Beard, Jul 14, 2014.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would tend to agree with that kind of thinking if it were year 5 or 6. I do think at some point, results do matter though

And for the record, i'm not saying I think Morey should be fired

2. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

An owner not afraid to spend $$$ w/ 2 championship under his belt vs A GM with a gambling problem who doesn't know when to stop

Les>

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

When his negative moves start to outweigh the positive.

We are not there just yet.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Is he? He's making a big stack of maybes that won't necessarily amount to anything, as far as winning titles go.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

But how can the results be better, really? We're in a city not many want to play in and have stars not many want to play alongside with. You can only set yourself up to have the money available and make your pitch, and we have. I think we see NY, Miami, LA, and we want to blame it on the team doing something wrong, but maybe it's just the city.

Not the best example, but it's like saying Pop should be replaced with someone who can actually help the Spurs defend a title. As good as they are they haven't exactly attracted a lot of interest from big names. San Antonio isn't for everyone. They tend to only keep the really nice humble guys. Perhaps, once their reign ends, some of those guys will want to come here instead.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Brian Colangelo got 7 years with the Raps and he won 2 Exec of the Year awards. Morey is over rated, if the Rox regress this season and fail to make the playoffs you fire both him and McHale.

7. The Beard

Wonder what the longest a GM has ever gone, with one team, before winning his first title with that team?

8. Major

Major Member

The goal is actually entertaining. Fans pay to be entertained - obviously, the ultimate goal is to win a title, but most don't do that, so being consistently competitive and giving your fans the excitement of the playoffs and all that is a big part of it too.

Look at the Marlins vs Astros from 1995-2005. Marlins won two titles, but their fans were miserable most of the time. The team never retained players and never connected with fans. They were terrible for most of the decade and many seasons were just wasted where no one paid attention.

Meanwhile, the city fell in love with the Astros. The team had a whole array of icons and fan favorites and developed an extremely loyal fan base. They won nothing, but I'd bet most fans got a whole lot more entertainment and happiness from following the Astros for those 10 years than the Marlins.

9. The Beard

Another problem I see with his approach

How many players on our team do you think are 100% bought in to being a Houston Rocket?

Outside of Harden and Howard, everyone has to feel like a small asset that could be moved at any moment

I know that is part of sports, but I think it is a lot more of an issue under Morey. It's cool that he is pretty open with the fan base, but not sure how many times players like to hear that they aren't a major piece to a champion

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Paging "the real mastermind" Sam Hinkie!

Sam Hinkie hired May 14, 2013

Since:

June 27, 2013: Selected Isaiah Canaan (2nd round, 34th pick) in the 2013 NBA Draft.

June 30, 2013: Waived Carlos Delfino

June 30, 2013: Waived Aaron Brooks

July 10, 2013: Traded Thomas Robinson to the Portland Trail Blazers for Kostas Papanikolau, Mirko Todorovic, a future 2nd round draft pick and a future 2nd round draft pick.

July 13, 2013: Signed Dwight Howard as a free agent.

July 13, 2013: Traded Royce White, cash and Furkan Aldemir to the Philadelphia 76ers for a future draft pick.

July 13, 2013: Waived James Anderson

July 13, 2013: Waived Tim Ohlbrecht

July 15, 2013: Signed Isaiah Canaan

July 15, 2013: Signed B.J. Young as a free agent.

July 15, 2013: Signed Robert Covington as a free agent.

July 16, 2013: Signed Omri Casspi as a free agent.

July 19, 2013: Signed Reggie Williams as a free agent.

July 19, 2013: Signed Aaron Brooks as a free agent.

July 29, 2013: Signed Marcus Camby as a free agent.

August 1, 2013: Re-signed Francisco Garcia

August 2, 2013: Signed Jordan Henriquez as a free agent.

August 28, 2013: Signed Ronnie Brewer as a free agent.

October 1, 2013: Waived B.J. Young

October 4, 2013: Waived Jordan Henriquez

October 17, 2013: Signed Troy Daniels as a free agent.

October 26, 2013: Waived Troy Daniels

October 28, 2013: Waived Reggie Williams and Marcus Camby

February 20, 2014: Traded Aaron Brooks to the Denver Nuggets for Jordan Hamilton.

February 21, 2014: Waived Ronnie Brewer

February 21, 2014: Signed Troy Daniels

April 10, 2014: Signed Dexter Pittman to a contract for the rest of the season.

