1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about this year's draft class?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about this draft now?

1. F - Worst Draft Ever

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. D - Can any of these guys even play?

21 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. C - Will look great in a couple years but we needed starters now

32 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. C+ - Not super excited but in Gaine we trust I guess

34 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. B - Competition at all key positions, no complaints

46 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. B+ - Great job by the Texans, filled up holes with quality players

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. A - In Gaine we trust...again

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. A+ - 7 pro bowlers got drafted today

6 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Marteen

Marteen Member

The more people that hate this class, the more I like it.

#21 Marteen, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    body slam, awc713 and Roc Paint like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Incomplete.

So many of these guys are oozing potential, but may not realize it. In three years this could be the best class ever or none of the guys could be on the team anymore.

This class could make or break O'Brien and Gaine.

raining threes and whag00 like this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Nimo TX had a draft similar to the one I thought of in hindsight.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Go back and look at those players they got jumped for. Texans dodged bullets most of the time.

6. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

I like Nimo's draft much better. We have a defense that is ready to win now, but developing our players on offense? I don't get what BOB and Gaine are trying to accomplish with this draft. Underwhelming to say the least.

Nook likes this.
  7. conquistador#11

We always get an eventual pro bowler, and two solid contributors from the draft each season. The pro bowler will be Xavier Crawford, who doesn't get extended in 2021 and goes to Indy to make the all pro team. Max and Kahale become borderline pro bowlers. Tytus catches an infection and loses 100lbs in a span of two weeks. Out of the league by 2020.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

They hit need so that feels good. Between Howard and Scharping at least one of them should be an above average starter for the Texans and if at least one of the CB’s turns out to be pretty good then it should be considered a pretty good draft.

But if Dillard turns out to be a pro bowler that’s all that we will remember from this draft.

9. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Not getting Dillard messed up the rhythm of the draft. By squeezing the 4th-round pick, eventually used on the no-football-talent steroid-monster TE, a position BOB always fetishes over but for no football reason as the Texans are deep with athletic TEs and BOB doesn't know how to use them anyway, it cost them Miles Sanders versus a backup-ceiling OL in Scharping. Sanders is a very fine RB and the Texans are actually very thin there.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Who among us would have given up Kahale Warring (pick 3.23) + Tytus Howard (pick 1.23) to move up one slot to have taken Andre Dillard in Round 1? Probably all of us. The Eagles jumping us for Dillard is sticking in my craw!

GOOD DAY

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Nothing new around these parts

Marteen likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Considering where Dillard was drafted, I would not.

I would have given up a sixth for him. But we found excellent value in the sixth, so that makes it harder.

What would have made sense to me would have been a fifth in next year's draft. It was one spot they had to move up to. Would not require a third.

[/PREMIUM POST]

#32 Two Sandwiches, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The pundits are never going to like this draft because of some of the perceived reaches and how we got outmaneuvered in the first.

But, we should get a sense pretty quickly, I'd say in training camp in the fall, about the trajectory of some of these players. Particularly the OL and TE; maybe the DB's deserve a solid year plus before we cast judgment since it is a harder position to develop, along the lines of QB and WR. But the OL and TE we should have a sense, just like we did with Duane, that even if there are some early struggles, the coaching staff has faith in them to work through their mistakes by getting real first team reps. Scharping can be an understudy to Seantrel until he gets hurt. But I am looking for Tytus to supplant Davenport fairly quickly, and Warring to be that Y tight end that BOB was always dreaming Fiedorowicz would be for us.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I still remember last years draft which was an absolute smash hit given what we had to work with. I'm betting we get one starting tackle this year and two eventually. 2 contributing cornerbacks and at least one starter next year. Didn't get the te pick, but the write ups on this guy are extraordinary. Nice 5th round pick that could see the field this year. I don't see any reason to doubt gaine after last year just because kiper and company disagree.

TheFreak likes this.
  15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Doesn't make it less annoying to watch on draft night.

raining threes and houstonstime like this.
  16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You need to get a bona fide starter with a #23 pick. If the Texans had Dillard as the write in LT and they got jumped by one pick then it was a terrible mismanagement. Once they got jumped, they should have still gotten a guaranteed starter, which they could have done with Greedy or their #1 CB on the board.

17. awc713

awc713 Member

People, myself included, fall in love with names and perceived value. In reality, none of that matters at all.

There are reasons to like every single pick. There are also reasons not to like each pick too, but it seems that most of those reasons are tied to name value. I like this draft class. It looks rogue or unprincipled when you look at just value, but all of our picks are interesting. Will be moot if we can't coach em up, which is more likely that not to happen, I guess.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

C+ for me. I actually like the players we got quite a bit, just not so much given what we need right now. We really need one of Howard or Sharping to be ahead of schedule but unfortunately I haven’t seen anything from Devlin/BoB to have much confidence in this.

raining threes likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Now that it's fully O'Brien's show and he has alignment with the GM, it was predictably bungled and terrible.

That said, even though Tytus should have been a 2nd round pick he can still be really good. I also like Warring and Crawford as a value pick. The rest of the guys seem rough- they have good measurables but need a lot of work.

Nook likes this.