1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingCamp04/news/story?page=texans

Camp at a glance
    When: All players, July 30.
    Where: Houston Texans practice facility, Houston, Texas.
    Preseason schedule:
    Aug 14 Dallas
    Aug 21 at Pittsburgh
    Aug 27 at Denver
    Sep 2 Tampa Bay

Most significant change: The Texans used the No. 10 pick to draft CB Dunta Robinson, who will start from the outset. With Robinson on board, the Texans felt safe in moving Marcus Coleman to free safety. On paper, the move strengthens the secondary, as Robinson is a well-regarded prospect, and Coleman intercepted seven passes a season ago. Yet Coleman was tried at free safety earlier in his career, and the position change didn't last. Robinson will be targeted by opposing defenses.

Reason for optimism: A defense that lacked depth a season ago and finished next-to-last overall received an infusion of talent in the offseason. Former Titans defensive tackle Robaire Smith was signed to play defensive end in the 3-4. Robinson and fellow first-round pick Jason Babin, an outside linebacker, have the talent to be successful from the start. Former Vikings cornerback Eric Kelly will provide depth in the secondary.

Causes for concern: The Texans will give second-year left tackle Seth Wand every opportunity to start. But the 6-7, 327-pound Wand is raw. If he falters, it could unsettle an offensive line that should be better after adding former Dolphins right tackle Todd Wade in free agency. Also, keep an eye on starting RB Domanick Davis. Some question whether he is big enough to carry the load over a whole season.

Training-camp battles to watch: Two stand out. At fullback, Jarrod Baxter will fight Moran Norris for the starting job. Baxter missed last season with a foot injury. At tight end, Mark Bruener, Bennie Joppru and Billy Miller will all see playing time.

Don't be surprised if... the Texans remain in playoff contention through late November. However, the Texans probably are another year away from a serious playoff push.

2. Chump

Chump Member

any info on any open practices/scrims to the public?

3. Win

Win Contributing Member

Man, if I have to read another 'potential Rockets trade or free agent pick-up' thread I'm gonna join Ricky Williams and start hitting the blunt.

Bring on the Texans and a little football! HELL YEAH!!!! :cool: :cool:

4. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

What's the report on Seth Payne? Is he going to be back for training camp or will he wait until the end of training camp?

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Baxter is going to have to play his butt off because Norris came up bigtime last season.

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I'm most curious about Wand and Babin and how they perform in training camp and preseason. If they become what they the Texans expect them to become...this team will be a pleasant surprise.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Did anyone catch Gaffney's comments on ch. 13? He said "Carr throws the ball to Andre too much and that he and Cory can make the same type of plays if he gave them the ball". He must have been in the sun too long if he is putting he and Cory in the same sentence as Andre.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When was this?

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

On the 6pm news here (Houston) He said that this year he would like to get the ball more and then he said what I wrote in my last message. I couldn't believe it either. A very selfish way to go into a new season. If you had a playmaker like Dre on the team who wouldn't throw it to him as much as Carr does. Its childish.

10. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I got more of the impression that David should spread the ball around more in general. And I concur. For Andre's hope I hope he does. I hated last year when the coverage would just sit on Andre and Billy. The passing game has been predictable. But of course I'd like Andre to get the most reps.:D

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

So its a little over two weeks till the Texans have their first preseason game. :D I cant wait!!!!

12. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, the Cowboys have their 1st preseason game in a little over two weeks too...

Wait a minute...

AHH! Prepare to face the wrath of the almighty Cowboys in a preseason game! No mercy will be shown and um.....uh...passes will be thrown. Tony Romo will own you!;)

Seriously, football has seemed to have crept up on me. I'm still used to Rocket's offseason and the Astro's season, and here comes NFL football already. It is pretty fun having these preseason games against each other. Really gets the rivalry going that can't really be done during the season every year.

13. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I must have missed training camp ticket day this year... for the open practcies..

14. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

Get open, then, jackass.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought the only reciever that David Carr knew was Billy Miller.

It was Tony Banks who fell in love with 'Dre.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah really. Dude catches a 5yd pass and looks for the softest place on the grass to fall.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can't wait for the Texans to show that they are not full of Bull.

18. 12345

12345 Member

You'll be waiting for a while. :p

LOL, j/k. They MIGHT make the playoffs this year. ;)

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Are you kidding?!? Babin's going to hit your sissy little QB's so hard, he'll leave an imprint from one of his tatoos.:D :p :D

20. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Oh yeah, he'll hit your running backs so hard, they'll need a walker just to get back to the huddle.