1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Good is the Rockets Starting Line-up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 26, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

Did I miss something? What changes have Miami, San Antonio and Denver made to there bench that they will all of a sudden stop scoring as much. The only team that I know whose bench scoring will regress is the Bulls.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I said "Edge to Rockets", I just started my explination as to why with Landry Fiels. So I'm guessing you are agreeing with me.

3. crash5179

We were just discussing the starters.

4. crash5179

He missed it by 1.9 ppg. Is that a lot? I guess to you but not to me.

5. crash5179

I highly doubt it. But I guess we will see.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

Oh wow brain fart. I thought you said Edge to Raptors. My mistake.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

I would be ecstatic if Dmo is ready to start from the beginning of the season. But you have to remember, there is an adjustment period for euros, even Scola who was MVP caliber over there had to wait until the second half of the season. Montiejunas won't be as good(and nowhere near as consistent) as Scola was right off the bat, but I am hoping he will get there after the allstar break. While Patterson's upside is much lower than Dmo, remember he was actually very solid for us his rookie year, only to be hampered by injuries last year. He has 2 years of experience over any of our alternatives, so I expect him to at least start in the beginning. The sooner one of the young guys can take that spot from him, the better off we will be in the long run though.

Overall I definitely agree we will win much more than most on this board expect. Better start following the Raptors, because no tank for you here!

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

How many games do you think the squad can get?

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if Patterson isn't the starter at the beginning. Just like Bud/Parsons the year before, the rooks need to earn their starting spot.

10. JD88

JD88 Member

I just don't get the infatuation with Motiejunas.

Maybe in 3-4 years he MAY reach all-star level, but right now he's not there.

This board has a tendency to think everyone on the roster is a potential all star, and while some have the ability to make it, chances are, they won't.

Sure Dirk is good, but how many foreign players do you know that have really made an impact in the NBA? Bargnani, the Gasol brothers...

But compare that to the foreign busts, who are too numerous to name. I'm not saying that Donuts will be a bust at all, but I don't think he will come out and average 19 and 8 like some on here are predicting. Hopefully I am proved wrong, but I think he is still a few years away.

11. JD88

JD88 Member

Best case scenario, we win 38 games.

More than likely, 12-14 in the West.

We will have some nice draft picks next year.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

38 games is a possibility in terms of a best case scenario. Would be very promising if the roster could squeeze out 38 wins that is for sure.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

The team won roughly 42 games last year if you extrapolate it out. That was playing a tougher schedule compared to this year, playing a disproportionate amount of games against the west and southwest division(toughest in the league).

Compared to that team we have lost Dragic, Lowry, Lee, Budinger, Scola, Camby and Dalembert. IMO:

Lin will end up better than the Dragic/Lowry combo. I have not seen any players on our team the past year, or past few years since Tmac/Yao, take over games the way Lin did at times last year. While many have pointed out that it is unrealistic to expect him to take over every game and sustain that type of production, I believe it is equally mind-boggling that some have already pigeonholed him with a certain ceiling with no room for improvement. At the end of the season, I believe it will be clear that we have upgraded this position.

Asik will end up better than the Camby/Dalembert combo. As Morey has already pointed out, this will be the first time since Yao that we have had this type of defensive presence in the paint. And back when we had Yao, we were a perennial top-5 defensive team. Camby was simply too old. Dalembert simply too invisible.

I believe Lee/Budinger are both marginal players that are easily replaceable. Lamb, Livingston, Douglas, maybe we sign Alonzo Gee. Some other marginal replaceable player will step up and fill their shoes. No loss there.

Scola will be missed, but as some have pointed out, he slowed down drastically last year, some of that due to a preseason knee surgery. I think the combination of a healthy Patterson and one of our 8 other young PFs stepping up can mitigate this loss in the end.

Overall talent-wise, we have actually upgraded from last year, which is why it is absolutely mind-boggling how some would suggest we are a bottom dweller this year when last year's team remained competitive. I expect some adjustment period initially since 80% of the roster have never played with eachother. But combine an easier schedule with an actual training camp this time around, and I believe we can easily match last year's win rate.

40-44 games. I know guys, boo hoo. It would actually be a great thing for a young team like this, despite what most here would have you believe.

14. PeppermintCandy

The frontcourt of Parsons/Patterson/Asik could be defensively sound but a nightmare on offense.

McHale will need to figure out how to get some shooters on the floor with Lin.

1 person likes this.
  15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Deep analysis. If the squad can squeeze out 40-44 games. Wow. Man would I be impressed. I think something you are forgetting though is that a lot of the rotation players (hopefully Machado included) have never stepped foot on an NBA floor. I don't think it will be a matter of guys not playing with each other (which I definitely think will be a factor). More so I just think it will boil down to lack of experience and seasoning. i think that will be the major reason as to why the guys struggle. Do you by any chance know how tough the schedule for the rockets ranks this year according to elias sports bureau or espn stats info? I know that there were tweets going around as to how tough or easy other teams schedules are. The Bulls apparently have one of the two easiest schedules in the NBA. Curious as to where the rockets stand.

16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Folks, we have zero low post threat now that scola is gone. That combined w young players learning the nba game and trying to develop chemistry... It's going to be a 30 to 35 win year.

I'd rather us suck more, but it will be fun watching the kids play.

Before you start saying motie will be out low post game, check yourself. The kid has potential but a long way to go.

17. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

With this line up, 35 wins. I'll surprised if we end up 0.500.

You need star to win in this league, do not lie to yourself, Rockets do not have a star. Lin is a star, but not purely base on basketball.

18. butterball

butterball Member

Best case scenario: We squeeze into the playoffs. That. would be so great. Its been such a long time since I've watched them in the playoffs.

I think we will surprise a lot of folks because the team just meshes so well. K-Mart and Parsons are off-the-ball guys. Lin can just chill, do his thing, and not worry about deferring to anyone. Donuts or P-Pat can play pick-n-roll with Lin all day. Martin and Parsons can get some spot-up Js. Asik can just focus on his defense and every now and then get a few gimmes.

The more I think about it, the more excited I get.

19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I hope so. don't share that optimism but obviously there is huge upside with this roster. I just wonder about our bench and how well they perform. Lots of rookies coming off the bench... :/

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member