1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How can I negotiate more paid time off at work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by H-Town Info, Nov 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I have been working for current job for just over a year now and up for my review. According to the employee handbook, I would only get 1 week of vacation time since I'm employed with the company for 1 year. Currently, I'm working under salary in a management position and work on average 45 hours per week. Part of my quarterly bonus comes from the amount of hours I work per week as well. But as of right now, I feel a bit burnt out from work and haven't used any sick/personal days at all yet. Rather have some extra time off of work and take a little dent in my bonus.

How should I go about negotiating my paid time off? I was thinking of asking for two extra days paid vacation per year, extra personal day per year, and having one half day per month as a starting point? Any other suggestions?

FYI, this is 20 employee small business.

2. aghast

aghast Member

At your review, start with a higher salary request, more than you think is deserved. When it is lowered in response, bring up more days off as a compromise that both sides can agree upon.

Sucks that you only get one week off. I get four (though would kill just to be working 45 hour weeks). What's standard vacation time nowadays?

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

^LOL. I would kill to be in your shoes. I'm still at work right now with others (everyone has to meet the billable-hour requirements). We only get 2 weeks.

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I think that's very good advice. I could totally see that working.

I don't know what standard is, but at my company, non-exempt employees (hourly) get 2 weeks paid vacation and 1 week sick time until your 5th year, and then you receive 3 weeks vacation.

Exempt employees start out at 3 weeks.

I work for a financial institution... mortgages, secondary market.

5. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

About to find out tomorrow if I get my some extra paid time off.

Crossing my fingers