April 10, 2014: Waived Greg Smith

April 16, 2014: Signed Josh Powell as a free agent.

April 16, 2014: Waived Dexter Pittman

**June 25, 2014: Traded Omer Asik and cash to the New Orleans Pelicans for a 2015 1st round draft pick.

June 26, 2014: Selected Clint Capela (1st round, 25th pick) and Nick Johnson (2nd round, 42nd pick) in the 2014 NBA Draft.

June 26, 2014: Traded cash to the Minnesota Timberwolves for the rights to Alessandro Gentile.

June 30, 2014: Declined team option on Chandler Parsons

June 30, 2014: Declined team option on Troy Daniels

July 10, 2014: Chandler Parsons agrees to a 3 year $46 million offer sheet with Dallas

July 13, 2014: Traded Jeremy Lin, a 2015 1st round draft pick and a 2015 2nd round pick for the draft rights to center Sergei Lishchuk.

July 13, 2014: Declined to match Chandler Parsons' 3-year $46 million offer sheet

**July 13, 2014: As part of a 3-team trade, New Orleans traded Melvin Ely to Washington; Washington traded Trevor Ariza to Houston; Houston traded Omer Asik, $1.5 million and Omri Casspi to New Orleans; New Orleans traded 2015 1st round pick and Alonzo Gee to Houston

**July 13, 2014: Acquired Trevor Ariza via sign and trade with Washington; $8.5 trade exception to Washington

July 14, 2013: Re-signed restricted free agent Troy Daniels.

11. The Beard

Great post

Following those Astros is one of my best memories as a sports fan. Not sure we will ever have times like that again with current leadership of either Astros or Rockets

12. fattz

fattz Member

so true...

all the years of next year... when is next year?

(Hayes as the starting center for 2 seasons, Scola's contract then he is waived because of it, then the lack of a PF still to this day. Letting good/solid players walk over the options still no starting point today. Letting RicktheRuler go over personal issuse - still no real head coach today)

Every coin has two sides so I undersand most of this, it just a hard times to be a Rocket fan. I will always be a Rocket fan even if DD was the coach and Carl was the GM. I know we would "play harder" without "sticky ball" and Pat Patterson would/should be the fisrt option but the coach only calls Jordan Hill's number. All in all it is a good time to be a ī¼Rocket fan to see what will happen next. - smile when you fell like cring. Go ROX!

13. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

It would be fun if we fired him just to see what you guys think of the next guy, the old saying you don't realize what you have until you've lost it.

14. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

What else are you saying? That seems to be the only thing I can take from your statement. If what he is doing would be alright if it were year 5 or 6, and as you say at some point results matter, the only thing I can take from that is he doesn't have the results so he should be fired.

15. Possum

Possum Member

We were literally 1 hour away from having the most talented starting five in the entire NBA.

16. The Beard

Nope, you can take I how you want, maybe you are emotional or something over this

My question really was clear....at what point do a lot of "good moves" that don't add up to success, mean it's time to move on

I don't think we are at that point

But I AM at the point where just saying "in Morey we trust" doesn't have much value

Personally, I think the people who blindly support him AND the people who simply want him gone because of this offseason are both crazy

But there has to be a point where it just didn't work out. Not sure what that point is and wanted to hear others thoughts

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Unpopular opinion coming up-

For me, the clock on Morey's GM tenure started after last year's trade deadline and here's why:

1) Extenuating circumstances with Tmac, then Yao injuries
    2) Recovery time from 41 win team to 50+ win team was much better than tolerable for me considering examples of tanking teams for the last decade+
    3) 2 legitimate franchise players acquired as the base around which to build a team: length of time: 1 season.

I would give him 5 consecutive seasons without extenuating circumstances before souring completely on him.

However, if in the next few years we somehow lose either of Harden or Dwight Howard in free agency or our stars start complaining about wanting to be traded, that is no doubt a black mark against the GM's name, and I will call for his job.

As it stands, all is fine and well and his report card only reaches back to 2014 Jan/Feb trade deadline.

Specifically the trade deadline because we weren't able to sign useful free agents after signing Dwight last summer, but there is the possibility that trades could have been made to impact the team more than Aaron Brooks/Jordan Hamilton did.

18. liveguy

liveguy Member

He deserves as much flexibility as he can get.

He's earned a lot of flexibility.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I assume Les' contract extension for him, is his window of opportunity.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Interesting point. The NFL has so much turnover nowadays though and it still works. Marlins/Astros - solid case study though.