1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Houston Chronicle] Astros re-sign Brad Ausmus to one-year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Oct 30, 2007.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

rocketfat, I think you know $2 million isn't going to cripple this franchise or the offseason. Is it overpaid out of respect? Sure, but in the long run, it's no big deal.

I agree; this would be something to be concerned about. And I know the Astros have said for years that Ausmus might play less, but then it never actually happens that way. But think about it; when's the last time the Astros have had an alternative to Ausmus that could actually hit or (in Towles' case) had the projected talent to hit? When Munson was hot in the middle of the summer, he routinely played 2 out of 5 (and occasionally 3 out of 5), essentially splitting time with Ausmus. And that's Eric freakin' Munson.

If the Astros actually have an alternative (and in this case, they definitely do), I don't see why Ausmus can't take the 1 out of 5 mentor role. It's not as if we have veteran starters (other than Roy) like Pettitte and Clemens who would demand that Ausmus be their guy.

2. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

no, i'm quibbling over the fact that they are paying 2 million plus to brad ****ing ausmus. he isnt worth league min. he's worthless.

i'll take that bet, but simplify it to ausmus playing 50 games or more. forget the towles getting injured factor. and it amazes me that you are confident that you will win that bet, yet think that it's a good move paying brad ****ing ausmus 2 million + to play far under 50 games.

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I can't believe we're spending this brobdingnagian sum on a back-up catcher who'll only provide valuable veteran mentoring to a young, promising prospect at a very difficult position, caddying our star pitcher, and generally providing advice to the pitching staff and acting as another coach in the clubhouse.

WHAT ARE WE THINKING?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think it is a reasonable move to pay a veteran backup catcher with the knowledge that Ausmus has of the Astros system 2 million dollars for a one year contract.

I think it would be a questionable move for another team to pay him 2 million dollars.

I think it is a reasonable budget for a team to spend 2.3 million or so on the catcher position, which is what the Astros have done.

I'll even take out the caveat that Towles (or whoever) stays healthy.

I'll pay $50 to the tipjar the day after Ausmus starts his 50th game in 2008 if you pay $50 to the tipjar the day after it is mathematically impossible for Ausmus to start game number 50.

5. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

simple answer: never. they've never addressed the catcher's spot while he's been with the franchise. they don't understand that he's worthless, and have never attempted to find somebody better. now they are going into this season with a rookie behind the plate that they are hoping to catch lightening in a bottle with, with that decision being based on him swinging a hot bat the final 2 weeks of the season (which i didn't have a problem with because i was hoping that meant i'd never have to watch ausmus attempt to play baseball again), and if he falters early, rest assured ausmus will be behind the plate for 3 or 4 out of 5 shortly thereafter.

this organization is run ass backwards.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's not a lightning in the bottle situation like Luke Scott in 2005, where they're hoping against hope that a mediocre prospect catches fire and becomes great. Towles has been a legitimate solid prospect for some time, and they're going to be much more patient with him if he falters than someone like Munson or Quintero. I'm sure there's some point where he would lose playing time, but I'm guessing it's a lot lower than you think.

7. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

done deal, and i'd never be happier to lose $50, and i hope i can pay it before the season even starts because ausmus snaps his acl in spring training.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If I lose, I'll even make the tipjar donation in your name so you can become a "contributing" member (if Clutch allows that sort of thing).

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

2 million is a fair price to pay for a guy who still is one of the better players defensively at a position where the talent is a little thin, and for a guy who can provide invaluable information to whoever takes over the starting role, whether it be JR Towles or someone else. You just don't let a guy like Ausmus go to another organization....for the same reason you sign guys like Nolan Ryan, Jeff Bagwell, Roger Clemens and Craig Biggio to personal services contracts when they retire.

10. superden

superden Contributing Member

You obviously don't understand how important defense and calling games are do you rocketfat? He sucked at offense, but the guy knows how to call games. Roy O, Pettitte, and Clemens had nothing but good things to say about him as a catcher. He wouldn't be that big of a liability if we had more hitting at the top of the order. The fact Everett, Ausmus, and pitcher spot are right after one another, that is what cripples us. If we had better hitting, it lightens the load of Everett and Ausmus. He is in the later years of his career, but the guy KNOWS baseball and people expect him to be a manager one day. 2 million isn't going to break Mclane's piggy bank. So seriously, what the hell did Ausmus do to you? You really need to chill out.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I agree he can call a good game, but he cant play defense anymore. I can steal 2nd on him...probably even 3rd.

12. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

can't believe people are complaining about the money... it's draytons you think that little of an amount is going to matter whether they sign a quality FA or not?
    no one complained last year when biggio got his contract.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

"Yes AROD, we would love to give you $30 million a year. But you see, we gave Brad Ausmus $2 million so we can only offer you $28 million."

14. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

ok show me any research that indicates a catcher's or anyone ability to call a game has a causal relationship to ERA

15. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I don't know about that. His arm may be gone, but I think it's more important to have a catcher who can block on a two-strike pitch in the dirt with runners on base.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go look at any pitching staff with Mitch Meluskey.

I like the move if only to solidify his future role as a manager here. He's leadership on a team with a green manager and offensive stars prone to bonehead decision making.

With the Biggio/Bagwell era officially over, we can use a guy like him around.

17. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

As long as Ausmus doesn't play very much, i guess the move isn't bad. By all accounts he's a professional and might serve as a good role model for towles and some of the younger players. If he's catching only once every 5 games then he's not going to be hurting the team. Not helping the team either, but at least not hurting it anymore.

The distressing part of the move isn't related to what ausmus will provide on the field but more about what it says about the organization's philosophy or lack there of. To a team on a budget giving 2 million + to what should be a backup catcher isn't a wise investment. Sure he could help mentor Towles, but so could an Alan Ashby or a number of other well regard former catchers that you could hire as a bench/bullpen coach. The team's success in the recent past has been more in spite of, then helped by ausmus. That the team didn't, and apparently now still doesn't, understand this basic point reflects poorly on them.

18. Major

Major Member

Why? A 1-yr $2MM deal is not going to affect any of the other team's moves in any way, shape, or form. How is it a bad investment?

19. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

umm, because he is terrible at the game of baseball. now, how is it a good investment?

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

Are you kidding?

Because if you aren't, your credibility on the subject just went out the window.