1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How does trading for draft picks work under the new CBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Sherlock, Apr 29, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I've been trying to figure out how trading players for draft picks works? Does anyone understand the boundaries?

For instance, can we trade a player for a draft pick, or trade up in the draft by giving someone a player, or do we have to do matching salary stuff? How does a team over their cap affect any of this?

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I do not know the answer, but for what i have seen of recent drafts trades usually after the pick has been made. I am guessing that onced picked the rookie has a salary based on the position in the draft, which then allows trade to more easily happen.

------------------

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

As heypartner first pointed out during his "where did the $4.5M come from" quest, in a trade, draft picks count nothing against the cap Otherwise the same rules apply as in any other trade.

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited April 29, 2000).]

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Thanks aelliot. I read your explanation under the <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000154.html">Using Cato to move up thread</a>, which also helps.

So, just to make sure I understand, as long as both teams are under the cap, I can trade anyone for anyone I want or pick I want, as long as it makes sense to the both teams. The problem comes when I'm over the cap, as most teams are, so that picks only become sweeteners to a deal, not value in trade.

If I wanted to move up in the draft using players alone, I'd have to take players back from them that came within 15% of each other. The only way you could do that is to trade someone who is undervalued, and take someone overvalued and get a pick.

So, Cato, Williams and Rogers are not a good candidate for moving up in the draft, since they are currenlty overvalued. Mobely, KT and Drew are undervalued, at least to teams who need their skills, so they make good candidates for trading up.

So, a scenario of trading KT, Drew and the Detroit pick might get us Kandi and LAC's first pick, since it would give them 2 inexpensive starters and less to have to pay a first pick.

Would that work?

[This message has been edited by Sherlock (edited April 30, 2000).]

5. aelliott

You're close, but not exactly right (or maybe I'm just misinterpreting what you're meaning). If both teams are over the cap, then the player salaries have to be within 15%, that's correct. If the team that is trading up in salary is under the cap and they can fit the contracts they're getting under their cap, then the 15% rule doesn't apply. See, they can't really do any deal they want, they still have to be able to fit the salaries under their cap. It's a minor point.

Cap-wise the deal you proposed might not work . Kenny and Drew should be around $2M in salary and Kandi man should be $3M+. Since we'd be the team trading up we'd have to have at least $1M in cap space to make that work. I also don't believe that the Clips will trade a potential #1 pick for players of Thomas and Drew's skills. They'd be looking for somebody a little more proven.

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited May 01, 2000).]

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

aelliot-But we can use part of the 4.5 exception for that, right?

Since we'd be the team trading up we'd have to have at least $1M in cap space to make that work.

Wouldn't THEY be the ones under the cap, if it's 2+2 (4) compared to 3, meaning they're taking on more salary?

So, you mean in the pick trading thing, if we trade up, the pick counts under the cap? Or are you saying the scenario is before the draft? I think if we do it during the draft and the Clippers were to pick for us, and we pick for them, it'd work, right?

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You'd think someone with a handle like Sherlock would be better at investigating these things. [​IMG]

------------------

8. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Just a question, but wasn't Bonzi Wells traded for a future first round draft pick (under the new CBA)?

My understanding is that until the player signs, teams over the cap can accept a draft pick because it's simply the "rights to negotiate" with the pick being transferred. Could be completely wrong though.

------------------

9. aelliott

aelliot-But we can use part of the 4.5 exception for that, right?
    Yeah, you're right we could use some of the trade exception here.

Wouldn't THEY be the ones under the cap, if it's 2+2 (4) compared to 3, meaning they're taking on more salary?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here.
    You lost me somewhere around the 2+2 portion.

So, you mean in the pick trading thing, if we trade up, the pick counts under the cap? Or are you saying the scenario is before the draft? I think if we do it during the draft and the Clippers were to pick for us, and we pick for them, it'd work, right?

I'm not completely sure at what this question is asking either, but let me correct a bad choice of words that I used in an earlier post.

Draft picks have zero value for the purpose of matching salaries in a trade. They do count against an individual team's cap. Those are two separate things. In my earlier posting I said that draft picks didn't count against the cap and I should have said that they didn't count in the aggregate salaries for a trade. Sorry. That rule applies whether you trade up or down in salary.

As far as having the Clippers pick for us and trading after the fact, I believe that unsigned rookies have no value in trades either. If I remember correctly, the fact that Francis didn't count at all in the trade salaries was the key to heyPartner figuring out where all the $4.5 in Trade exceptions came from.

Biggest problem that I see with this proposed trade isn't cap related. It's just too weighted in Houston's favor. Even the Clippers wouldn't do that deal.

------------------

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the 2+2 part, I was talking in millions....being Bryce Drew's 2, and Kenny Thomas' 2 (million) OOPS!! I see where I messed up, I thought you were saying Drew and KT were 2 mill each (they're a little over a mill each I think). I figured the rest out, thanks. [​IMG]

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!