1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Tanking for Tua. Get er done, @fertitta.

If people recall, Holgorsen is also doing this with Carr. Doesn't this seem like they're manipulating the redshirt rules? Have other schools done this so blatantly?

2. dc rock

Or is this all an elaborate way to get Logan Holgorsen major playing time at QB? :confused:

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Corbin can leave. Need to let that Singleton kid get some reps

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This is beyond strange. It doesn’t feel right to say the least. It’s like throwing in the towel for this year, and I don’t care what King is saying, it feels very much like he’s going to bail on the UH program. I can imagine that it would be very uncomfortable to stay in Houston and finish his degree after quitting on the team during the season, so maybe that’s why he’s saying he will be back, but logically it just doesn’t make much sense. I really hope I’m wrong!

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

Did King get hurt?

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I agree.

I cannot envision a scenario where King is under center next year.

People say Ed Oliver "quit" and he was hurt and had tens of millions of dollars on the line.

King actually *did* quit and it appears to be purely because he feels like this year's team isn't worth his time.

I don't want him back, personally. He can finish up his degree, but in terms of football, we need to move on.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It’s an unprecedented knife in the back if he does leave, especially if he takes Corbin with him to wherever is next. My guess is that he plays nice for a few months, graduates, and then gets the hell out of town when the attention has died down. Again, I really hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think I’m going to be. We’ll see!

DonnyMost likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

D'Eriq King has entered the transfer portal.

tinman likes this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Didnt keenum play like 7 seasons here? Let this man rock. This season is over.

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't think King or Corbin will play another snap for UH. They are saying they will be back now, but it would be a huge shock to me if they came back and played for us in 2020.

It seemed like the plan was for Clayton Tune to redshirt this year since he had to burn his freshman year when King was injured last year. Does he start now or do they let Holgorsen's kid play and keep the redshirt on Tune.

I think we will know a lot when we see who starts Saturday,

Here is something else to ponder what if Tune plays and balls the **** out if King does come back here does he move back to WR.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I would like to see Bryson Smith at qb. Season is over anyway. Let’s see what he can do.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Not overly concerned. Neither player was going to be back after this season anyway and the Tulane loss really didn’t lend much optimism the rest of this season.

If they redshirt and play next year, great. With all the transfers on defense becoming eligible, the team could be quite good. If they both leave, then UH is where they were going to be had they graduated.

The way Dana does things is very different than what these kids are used to and he will need to get his players in.

As for the remainder of this year, losing will not help with recruiting but after the Tulane loss there wasn’t a lot of optimism for the remainder anyway. Now they can look at other quarterbacks.

YOLO likes this.
  13. dc rock

The Chronicle says Tune is now the starter.

I think if Tune plays well and was likely to start again next year, King would definitely leave. I don't really remember Tune's performances last season. I just hope he can be more accurate on passes longer than ten yards. King was terrible with that this year.

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If Tune is accurate in the short and medium passes he can thrive in this system. That's what King hasn't done I can't count all the times he has airmailed bubble screens and short easy throws so far in the first 4 games.

15. dc rock

I looked up his stats for the last game and was surprised how inaccurate he was (16/33). 13/25 against WSU. 14/27 against Oklahoma.

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I think his completion pct is 52.7 through 4 games and he's averaging 6ypa. That is just beyond terrible with the speed we have at WR.

dc rock likes this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This is exactly why I think the redshirt thing is BS. It’s not going to happen, but if Tune, or whoever, did come in and play great, what was the advantage or the point of doing any of this? What established QB is going to allow himself even the slightest possibility of entering into a quarterback controversy going into his final season? They aren’t going to come out and say it, but these two guys are long gone. My guess is that they both go somewhere as a package deal together, and that really sucks. Again, I hope I’m wrong!

18. Poloshirtbandit

Got mop up time in a few blowout games (TSU, Tulane and ECU) and started vs Memphis and the bowl game vs Army. Looked not good in the Memphis game. I can't speak on the Army game, I cut it off halfway into the first quarter.

dc rock likes this.
  19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Here are his numbers from last year when King went down.

Tulane 6/15 108 yds 2 td's 1 int King went down around mid game

Memphis 18/ 43 256 yds 3td's 1 int was sacked 5 times

Army 21/32 230yds 1 td 0 ints sacked 10 times.

He didn't throw the ball bad, but seeing all the sack numbers I seem to remember him not getting rid of the ball, but not a big shock with a true freshman thrust into the starting job like he was.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

WHAT IF, King was told he was being moved to wide receiver and a new QB was starting? King has been very inaccurate on mid range to longer throws so far. Something is going on behind the scenes and we are only getting "part" of the story. All those overthrown passes were game changers. AND, most of the receivers were wide open.