1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about soccer now?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mtbrays, Jun 23, 2010.

?

Soccer; are you a fan after the World Cup?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2010.
  1. Yes! The beautiful game is just that.

112 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. Maybe; I'll give it a try, but this is as good as it gets.

27 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. No; it's like the Olympics every four years for me.

65 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. No; who watches a sport where you can't use your hands and doesn't have timeouts?

32 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now that you've seen an incredible, awe-inspiring USA victory in what has become a fantastic World Cup, do you intend on following the sport from here on out?

2006 was the year that turned me into a huge soccer fan and I'm excited to see so many of my friends having the same realization that you can still be American and love the beautiful game.

There are MLS teams out there for you to support and follow and, despite what many would have you believe, the style of play, while not world-class, is not terrible by any means. Many of our American players play in foreign leagues, notably Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley (who I imagine, if he keeps it up, might get some calls from the EPL after the World Cup). If you want to follow any of those players (maybe even Landon Donovan after his great tournament so far), you'll be in for a treat.

We can't predict what will happen from here on out. Who knows if there's another Zidane-esque moment in store for us. However, as USA fans, we've been treated (or subjected) to the full range of emotions associated with this great sport. From the surprise draw with England, the stolen victory against Slovenia and the heart-pounding release of victory against Algeria, we got our fair share in the group stages.

Now on to the knock-out rounds!

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is no way I can make up my mind by June 28th.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Have been a fan for years, am very happy to see the USA playing so well.

6 goals in 3 matches is not bad, even if 2 of them were overturned.

And, just think how much better we would be if Charlie Davies and his skills were healthy, Findley has the pace, just not the skill.

DD

4. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I think I'm just gonna watch it every 4 years.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Nah, not really. I guess it's more interesting then baseball, but heck, I'm a huge swimming fan and I only really follow that every four years. Besides, much of my amusement with soccer comes out of the fact that we generally don't care but perform as well as we do.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The prospect of having a healthy Davies on this squad makes me even more sad for what happened to him. You know it has to absolutely be killing him to watch on TV when he knows he could have helped this squad so much.

7. droxford

droxford Member

You should have added an option in the poll for "no, I still friggin' HATE soccer"

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Woulda shoulda coulda. Also, they scored 4 only. It's written in history now. :p

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Still not a soccer fan and have an even greater disdain for all buzzing insects.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

so is 2-0....the last clean sheet game the USA had before today's.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I have been a futbol fan since the 80s. I moved here from Dubai in 91 when I was 7 and soccer/cricket were king there.

I really got into the WC in 1990. Italy was my first love.

My fam rooted for Argentina but I was drawn to the darker blue jerseys I guess. Plus, Roberto Baggio was a G.

#11 sammy, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I've watched soccer for a long time.

I've always wanted people to appreciate the game like I do. It suck that here in the US and in Houston in general people look at it as a joke.

You listen to blow hards on 610(Rich Lord) and their ignorance and hope that that's not the mainstream thought.

I really hope this great win can add to our already great Dynamo fan club. I want more of our young athletes to want to play soccer for their country. We have so many different and amazing cultures in here and Soccer can really bring them all together.

I'd also want to see a better brand of soccer here in the MLS. I'd love to leave La Liga, EPL and find that great type of soccer here.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I would prefer them to play in Europe. They face better competition and are more prepared for stages like the WC.

Edit: I thought you meant you wanted them to play in the MLS :eek:

14. SwoLy-D

Should MERGE this thread. People are going to talk about the 2010 WORLD CUP here. :eek:
    Yeap. It was. Friedel, I think? :eek: Now it's HOWARD's.

See? ;)

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

no money here (yet). I'd love them to know they can make MILLIONS is Europe so they decide to play soccer Period.

In 10 years I hope MLS is a major sport and can pay these athletes major money.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'll watch the USA every 4 years.

I certainly respect why other people love soccer so much and I'm not arrogant enough to go around constantly dumping on it just because it's not my cup of tea. But personally, I still much prefer football to futbol. :)

1 person likes this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Soccer will never be popular in America because Americans are arrogant and won't watch a league (MLS) that is not the best in the world.

World Cup = Olympics

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i keep saying i want to get into it, but then i see all the flopping and terrible officiating. i only have room for one sport like that and i'm not giving up the nba.

1 person likes this.
  19. SwoLy-D

Well said. THAT, and they keep calling the NFL, NBA, and MLB winner of the season the "WORLD CHAMPS." :grin:

MLS is the only Major League that doesn't call the champs "WORLD CHAMPS." :eek:

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I watched the entire game today and felt it was pretty freaking exciting. Never imagined thinking that about a soccer game. On the other hand, I doubt I could ever get into club matches or the Dynamo simply because it's not on the same stage. I voted for every 4 years like the olympics.