1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Strip Clubs Ordered to Close!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by glad_ken, May 11, 2007.

1. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

The list of clubs ordered to close: http://blogs.chron.com/cityhall/archives/sobs.xls

Crackdown begins on sex businesses
    Operators are told to shut down or face arrests at more than 100 locations

By MATT STILES
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The city has ordered more than 100 adult cabarets, bookstores and other so-called sexually oriented businesses to close down their operations or face criminal and civil penalties, according to warning letters obtained by the Houston Chronicle.

City Attorney Arturo Michel's office mailed the certified letters on Thursday, stating that the businesses were violating an ordinance prohibiting them from operating within 1,500 feet of schools, parks, churches and other "sensitive" locations in the city.

The cease-and-desist letters mean that employees and owners of the businesses face arrest "soon" if they fail to heed the city's notice, said Capt. Steve Jett, who commands the Houston Police Department's vice unit.

"They need to close up," he said. "We wanted to give them fair warning."

The move comes after a federal judge ruled in March that the police could begin enforcing the ordinance, which City Council passed in 1997. The restrictions, which also restrict the businesses from locating in largely residential areas or too close together, have been on hold for a decade, as federal district and appellate courts weighed the constitutionality of the ordinance.

In a trial earlier this year, U.S. District Judge Nancy Atlas ruled the ordinance's distance provisions didn't violate the business owners' rights to commercial speech, finding there were sufficient alternative sites for them to locate when the council passed the ordinance a decade ago.

It's unclear how many such locations, especially those that might be commercially viable, remain.

Last month, Mayor Bill White promised "aggressive" enforcement of the ordinance, which could close down large, multimillion-dollar adult clubs such as Treasures and The Men's Club, but also scores of small adult bookstores and "modeling" studios.

Club owners and attorneys reached late Thursday declined to comment out of fear they could jeopardize their employees and businesses first. Some also have notified Atlas' court that they intend to appeal her ruling.

A manager at one establishment said he was disappointed to hear of the city's crackdown.

"It's hard to legislate morality," said Thomas Venza, a manager at Centerfolds Adult Entertainment, in the 6100 block of Richmond. "If you don't agree with it, don't go."

At least nine businesses have filed new lawsuits in state courts here in recent weeks, challenging the ordinance's provision for "amortization," a process by which the city could let clubs operate for a period after the law takes effect so owners can recoup their investments before moving or closing.

White has said the clubs had a decade to prepare for the looming enforcement.

Employment, sales tax
    Privately, industry officials said they think the city's crackdown is unfair, noting that they are lawful businesses that contribute millions of dollars to the local economy through employment and sales taxes.

Some also decry that all such businesses are linked together in one ordinance.

They see a distinction between adult cabaret clubs, which require multiple permits because their businesses depend on liquor and food sales, from modeling studios and spas, some of which police say are nothing more than fronts for prostitution.

Those distinctions have not been important to elected officials and police, who plan to begin enforcement as soon as next week.

"The sole purpose of this notice is to clarify the City of Houston's legal authority and intent to enforce ordinance provisions governing sexually oriented business enterprises beginning immediately," the letter reads. "This notice is not subject to reconsideration or administrative recourse."

Employees and owners could face arrest on a Class A misdemeanor charge punishable by up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine. The city also may seek civil injunctions forcing closures.

Jett called the letter a "courtesy."

"We would much rather them comply, and let them know that the city is dead serious about this," he said. "We're not saying they can't operate. We're just saying they need to move."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4794933.html

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's a shame.

Anyway, did it rain like hell last night at anyone elses house? I thought I was going to float away!

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

We should embrace having the best strip clubs outside of Vegas not run them off.

I sleep better when it rains.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If the offending clubs have known for 10 years that they are in violation they should have made arrangements to move.

DD

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

That list is pretty comprehensive, although old....some of the places listed have closed within the last 10 years.

The city gubment loves collecting the taxes these places pay, so after they close them down, what taxes of ours will they raise to make up the difference?

Hint: P-R-O-P-E-R-T-Y-T-A-X-E-S

Hypocracy. I lub it.

:rolleyes:

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think they should make an exception for that area of Richmond and Westheimer. Isn't that where the majority of clubs are?

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Ridiculous.

I can think of hundreds of things I'd rather the city worry about.

8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

lame. closing down all the joints of ill repute in times square marked the death of manhattan as anything other than a playground for tourists.

keep houston nekkid!

9. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

This is what you get for not having zoning. Haphazard land use regluations.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Houston should have had zoning a long, LONG time ago. I don't have a problem with the affected businesses, but clear zoning laws would have insured that this never came up.

11. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

This "Bible-belt" crap has got to stop. Next thing you know they'll be confiscating our PC's if they have p*rn on it. :rolleyes: :mad:

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, if these clubs are shut down, NOTHING will be "coming up" in that area any time soon.

13. JibbaJabba

JibbaJabba Contributing Member

124 Hyatt Regency Houston 1200 Louisiana Houston, TX 77002

Wonder how easy it will be to close this one down?

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Wow, like all the major strip clubs except for Colorado seem to be listed there. I'm not so sure that there are schools, churches, or parks near some of these places, maybe the "sensitive" locations part of the ordinance is being used very liberally.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

LOL! Very true. You could move to Austin and go to Sugar's or the Yellow Rose. Not that I have a clue as to what they look like inside! :D

16. Cesar^Geronimo

Closing down all the "joints of ill repute" in Times Square did exactly what they wanted -- brought more people into Manhattan -- brought more money into Manhattan. Instead of a handful of horny old men giving dollars to strippers they have many families spending all kinds of money -- and a much safer area around Times Square.

Times Square went from an eye-sore to an attraction -- and there are still plenty of strip joints around if that's what you want.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

there must not be enough crime in the neighborhoods. what better way to put our police resources to use.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

wait, that's on the list? i can't open it since i'm at work. my sister works there, that would be pretty crappy if they shut it down.

19. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

not disagreeing with you dude. i just don't prefer white bread. dig?

20. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

One less reason for my son to get in trouble.