1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Mayor Parker Marries her Partner

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 18, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congratulations to Anise Parker.
    I almost wish I didn't have to post this in the D&D but figure it would end up here anyway.

http://news.msn.com/us/houstons-mayor-marries-longtime-partner-in-calif

Houston's mayor marries longtime partner in Calif.

Houston's openly gay mayor, Annise Parker, has wedded her longtime partner at a private home in California, even as her home state of Texas bans such same-sex marriages.

HOUSTON - Houston's openly gay mayor, Annise Parker, has wedded her longtime partner at a private home in California, even as her home state of Texas bans such same-sex marriages.

Parker and Kathy Hubbard were married on Thursday, the 23rd anniversary of their relationship, according to a statement from the mayor's office.

"We have had to wait a very long time to formalize our commitment to each other," Parker said in the statement.

About 75 percent of Texas voters in 2005 approved a state constitutional measure banning same-sex marriages. But the politics in the state's largest cities are far more progressive, with vibrant gay communities in places such as Houston, Dallas and Austin.

Parker was elected to her third and final term as mayor in November with little attention to her sexual orientation.

Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez, currently serving her third term in office, is openly gay, as are city council members in Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin and Houston.

Parker instituted a policy last year that allows married, same-sex partners of city employees to receive health insurance benefits, but her new wife will not be participating in that program, according to the statement.

The city's policy is being challenged in court by members of the Harris County Republican Party.

Parker and Hubbard have adopted two children together, a process she wrote about in the Huffington Post last year in which she talked about the discrimination they faced.

Parker and Annise are spending their honeymoon weekend in California, according to the mayor's office.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congrats to mayor Parker. It's a shame that her own state denies her the ability to marry the person she loves.

3. Raven

Raven Member

She should have gotten married next to LA's space shuttle, the one Houston should have gotten if she had done her job better.

1 person likes this.
  4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you mean the one that was engineered and manufactured entirely in Southern California?

blame the Intrepid Air & Space Museum in NYC

congrats to Mayor Parker!

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I remember sometime in the mid-80s the Chronicle had an article on Anise Parker before anyone heard of her. It was about what it was like to be gay in Houston at the time. She wasn't particularly successful, didn't radiate potential and the last thing anyone would have thought is she would be mayor in the future.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Some cities are just more important than others for historical perspective.

;)

Congrats Ms. Parker!

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wow they designed a vehicle to carry astronauts without any astronauts? No I think you are off BY A BIT on your little factoid genius.

Agreed. With no other space technology to give context or perspective, an aircraft carrier is a terrible place for a shuttle.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you are right, I left out the part that the ENTIRE FLEET of the Space Shuttle program was built in Southern California.

hey you guys are getting the 747 that carried them and a neat mock-up of one of the shuttles.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yeah, the Democrat mayor, that's the reason

Sen. John Cornyn [R]
    Sen. Ted Cruz [R]

REPRESENTATIVES
    By congressional district:

1st — Rep. Louie Gohmert Jr. [R]
    2nd — Rep. Ted Poe [R]
    3rd — Rep. Sam Johnson [R]
    4th — Rep. Ralph Hall [R]
    5th — Rep. Jeb Hensarling [R]
    6th — Rep. Joe Barton [R]
    7th — Rep. John Culberson [R]
    8th — Rep. Kevin Brady [R]
    9th — Rep. Al Green [D]
    10th — Rep. Michael McCaul [R]
    11th — Rep. Michael Conaway [R]
    12th — Rep. Kay Granger [R]
    13th — Rep. Mac Thornberry [R]
    14th — Rep. Randy Weber [R]
    15th — Rep. Rubén Hinojosa [D]
    16th — Rep. Beto O'Rourke [D]
    17th — Rep. Bill Flores [R]
    18th — Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee [D]
    19th — Rep. Randy Neugebauer [R]
    20th — Rep. Joaquin Castro [D]
    21st — Rep. Lamar Smith [R]
    22nd — Rep. Pete Olson [R]
    23rd — Rep. Pete Gallego [D]
    24th — Rep. Kenny Marchant [R]
    25th — Rep. Roger Williams [R]
    26th — Rep. Michael Burgess [R]
    27th — Rep. Blake Farenthold [R]
    28th — Rep. Henry Cuellar [D]
    29th — Rep. Gene Green [D]
    30th — Rep. Eddie Johnson [D]
    31st — Rep. John Carter [R]
    32nd — Rep. Pete Sessions [R]
    33rd — Rep. Marc Veasey [D]
    34th — Rep. Filemon Vela [D]
    35th — Rep. Lloyd Doggett [D]
    36th — Rep. Steve Stockman [R]

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Look up the definition of design.

Then look up assemble.

Then find out that a federal project of that size is built across the entire US to spread the pork out.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You want to blame someone? Blame Rick Perry. That ******* kept pissing off Obama.....and Obama said **** you, No shuttle for Houston.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yeah...we also have assholes who like to jump up and SPRAY PAINT racial slurs on that mock-up that is parked at JSC.:roll eyes:

13. Nook

Nook Member

Mayor Parker has a wife, not a "partner"... The PC bull**** is out of control.

I actually had associate attorney of mine introduce his wife to me as his partner. Later at the party I asked why he kept referring to his wife as "partner". He said partner is better because it accommodates homosexuals and didn't want to offend. He then said gender is a social creation made to repress people and it would be disrespectful to call his "partner" his wife.

I fired him.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the context of the story "partner" is correct because she was her partner up until she married her. Now she is her wife but for reference to identify her she is noted as "partner". Also in Texas she is still her partner because Texas doesn't recognize gay marriages.
    I hope you are joking.

15. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

And I've been on unemployment ever since, you b*stard. Oh, and my partner left me for another partner as I was unable to find employment. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZYQ53jxl3x8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And Kennedy could have stuck the MSC in Cambridge, San Jose or cleared out a couple of floors at TI and gotten better engineering talent; so we should probably count our blessings.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Alright... Then she married her girlfriend. I just find the excessive PC term partner to be absurd, but that is just me.

No, I am not kidding. I cannot have employees that lack complete common sense and judgment. It is especially true when you are dealing with lawyers that constantly must make decisions that involve huge amounts of money and must argue in front of and convince a jury. This same attorney filed a complaint that we have a rest area outside the ladies room and not the men's room... That we had a Christmas tree in the lobby and that I gave my employees off the week before Christmas and after Christmas... Stating I was pushing my religious beliefs on him. The last straw was when he wanted 6 months paid paternity leave and to work from the home full time because he was going to raise his child while his wife traveled. I told him work or be sacked... After not showing up for two weeks I stopped paying him... He called complaining.... I told him to have a good life.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And don't forget the HR pro-tip: you then posted about it on the internet in a public forum! :grin:

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Mayor Parker needs to mix in a salad. One of my friends (who is gay) claims that she's a bad figurehead for Houston's gays because she's so fat. He's seriously embarrassed by it.