1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How good will Jeremy Lin be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sigmund, Jul 15, 2012.

?

How good will be Jeremy Lin?

1. Future Hall of Famer

6.9%
  2. Star/All star caliber player

25.9%
  3. Solid starter

54.2%
  4. Backup point guard

9.8%
  5. Scrub

3.1%
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its like DaDakota, Glen Rice, OHMSS, and Lhutz banded together to antagonize the Clutchfans community.

2. nathan3l3

nathan3l3 Member

It's ridiculous to give a player who only played 26 games a 30 mil contract, but at the same time also to tear him down with just 26 games. Let's see him play a full season before we begin to make any concret judgements.

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

wait.......when did DaDakota got banned?

what did he do? someone point to where he pisses off a mod here?

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ylNjMW8A1BE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pretty corny, but hey.

5. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

I am so p*ssed at Sigmund, I have posted more today than I have in the last 13 years combined. :mad::mad::mad:

1 person likes this.
  6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

OK, my last post on this subject, I've already given this more of my time than it deserves.

People are allowed to not like whoever they want, we aren't in the business of telling people what they have to like. The secret to not pissing off the mods is to make your arguments in a civil fashion. Starting your thread with the LARGE wording insulting everyone who doesn't agree with you is a flat out troll move.
    That shows you *want* to make people angry, and that's the textbook definition of a troll.

I'm done with this for now...y'all try to either stay cool when replying or ignore the guy. Remember, it doesn't matter if you were provoked, posting something that gets you banned is just making the troll happy

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

one moment in time...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EhM1oOpqjDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

That is what i wanted to vote for, somewhere between 8-11 man on the bench, the average guys. You know, the ones that get in the game sometimes and do something here and there, and dont play other games because of matchup nightmares....

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Now espn is lambasting the decision and saying how NY was sucking with LIN. Tone shifts all of a sudden. Hilarious.

10. Muaz

Muaz Member

I voted for solid player but I think the combination, of Houston fans, Knicks fans, and Asians worldwide should get him the all star spot. ( I apologize in advance if that last comment is offensive.) Paul got about 1,138,743 votes last yer Lin should get about 2 mil votes.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I voted solid starter since that was the option nearest my prediction but I think it's just as likely he's simply be a starter, possibly short of solid. I will be happy if I am wrong and he is an all-star or even just a hard-nosed, above average starter.

I'm very bummed over Dragic and I think that was a bad move on the part of management; I thought he could have been a gigantic part of our rebuilding efforts and the reason the talks broke down was, I thought, kind of a short-sighted one.

But that's in the past and if Lin makes our team better, I'll be happy about that.

I'm very curious to know what will happen with Brooks and how well he will play if he returns to our team. Of course, it's a whole other story, but we all remember the sad ending of Steve Francis's career. On the other hand, we might have two guys battling it out for starter. Who knows?

1 person likes this.
  12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

You guys.. seriously think Lin has a small chance of being like Steve Nash? You guys have to be just trolling Sigmund and trying to get him mad.. There is no way Lin will ever be that good.

Anyways.. I'm kind of bummed that the Knicks might not match Jeremy Lin because truth be told, Lin isn't that good. To me, I think Morey thinks that Lin is a short-term plan to manage the 1 spot, and I would have to agree with Morey if he does indeed think that. I do not think Lin will be a future "true"(as in he deserves it) all-star because I do not think he will be even as good as Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowry who have their own troubles rising above other point guards. It should be pretty clear to every person here that Lin isn't better than our past two points(I would even go as far as including Brooks) and probably doesn't have a higher ceiling than Dragic. And with Lowry you already know his skill and how good he is. Lin isn't very promising, to be honest.

If the Rockets do happen to sign Jeremy Lin, I'm guessing his tenure as a Rocket will only last 3 years which is the end of his contract. Unless of course we happen to find another gem and trade Lin.

Lin is a product of NY and being thrown on the court when their two stars were out and being told, "Go ahead kid, go have fun and do what ever you want."

