1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good would've the astros have been if...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets R' Us, Oct 12, 2000.

1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

How good do you guys think the Astros would've been if they had kept Kyle, Hampton, Halama, and Freddy Garcia? I read somewhere that we could've been serious world series contenders if we hadn't traded ,or let them get away by free agency , when they were small. I remember us trading Garica and Halama for big unit. And, I remember Hampy goin to NY to test free agency. How'd we let Darryl Kyle get away?

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros made a pretty fair offer to Kile but he decided to bolt to the Rockies. It was strictly for more money. It is hard to fault them for trading Halama and Garcia for Johnson. Keep in mind that Halama's ERA this year was over 5.00.

------------------

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

And the Astros were trying to be World Series Contenders right then when they made the Johnson trade. I don't know many people who thought the trade wouldn't put the Astros over the top. It didn't work out that way, but you don't have hindsight when making the deals.

And who knows, those guys could stink at Enron Field, too. We just don't know (Safeco is apparently more of a pitcher's park than a hitter's park).

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    DFW Sports Board

4. SpEnCeR

SpEnCeR Member

It seems everywhere I look there's former Astros kickin ass somewhere else! I know Garcia and Halama were reasonable trades but seeing Hampton and Kyle in the playoffs, both the aces of their clubs. Damn! Drayton needs to sell the team because he doesn't give a #$#% about winning. He just wants to make $. So #$*& him. I know this sounds harsh but I am sick of it. We give him a stadium and in return he gives us a pathetic ballclub.

------------------
    \| ||/
    ô¿ô
    -

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kile was a long time ago, the Astros won 2 division titles without him and it certainly wasn't pitching that hurt them in the playoffs. Hampton refused to negotiate with ANYONE so the Astros took their lumps and traded him. The Mets offered him a huge deal and he refused it. The Astros had no reason to expect their pitching to go totally south last year. Their projected rotation was:

Reynolds (usually 16 wins)
    Lima (37 wins the previous 2 years)
    Elarton (9-5 in 1999)
    Dotel (8-3 in 1999)
    Holt (great physical stuff, lousy mental stuff)

McLane has stepped up to the plate with Biggio and we'll see what he does with Bagwell. He made fair offers to both Kile and Johnson. Personally, I'll take one bad season every 4 years if the other 3 result in playoffs.

------------------

6. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

[This message has been edited by Dreamshake (edited October 13, 2000).]

7. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

How about if they didnt trade or allow these players to slip away through the last decade:

Louis Gonzalez
    Ricky Guitty (Cause what Im reading A Everett is at least 2 years aways)
    Carl Everett
    Curt Schilling
    Randy Johnson
    Mike Hampton
    Darryl Kile
    Hamala
    Garcia

Thats a cornicopia of talent.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink