1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do we make a SUCCESSFUL Third Party?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As I look through the political landscape it seems more and more
    that a third party is necessary.
    The Reform party seemed like a good one .. but
    it did not defend itself from infiltration and destruction
    all the Republicans did was send in the religious right to join
    enmass. . then totally make it into a laughing stock

1. A Third party needs to solidify its planks and make them ridgit to protect against such foolishness

I notice the GREENs and the LIBERTARIANS . . or whoever
    Why is it they only seem to run for President. . who was the GREEN
    Candidate for the At Large Council Seat? Who was the Libertarian
    Candidate for Mayor of Houston? How many of each are in the
    State Senate?

2. A Third parties need to stop trying to hit the HOME RUN . . .their is no way in the blue h*ll you gonna get voted President when you don't even hold a senate seat. You have no local or state representations. The idea that you can catch lightning in a bottle and become president

Rocket River

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

IMO, a third party needs to solidify its base before it tries to actually run candidates. In our two-party system, a third party controlling even 5-10% of the voters can have more power than either of the major parties as the swing vote between the two party's candidates.

We would also need to have a platform that is committed to reforming the problems with the two party system. Personally, I would like a third party to focus on things like campaign finance reform (or total elimination), tax reform (flat tax or consumption tax to replace the income tax), and term limits.

If the "Middle Party" (my pet name for a third party based on compromise and collegiality in politics) controlled 10% of the vote, then the Democrats nad Republicans would have to bow and scrape to us in order to get our votes. If they over promised and under delivered, we could axe them in the next election.

3. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Eliminate single-member districts. Until you do that you'll never have a meaningful third party.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Most Major thing is they need to build a RECORD
    and a reputation. They have to DO THE WORK

Locally
    Statewide
    and then beyond

Grassroots

Rocket River

5. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

1. Get a powerful member in your party to go in a different direction from the norm.
    2. Invoke the extremists in the party to follow your direction
    3. get people on your staff that follow your ideology, put them in key positions
    4. hope other members in the part don't notice and will follow like sheep.
    5. Profit!

And that's how we have three parties today: Republicans, Democrats and Neo-conservatives.

6. underoverup

underoverup Member

just take the best ideas from all the other parties. ;)

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The history of third parties in this country reflects the way the country is structured... if you have a third party with decent ideas, one of the two established parties will eventually coopt the ideas. If you have a third party based on a personality, as soon as that personality loses interest, dies, or is compromised, the party falls apart.

The only way we'll have a truly powerful third party is when one of the two major parties begins to disintegrate and reform, like the Whigs into Republicans... then we'll be back to two parties again.

I am not optimistic that there will ever be a long-term third party that is capable of challenging the other two. If you're really upset with the way things are going, pick a party and start working to change it into something you can live with.

8. insane man

insane man Member

without proportional representation or a significant geographic cleavage it aint happening.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The problem with recent history is that the party was run by an egomaniac. ross perot tapped into something in 92 that could have been followed up on with fresh personalities. the guy, perot, was kind of off from the start and look what he accomplished.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Fool's gambit.

One party will usurp the third party platform and reap the benefits. See Gingrich's Contract For America.

11. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Not sure i'd be too worried about the established parties taking all the good ideas. Afterall...if they are good ideas -- that would be a good thing, no?

The bigger concern is vote splitting. Imagine 2004 again...only the anti-Bush sprinkled their vote between two parties. The result is a much bigger mandate for the one party many of those wanted to defeat. Some argue that Nader helped the GOP in 2000 -- yet many of his supporters would likely prefer a Dem to a Rep.

Rim's right. Change has to come from within parties. The primaries and leadups are your multi-party system -- determining which policies the party will embrace. It would be a lot more fun to vote 'none of the above' but it doesn't work that way.

12. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

America's done all right with a two-party system.

13. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Fixed.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

the problem with the two parties we have is that they are not really parties. at least not parties i want to attend. i think we should have a third party with hot chicks, awesome bands and kegs flowing.

15. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

A SUCCESSFUL Third Party?

It is against the rules of bankers and politics.

Forget it, won't happen.

16. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I agree for a third part to even become respectable they need to start from the bottom up.

Local politics like Mayors, City supervisors, then maybe Gov's, and House or Rep.

Then maybe they can play with the big boys on the National scale as Senators and hopefully someday Pres.

J

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

3 largest hurdles....

Eliminate the Electoral College

Force term limits

Reduce congressional Gerrymandering privledges

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

An old friend of mine in Houston was an English guy, about twenty or thirty years older than me. He'd been involved in radical politics in England in his youth and belonged to the Cocktail Party.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This third party talk is a lot of grass is always greener stuff. I'd love for any of the self-identified moderates/independents in this thread to name one issue on which the DNC is too far left. I sincerely doubt you can. I'm not especially happy with the Democrats and I deplore the current GOP, but it's silly to think there's a third way that would actually please you guys which is only being prevented by party machinery. Both major parties have proven they're more than willing to sell out their core values in order to win. That's got everything to do with the contemporary cult of the "moderate." The major parties - especially the Democrats, with the DLC and all - have already done everything they could dream up to try to appeal to the largest group of people possible. You guys don't want a third party -- you just want to register your disgust with the two parties we have. There are plenty of third parties already. If one were to gain prominence, the exact same people here would be calling for a fourth party. It's just an opportunity to project your values onto an unknown quantity while repeating the tired old mantra that all the people currently in power are bums. I defy any self-identified moderate that tilts even the slightest to the left here to find an issue-based objection to the Democratic Party. I'm not a moderate, so I have plenty of issue-based objections to them but if you are a left leaning moderate I can't imagine how you could take issue with them wrt the issues. On the other hand, I can completely understand where right leaning moderates would be frustrated. As it stands the Democratic party is their best bet as well, wrt the issues, which must be a real pill.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Balanced Budget.
    Line Item Veto.
    Term Limits.