Of course I hope I'm severely wrong and he does end up being "the next Steve Nash" ... lmao. I hope he turns into an ok trade chip(I prefer the term trade chip rather than asset)

Lin will not be the future for this franchise, but will bring a lot of bucks to the owner's pockets.. which isn't bad because then he wouldn't mind over spending on someone actually worth the money and maybe even revamp the franchise to look nicer. Just my opinion tho..

13. sando

sando Member

How about his 4th-quarter performance?

14. Cougar_Steve

Cougar_Steve New Member

Agree with Sigmund (to an extent)

I want to support Sigmund, to an extent, as to why Lin is at best an average pg, thus far. His game has major flaws (turnovers, lh, defense). How will he fit with Howard or Bynum in a half court offense? There was a reason he put up the points he did in Dantoni's offense.

What has Sigmund said that is incorrect? Personally, I really like the interest that Lin will bring to Houston but he is not worth the contract that we are giving him from a basketball perspective. To this point, there are 20 PGs I would take in place of Lin.

15. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

It would be one thing if he got allot of assists or scored allot of points and the Knicks didn't win ALA Derrick D. Coleman or Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Both of them were guys that scored allot of points, but there teams never won anything.

The Knicks were losing games left and right until Jeremy Lin. He was the X factor /difference maker. The Knicks started winning games when we was inserted into the starting line-up. That why fans in New York liked him so much. He was a "winner".

Jeremy has an "it" factor about him. Similar to Mario Elie and Jon Barry where the effect they had on whether or not a team wins is greater than the number of points, assists or rebounds he gets.

You would think guys like Carmelo Anthony help you win games because they score allot of points, but it doesn't always work that way. I always felt that when Carmelo was in Denver, it was Chauncey Billups that the one that helped them win games.

Detroit traded Chauncey because they thought he was old, but they were not the same team after they traded him. I really wish we traded Tracy for this guy when we had a chance.

Going back to the comments you made, you may be right about Lin, but but I think he will be an above average starter on par with Goran and Kyle. However the team will win more games, and most importantly, he will be able to help the Rockets recruit free agents without the Rockets having to over pay them. Think of how Miami is able to recruit free agents for dirt cheap contracts. And if you have any doubt about our future ability to recruit free agents, go back and take a look at how Chuck Hayes and Patrick Patterson got shoe endorsement deals:
    http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=59952
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=120759

Neither one of these guys deserve an endorsement deal based on their performance, but got one due to having Yao on the team.

#155 Huricane, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  16. Jman713

Jman713 Member

Duse chill he will get better.I predict he will be a solid starter or maybe even an all-star.

17. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

solid player at the very least, you don't just waltz around in MSG and drop 38 on the lakers

sure his performance has dwindled once teams actually took him seriously, but he can very well be a 15 and 7 guy once he starts playing with a consistent lineup

i'm voted for solid starter, but i'm optimistic of where he's headed

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-120406-07/weekend-dime-jeremy-lin-undrafted

----------------------
    Yet there's one standout number that, to me, didn't get nearly enough play amid the constant chatter about whether Lin -- as Steve Nash heard for so long before him -- needed D'Antoni's system to thrive.

Lin's crunch-time efficiency rating, namely.

At the time he was shut down -- presumably for the rest of this season unless there's a longer-than-expected playoff run in the Knicks' future that would give the meniscal tear in his left knee sufficient time to heal -- Lin's PER in fourth quarters was a whopping 33.5. Without trying to get too Hollinger-esque on you, bear in mind that such a reading left Lin behind only the Clippers' Chris Paul (37.2) in the league when this week began … and ahead of the likes of Derrick Rose (32.9), Kyrie Irving (32.2), LeBron James (30.7) and Kevin Durant (29.4).
    -----------------------

19. Happii

Happii Member

whatever...

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wade is also playing for an NBA championship while "Mr. Undrafted" is playing to help NY what - avoid getting swept?

I think your original post wasn't half bad, but you are reacting to the criticism you are getting by going way overboard.