1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Houston Rockets joining League of Legends

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DatRocketFan, Oct 19, 2017.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

400,000 machines x how many people playing a day x how many days...
    Add in pac man for atari 2600, 5200, etc...
    retro games...
    playing on their phone...
    playing online...
    I think they even had a watch version at one point....

I'm sure LoL has more devoted players... but if you're gonna compare it with EVERY person who EVER dropped in a quarter or played at home, or on their computer at work or on their phone, etc... I don't see it...

I'm 47... Prior to this thread, I'd never heard of it... as well as a few others who have chimed in... 30 years ago, my Dad may not have ever played Pac-man - but he knew what it was....

jus sayin 'most poular game ever' if a helluva a statement... especially when you factor in length of existence... how many different generations have played Pac-Man in one incarnation or another...

2. GIGO

GIGO Member

ESPN: The Rockets will name their team Clutch City Gaming.

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The last world championship of league of legends was one of the most watched events ever, something around 75 million viewers.

I'm a market analyst who works suicidal hours, and I can get the occasional game. I enjoy it because it's truly the best of the best. Since physical ability offers no inherent advantage, and injuries typically Don't happen, your left with an EXTREMELY skilled player base.

It would be as if every shooter shot free throws at 95%. Errors are so rare from pro lol players that you can count them on one hand per game.

Imagine what chess would be like if you had to move a piece every second, and there was 5 players on each team. It's confusing as hell at first, but extremely rewarding once you get it.

4. No Chill Rocket

Will they be using a short 7 man rotation whilst playing League of Legends?

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So basically Tilman Fertitta bought an e-sports team, and just gave it the Rockets branding as a possible revenue source.

Just stating that the Rockets joined League of Legends is an extremely f**king confusing title, and the actual article was only moderately helpful.

Jayzers_100 and heypartner like this.
  6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I can get behind the name.

Very good bridge from rockets to the gaming world. Albeit I think "Clutch Gaming" would have been a better gaming team name, none the less it's a good tie to its ultimate owning franchise.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I thought Les started the esports division?

8. GIGO

GIGO Member

ESPN UPDATE:

The Houston Rockets have decided to go with Clutch Gaming — instead of Clutch City Gaming, as previously expected — as the name for their League of Legends franchise, league sources told ESPN. The Texas basketball franchise was accepted into the league in October.

9. GIGO

GIGO Member

CG
    CLUTCH GAMING

DRIVING TOWARDS THE FUTURE OF ESPORTS THROUGH DATA AND ANALYTICS

There has never been a back office more prepared to join the NA LCS and build a successful team than Clutch Gaming. The esports venture of the Houston Rockets, Clutch Gaming’s management team has been building out a presence in League of Legends for the past year and a half, laying down their path to future championships. With leadership from the Rockets, CG has already built out one of the largest scouting systems of any NA LCS team, and is using findings from Challenger and pro games around the world to develop an unprecedented competency in analytics, giving them an upper hand in building a competitive squad from Day 1. New Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta brings his own unique experience to the team as well; between his incredible history of growing high-value entertainment properties and proven success building beloved teams with the Texans and Rockets, it shouldn’t be any surprise when this new org grows into a massive success.

http://www.clutchlcs.com/

#69 GIGO, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Here is an interesting interview of Sebastian Park,
    (Director of Esports Development for the @HoustonRockets & @ClutchGaming)
    aka head honcho for ClutchGaming.

The other two that are interviewing him are former professional players that now spend their days as streamers on Twitch.

Our GM is playing an active role with this team, from the interview sounds like they r infusing Houston Rockets ideology/culture into this esport team. Pretty interesting.

#70 DatRocketFan, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  11. GIGO

GIGO Member

Travis Gafford interviews Tilman Fertitta's director of esports.

@8:30 What is CG going to be with the tagline such as "an unprecedented competency in analytics"?
    @11:25 What is CG's situation in terms of ownership and involvement of the Rockets?
    @12:50 How much are we going to see the Rockets get involved with CG? How much should the fans associate these two brands?
    @15:21 Should fans in Texas, especially in Houston, feel like they need to be fans of CG because of the region component?

Riot casters talking about Clutch Gaming @51:46 - 57:30

#71 GIGO, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cross industry marketing
    Same people who play these games might go to Landry’s after playing games all day then catch the Rockets at the sports book at Golden nugget
    Target audience is the same age group

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know E-sport is of coming age but this has to go a long way till mainstream.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  14. GIGO

GIGO Member

Daryl Morey who's in LA at the moment interviewed by Travis Gafford @ NA LCS Scouting Grounds 2017

Draft

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Close friend of my friend...already hooked me up with legit tix. This guy is the real deal and a genius.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U Guys can catch this on twitch.tv at 4 pm PST.
    For Newcomers who are somewhat interested in Rocket's investment in Clutch Gaming.
    1. Type Twitch.tv
    2. Click on Browse
    3. Click on League of Legends
    4. Click on the stream named something like "NA LCS"
    5. Enjoy

We are playing against Golden Guardian today (owned by GSW).

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's about to begin.

18. Rockets4Life13

Im watching it. Back to back games against golden state. First esports, then nba.

Febiven is really good, hope he steps up.

19. Rockets4Life13

First rockets over golden state win.

Now win in basketball 2 pls

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Someone hand the Golden State kid a sandwich. He looks like he has scurvy.