1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

House Votes to Authorize Boehner to Sue Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://online.wsj.com/articles/house-votes-to-authorize-boehner-to-sue-obama-1406760762

So the republicans don't like obamacare, but they are suing so they can make it come sooner?

I think Democrats should have pushed harder for Single payer system. I think obamacare is pretty much a republican plan.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Obama made the change because the launch was so rough that strict enforcement of the law was going to cause a problem. Republicans want it to have problems, so of course they're going to pursue strict application of the law. But, it sounds to me like they have a good argument. I don't think a president should be able to play so fast and loose with the enforcement of laws enacted by the legislature. I'm glad he did because I want Obamacare to succeed, and by flouting the language of the law he bought the system some time, but there also has to be a reckoning somewhere to check presidential power. I suppose I hope Obama loses after a long, drawn-out case.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Can't make this **** up!

One day after suing the president for executive action the house punts on a border bill and tells the president he has the authority to use executive action on the border crises.

Boehner's congress is a joke.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They have a terrible legal argument because they have no standing.

They have even worse political argument because even if they are successful legally, the logical remedy is further implementation of the law that they are allegedly trying to save us from.

This is purely a move to forestall the crazies from dragging themselves and the party down with impeachment around midterms. But Boehner is bungling it as usual. Though maybe if they it's hard to say what the proper course for him is as ringmaster of the crazies

5. Major

Major Member

I don't think they have a good legal argument. The Executive Branch exists to implement laws, and they've always had practical flexibility in doing so. The delay was, in part, because systems weren't in place to actually implement it - so it would have been arguably impossible to implement on time. Bush similarly delayed parts of Medicare D expansion and admins have always dealt with delays and adjustments when implementing new programs or departments. Amusingly, the House *wanted* Obama to also delay the individual mandate at the time, even using executive power to do so. They didn't seem to have a problem with that.

Beyond that, I'm not sure the remedy here even if the House wins the suit. The case won't conclude until well after the requirement is already in place.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/201...ed-the-enrollment-period-for-medicare-part-d/

In May of 2006, just days before the end of open enrollment, President Bush took administrative action towaive “penalty fees for very low-income seniors and people with disabilities who sign up late” and allowed “the same impoverished beneficiaries to sign up for Medicare drug coverage until Dec. 31.”

“In other words, you can apply after May 15th without penalty,” Bush told seniors during an event in Florida. “And that’s important for low-income seniors to understand.”

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Soo . . in the end . . . it is Political Theater

Rocket River
    Where's the popcorn . . .enjoy the show

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

If they were too do there jobs this waste of time wouldn't be called for suing the president just nonsense.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Goverment has little interesting in governing.
    It is mostly postering and lining their own pockets

What is BEST for America comes a VERY DISTANT 4th or 5th

Rocket River

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The legislative branch of the government should worry about legislating. Is that too much to ask for these days?

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

There is a reason why Congress has a lower approval rating than gonorrhea.

#10 fchowd0311, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And Jar Jar ****ing Binks.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Clown show continues.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Obama should have pushed single payer or universal.

14. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Who were the Republicans who voted against going forward with the suit?

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree completely. AHCA is a boon to the insurance companies and ultimately isn't affordable. Plus it is huge complex incomprehensible mess that may never be sorted out. Many parts will have to be repealed because they are so unworkable. A means tested "Medicare" for all plan would have been best.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wise politicians try to pass legislation because they have something good to pass; Foolish politicians because they have to try to and pass something.

We got just "something" instead of "something good"

18. Major

Major Member

Examples?

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

Can't argue with that this is just sad its time to change what there doing.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

A sitting president can shut down any lawsuit or criminal investigation right? Outside of impeachment aren't they legally untouchable?