1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] Astros re-sign Brad Ausmus to one-year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Oct 30, 2007.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5257947.html

The Astros re-signed catcher Brad Ausmus Tuesday, giving the 38-year-old a one-year contract worth $2 million plus incentives.

Ausmus hit .235 with three home runs and 25 RBIs in 117 games with the ballclub last season.

The 2008 season will be Ausmus' 10th with the club and eighth of this, his second stint in Houston.

"Brad has had a solid big league career and, despite the fact that he’s played for a couple of other teams, he considers himself to be a lifelong Astro,” general manager Ed Wade said. “We’re very pleased to have him back for 2008. We know that he can make a significant contribution on the field, and we know the impact he has in our clubhouse. Additionally, he can help mentor a young catcher like J.R. Towles, which will make both J.R. and the Astros better."

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Before some people get bent out of shape, Brad said that if he came back, he wanted to be a backup. Expect Towles to get the majority of playing time with Ausmus being Oswalt's personal catcher.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Doesn't matter. People will still get their panties in a wad over this. It's a good, cheap deal to give Towles the mentor he needs.

4. msn

msn Member

OH FRICKING NO NOT BRAD ASSMUNCH!!!!!1!!1!!!111

...just kidding. I like the deal for all the reasons already cited.

That, and the old fart is *still* better defensively than half the catchers in the NL (spoken casually, not as a specific percentage, so put your slide rule back down!).

5. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

who would get mad at this? he is backup for JR.

i think JR should catch some of Roy's games though. roy is the ace and should be able to call his own game plus he would get more run support.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Brad is still a solid backup catcher. Add clubhouse leadership and such (esp. with Bidge leaving), and it's a plus deal.

And in a large emergency situation, he can catch full-time as necessary..

7. kevwun

kevwun Member

No problem with this deal, he'll only be a backup. Towles is supposed to be very good defensively already, so Ausmus can focus on helping him learn how to call games.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Good move given the reasons above...Now, we just need some quality pitching behind O...

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Fair enough, if he's catching for RO. But they better get going with making some moves, even if it's just moves to resurrect our desolate farm system.

Evan

10. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

What a waste of money!

11. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

talk about a team headed in the right direction! :rolleyes:

words cant describe how disgusting this.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You really think that signing Ausmus as the backup catcher for one year and minimal dollars (relatively speaking) is disgusting?

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If this is something he finds "disgusting", he must led a pretty charmed life.

14. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I've been waiting for this. Ausmus tutoring Towles for a year is a good thing. Rocketfat, I thought the retirement of Bidge would have quieted your vitriol towards the 'stros. :rolleyes:

15. bobrek

Here are some sample averages and OBP of backup catchers in the NL:

Reds - .203 .271
    Cards - .252 .286
    Brewers - .237 .296
    D'backs - .224 .292
    Rockies - .218 .330
    Giants - .231 .276
    Padres - .242 .281
    Dodgers - .234 .280

I suspect there may be some with some gaudy stats, but backup catchers generally don't provide much offense (at least in the NL).

16. msn

msn Member

Cloud some good trolling with senseless facts. Jeeeeeeez.

The last thing one needs, when trolling a bulletin board, is clarity.

17. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

sweet stats dude. now show me the salaries of all the "backup" catchers around the league, then show me how many STARTERS ausmus will be getting paid more then.

i am willing to take any and all bets that the loser starts more games than every other proclaimed "backup" catcher in the league.

$2million+ just to provide advice to jr towles? are you guys really that naive and dense? and if that was truly the case, that is a good move? lolol. we are an organization who has completely lost their way, and it's looking like we aint gonna be finding it anytime soon.

thanks again mom and dad, for not dropping me on my head as a baby!

18. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

19. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

hi i am msn. every move my favorite teams' management and front office makes is correct. anybody who thinks differently is wrong and stupid and i will call them a cool internet message board name like "troll" or "newbie".

we get it already, kiddo. now do us all a favor and never post again.

20. bobrek

Here are the backup salaries from the stats I quoted (incidentally, the Giants backup should be about .250 and .284):

Reds - 1.6 million
    Cards - 850,000
    Brewers - 2.25 million
    D'backs - 380,000
    Rockies - 381,000
    Giants - 382,000
    Padres - 4.5 million
    Dodgers - 1.1 million

Are you really quibbling over 2 million? Essentially the Astros top two catchers will combine for about 2.3 million which is probably far less then the majority of the teams.

I'll make you a tipjar bet right now that as long as Towles remains healthy (no more than 1 trip to the DL), Ausmus will start less than 50 games.